How do I tell my boss I'm leaving? (nicely)?

Jamie Sclafani , LMSW

I have an holistic approach to therapy. There is definitely not a "one size fits all" solution. Each person is unique, as is their situation.

youlive - Expert in Work Stress
You can tell him that eventually you're not felling good and that you need some space. So, you're leaving because of those things
Anonymous
Just say Hi (name) I have enjoyed my time here but I'd like to move on to more sorry but this is mee
Be honest with you boss. Tell him/her why you decided to leave and how much u appreciate your bosses support in this.
Anonymous
I'm leaving my good sir/Madam/ma'am and I wish you well *tips ferdora* (this will show how classy you are and leave your boss stunned at the awesomeness
RahRah86
You can sit down with them, explain that you have a new opportunity elsewhere and also thank them for the experience and opportunities you have had at this work place.
Anonymous
Thank him/her for the opportunity they have given you to work for the company and tell them that you have reached a point in your life that you want to have new experiences
June 2nd, 2016 5:54am
Hmm.... that is a good question. One that can be really challenging and difficult to think about. You may even feel that this is not something you want to deal with or face depending on how long you have been at your job. As difficult as it may be ,you might want to prepare yourself for the situation beforehand. Perhaps think out what you want to say, write it down, go over it and decide what is best for you. If you find it to be to hard to figure out on your own, perhaps seeking some guidance or support could help. Whether it be a friend, a partner, or another trusted person who can possibly help you to the situation a different way.
comfortingRose91
It has been an honorable and pleasurable experiance to work for you. However, I have to leave now. Thank you very much for caring for me!
BaseballGuy
Tell him that you are leaving and this is something that I need to do. It is going to better my life and make me happy.
Anonymous
First explain how you are extremely grateful for the opportunity you were given at the company, but unfortunately there was a more promising job opportunity that became available.
Anonymous
I've been in your position before. The best way is to write a professional letter explaining that you are resigning, your reason for leaving and that you appreciate the valuable learning experience you got from your work experience. There are wonderful online resources for sample letters to help you out. Good luck.
HereToHelpYou742
Tell them that you are having some personal struggles and you think it would be best to leave. Do this about a week or two in advance so they can prepare for you leaving.
DG943
You can say "I want to give you two weeks notice that I will be leaving. It has been a pleasure working for you and I wish you good luck in the future"
runningshoe
Be honest and give only the needed information. Thank them for the opportunity to work there, and ensure you provide them with enough notice in advance of leaving.
Marazcona
This can vary greatly because it depends on very many variables. Without knowing anything more, I can suggest that you set aside any emotions you may have attached to the reasons for your departure and write it down on a piece of paper. Then you could reflect and make a list of all the positive things you learned or experienced during your employment. This will help you have a clear picture of your growth and and once you can comfortably state the without getting emotional, you ask your boss for a meeting. During this meeting you
Comrade8
You can put it in writing. A formal letter and in the end thank the company (or your boss) for the opportunity, etc. After that you can thank him (if you want to you can give a small token of appreciation like a personalised coffee cup or a card) and express your gratitude in person.
Anonymous
tell them at first how much you were happy working for them , and you've learned so much from them , appreciate him and no matter how you thank them it's not enough .. but it's time for you to do some thing new .. and you've to leave them to new step in your life and so on ..
victor
You obviously have many choices. My opinion, I believe if you are simple you will be nice. If you really wants to leave you should not be too nicely. Because, he will want to keep you and bosses wants nice people to represent their company.
NoManIsAnIsland
You have to be direct and politely as you tell your reasons. Remember to keep your tone leveled too.
Anonymous
Just be honest and courteous, smile and make sure to pull him to the side after the days work to talk privately.
presocratics
Why "nicely," as opposed to expressing yourself honestly and in such a way as to represent your respect for your boss and your respect for yourself?
Anonymous
Politely confront them in a private room where no one else is around. Try to tell them that this job was not right for you at the moment.
Anonymous
The first thing to do is to write down a list of all the pros and cons of leaving your job. Then, start drafting up a letter. The most important things that you must do no matter what the situation, is to remain on positive terms with all of your managers. Even if the job and the treatment there is literally the worst, remain on good terms with your managers. You will need to write a letter suggesting that you would like/need to try something different, are going for training elsewhere, but would definitely like to stay in contact with the company should things not work out. Play heavily on the whole 'I would like to come back one day' unless you have such a major complaint it would be worth suing over - and then you just keep your letter as neutral as possible. Unless it is a situation where you really absolutely have no choice but to sue - but.. that is something you would need legal advice over, and I doubt that this question is referring to that situation. Hope this helps.
connect2STR
Bring a certain series of situations and tell him what you feel about your job in a polite way. If your boss is a wise man, he will understand it but he will also try to convince you though. Its up to you how you handle the situation.
Anonymous
September 22nd, 2016 2:38am
"I'm leaving!" "Thanks for this opportunity, but..." "It's been a great [x years/months], but I'm moving on to better things." You have no responsibility to be 'nice,' just be professional!
Anonymous
I recently left my job at a factory to follow my dreams of being a nurse. I simply went in to the bosses office and said I am sorry but I am following my heart to become a nurse and I would like put my 2 weeks in. He completely understood and was happy I was following my dreams
ams96
Leaving a job can be a very bittersweet thing, especially if you enjoy your job. The proper thing when leaving a job is usually writing something called a resignation letter (you can google them and it will bring up some great examples/formats to follow). I would see if you can schedule a quick meeting with your boss, let them know that you are pursuing another job, and give them the letter.
BonViveur
You should speak to them privately, try to say something positive about your experience working for them, perhaps thank them for employing you, and simply tell them that you wish to give notice that you are leaving.
beautifulDog55
Explain that you have enojyed your job and that you appreciate your time there but you feel it's time to go on to something new
Anonymous
By letting your boss know that how great were the moments with him in your success path and you are taking his best part with you in his teachings.