Why do I feel so empty and unfulfilled in my profession? How do I overcome this?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Fairysparks
Find a hobby that matches your souls purpose find out what makes you feel joy ☺ you will find it ☺☺ Then when you do and everything about your vibration is positive because you are happy . That's when the magic happens like attracts like ☺
MarkishaNanceLCSW
Unfortuanetly we have taught to use our jobs & professions to complete us. The problem with that is we are often never told to seek out or passions and make that our passion/career. Sometimes there are times in our career that we feel we have reached a learning plateau or feel stagnant in our skill usage. We feel boxed in and often don't feel useful. You have a unique set of skills and talents that far outweigh your present profession and job. Your value is becasue of the person you are and not on the job you have. Use your current feelings to spark an inner investigation on who you are out side of the job. Also, use this time to give some thought to your dreams, passions and desires that bring you the greatest fulfillment and joy. I would be interested in hearing more about your profession. If you feel you need to explore this issue more formally feel free to reach out to me. I am on the therapist list. Be encouraged because things will get better. : )
SMLHappy
I have had that feeling too. I think most people have moments of stagnation in their professional lives. When I feel like this I think about how I bring value to my role. Not just for the company, but also for those that I touch everyday in my job. However, if you do not feel like your profession is right for you anymore, it may be time to find out what may make you happy. :)
if you feel bored or empty in the profession you are in, that's maybe because your job is not what you love doing its just something you do to meet ends means. Best if you can look for a job that you love and that can support u at the same time.
AutumnLeigh
It is difficult....especially to those who have studied and gotten degrees at University for a job at a certain profession, to feel empty. This is especially true in Psychology and Psychiatry. I've seen many people affect me negatively because of their boredom in a 'Customer Service' area. If you have the gift and are feeling unfulfilled or not serving your purpose, it is wise to give yourself a break! If you cannot do that without negative reaction from employers, I find that venting here....as much as is needed...is truly healing and uplifting. If nothing helps you help others at your profession, I urge people to dig deep into themselves and find what truly attracts them as a profession. Going back to school at an older age is no longer rare and you STILL can feel fulfilled by seeking out other training/degrees and finding your purpose in life!
Ummi
When you do not have a profession that you love, you end up feeling empty, lonely and demotivated. It is extremely important to keep looking for something that you will love to do. Don't stop looking and like with all matters of the heart, you will know when you find it
ladycat946
Maybe you are too hard on yourself. Try to write at the end of your day 3 things you did well today.
cruellastar
You feel empty and unfulfilled because you don't like your job. You don't have a passion on what you are doing, So, analyze yourself, what do you like to do? Find something you love and do it.
Junghwa
I think I would feel empty and unfulfilled if I have to work at a place for maybe 40 years. That's why I tell myself now that once I see my job as a routine because I'm used to working there, that I will switch jobs. That way my career will never be a boring routine and I'll always be facing new challenges.
HonestTangerine
Hi there, First of all, I can understand how difficult it can be to find a fulfilling career. It is certainly an ideal that many of us find difficult to achieve. Ihave found that we can find fulfilment in helping others somehow. Is there a way you can help others or better the planet in your job? If not, I suggest that doing your best, and taking pride in your work can give you SOME fulfilment. If you really dislike your job, maybe it would be worth a look at changing careers as well. Many of us manage a somewhat unfulfilling career by finding something we love to do after hours, like dance, or yoga, or volunteering, gardening, sports, animals. Some of us help fill the emptiness inside also by nurturing a relationship with divinity as we understand it. Wishing you much Love and Success ~ Honest Tangerine
Anonymous
If you improve your self confidence and also have hope to the future you will overcome this Confidence and hope are main points
MizzyBebeUniCorn
Tell people how long you've come from working so hard at what you've done. Then you'll feel like you have accomplished something.
Anonymous
Sometimes people are not working a position that meets or challenges their potential. Is this the case for you? Maybe it is time to think about advancement it taking on some additional responsibility.
AwesomeLibrarian
It may help to reconnect with why you originally loved your job. Like an old lover, the beginning feelings for a job may fade and have to be spruced up again. If you find that the love is lost between you and your job, this is okay too! It might mean it's time to find a new job that will spark your passion and make you feel alive again.
Vanessaishere
Think positive about every situation your out in foucs on your main goal which is making yourself happy take some time out to relax and give yourself a break.
KristenHR
If I'm not feeling fulfilled, I try to identify why. Maybe it's not my profession at all, but my need or desire to do something meaningful that has nothing to do with my profession, such as a special volunteer job. Using personal self-talk and finding your worth in your profession - what you do good there, what you are good at, the impact you make and so on can be positives for improving fulfillment. Sometimes seeking a career coach could be helpful.
Flawlessinsanity21
I can't imagine why you would feel empty and unfulfilled in your profession. Especially since it is your profession. I assume it is what you are interested in. Then again, maybe you feel empty and unfulfilled because you aren't interested? Maybe a different job in your area of profession may help change these feelings?
Ballard
Rather than trying to "overcome* this feeling altogether, it would be wise to wonder what's really leading you to feel like this. Is this not what you wanted after all? Are you feeling unsatisfied in all other parts of your life as well? What could you do to make yourself feel more? Whatever measures you take on your journey of finding what's causing this, just don't try to shove it in the corner. There's no cheating feelings that make you uneasy.
WaltDisney
Overcoming this may be difficult. Consider why you chose the job first of all what drew you to it.) I don't really have much else advice but contact me if you need a chat x
SeanW
Being honest with your life goals and ambitions is a good start. Ask yourself honest questions, what does fulfill you? Deciding what to do once you have passion towards a goal is the easy part.
Fraz
Usually, it is when you're doing something you don't like. To overcome this, there's always the option of exploring new avenues. Also, seeking professional help might also help.
Anonymous
You could try to review what you think you are missing and you could go back to school to see if you want to change your profession
supportiveSunshine22
If you feel so... you should look forward for another opportunity & try playing with hobbies.. that can help
Anonymous
September 22nd, 2016 2:21am
You may need a vacation or some other self-treat to reboot your passion. It's also possible that you may need to really mix it up and find a new passion or hobby. If we focus on our one thing too long, we become worn down and lose focus on why we started the one thing to begin with. Breaks are necessary.
AndyJensen
The answer isn't easy to state. There are times in all people's lives where they feel they aren't accomplishing what they set out to do, or what they always thought they wanted when they grow up. As in all things, situations change. Time changes. People change. It's important to do what makes you feel whole, or more importantly, WORK FOR and PROVIDE for whatever makes you feel whole. True, maybe you're job is a little on a bland side, but who else besides you is counting on that job? Is it really just who? Who else would you let down if you left? Of course, if better, more fulfilling opportunities arise, take them, by all means, but remember that most of us didn't start working just because we wanted to work. We had goals. And the goals can still be the same.
WarriorInTraining
You need to look inside, see if this is really the profession you want to be in for the rest of your life. If the answer to that question is no, then pick up and move on! You make your own choices in life and no one is holding you back from doing what you love !
Anonymous
Perhaps, you chose the wrong profession for yourself based on your personal interests/passion. Do you think that it would be feasible now to switch professions given your current situation? It might be worth it to consider brushing up on the skills necessary for different jobs that might better interest you.
ChloeKoala
March 3rd, 2017 9:34pm
There can be many reasons why this happens. I have been there many times. Myself I have found it has been because my expectations of the job were different to the job itself. When the 'honeymoon period' of the new role ends you start to see what you dislike about it. Talking to a trusted colleague or friend may help give you a new perspective. If you are willing to adapt to make it better then that's already a good step. If you find your job unbearable there is no shame in looking for a new career path. It can be scary though so try and have somebody there to help you through the choices you make
BeyondEmpathy
I find myself wondering if your searching for something in your profession that should instead be coming from within? Often we look externally to satisfy that which we struggle to see within ourselves. Maybe talking with one of our listeners can help you identify those aspects that you'd like to gain in life.
YourCanadianFriendEm
Well first, think to yourself, is it the profession or your workplace? If it's the profession itself, maybe try and branch off from it but still using your qualifications. Goodluck!