What do I do when my coworkers are harassing me?

Australia

Lauren Brody, Advanced diploma in counselling and psychology

I work in supporting individuals in reclaiming their lives from overwhelming thoughts and emotions and help them to take control

TheSilentHelperMonica
Employees should notify their employer if they feel that they have been discriminated against or harassed. Employees can review their employee handbooks to determine who they should contact within the company. Often, employees can report the conduct directly to their supervisor, but other times, and in particular where the harasser is the supervisor, employees should report the conduct to Human Resources or an equivalent department.
Amysmiles1
When co-workers are harassing you the best thing you can do is to report it to your leadership team. A work environment should be a professional environment not someplace you dread going.
heycrysteezy
January 2nd, 2015 6:32pm
When I have been in situations like this, I kept a written record of EVERYTHING. Wrote down the comments word for word, and their actions as they were committed, with time stamps and dates. Nobody else has to know what you are doing. In the meantime, it is imperative that you not fight back. Let them continue doing what they are doing. When you have enough information and evidence, you can take the next step and report them. Always ALWAYS keep your cool and take a deep breath. Don't let them see that what they are doing affects you. Vent to someone who isn't from your place of work, and let it all out when you are far away. Never let anyone see that you're upset. It will help your case when you finally report the harrassment.
vanna
If you are being harassed, reporting it to a manager/HR is the best thing to do. They will protect your anonymity and your job if those coworkers give you any trouble! I was being harassed at work once, and when I told my manager, she told him he needed to go home. They are on your side :)
Anonymous
1. Do not attack them. This will reveal that you are succumbing to their baits. 2. Try to put on a face of : I couldn't care less. 3. Grant them favors, but if they think they are using you to get things easily, avoid their requests. 4. Try making friends with people of your own kind. Like, if you are a book reader, find them and be with them. You will eventually have a group of people who will help you. 5. Don't take it to the authority. It will make you look weak to both the bullies and the authority. 6. Start getting better at your job. Be that much good, so that those bullies have to come to you for work support. 7. Avoid them as much as possible. 8. If everyone from your work bullies you, change your job. 9. Don't get depressed. Try to stay in good mood. Use music, books, movies for support. And also talk to friends who are close, or family members who understand you.
Anonymous
I calmly think that perhaps it has more to do with them then it has to do with me, if not then I investigate it further by asking them directly and calmly why they act the way they do towards me.
How bad are they harassing you? If it is really bad please consider to report them. If it is something you can handle always remember you are the person that gives power to their harassing. If you don't bother or get effected with their attitude they will realize that is is not effecting you and stop.
Anonymous
I would express to them how their harassment makes you feel. If they continue the behavior, I would contact HR or upper management to talk with them and try to resolve. Remember, anyone who treats you badly is a representation of their own personal problems and insecurities. Do not take what they say to you personally!
simmi1612
Dont give them any chance to harass you. Face them with utter courage to show them that you are not affected by their behavior. Talk to your HR department.
HeyItsMeLiz
This is unacceptable behavior. Call your HR representative and talk to them anonymously about the person bothering you.
Anonymous
Speaking from personal experience, you should consider reporting their behavior to a manager or calling an anonymous HR line. It seems like they are creating a hostile work environment and you should feel safe and well at work.
CrisMaia
You should tell your supervisor or your employer about whats going on. They should know how to take care of whats going on.
The best and first thing you could do is really looking at the situation. Make sure you ask yourself if the things going on are in good fun or are you truly being harrassed? If you are in a situation that is making you feel uncomfortable then the best thing to do is follow the chains of command and report the situation to your boss or supervisor in attempts to get the situation to stop. iF that doesn't work, then go over their heads and report to the next person in line above them. NObody should have to deal or put up with any kind of harassment in the work place.
Callipiphan
Reporting it is important. Try reporting it right away. Follow the chain of command at the same time. If its a boss or manager you need to speak with the person above your boss. Some people have reported it and was fired or retaliated against. Follow the laws for wrongful termination at that point. While reporting it can be both good and bad. Its always a good thing to report it because if more than one reported issues of harassment against the same person there may be something done about it. Nothing can be done if it isn't reported though. If you have witnesses have them report it to. The more the better it can and will be handled.
LexiWright
You need to report this to your manager, I understand it makes for a uncomfortable enviroment but it is vital you report it, these people are not your friends and will only become worse the longer there are no repercussions; if your manager does not take action on your report, contact your head office/senior management and report both the staff that are harassing you and your manager for not taking appropriate action. You should be able to find this information on how to contact them on your work agreement that you would have signed at the start of your job.
AmoreBella
You tell them politely you don't like the way they are acting - or the way they are speaking for that matter - and walk away. Don't try to start a fight, that never ends well.
MoodyBloom
Is there someone with the authority to put a stop to it, and if not, do you feel like you have the power over you own being to stop having people treat you the way they do? Take a stand and go for help. You deserve a lot better.
WalkinDownRapperBlvd
Go to your manager and if that doesn't work then call the top boss as in cooperate or district manager.
Anonymous
You address this issue to you manager at work, this behavior is unacceptable and you shouldn’t be going through this silently.
Edwin
You should consider reporting them to your boss or the relevant management personnel after confronting them
Anonymous
You can inform your supervisor or whoever is in charge. No one should have to be harrassed at work, and they can do something about these rude employees.
resourcefulUnicorns38
Go right to your boss and you tell them what is going on and they will call meeting and handle it.
mcla
I think its best to talk it out with them first. If that doesn't work then I would reach out for help from a fellow coworker or just learn how to live with these things or even leave if its necessary
SassyCherry
The answer depends on the what is meant by "harassment." Typically, rude or invasive conversations can stop by telling an employer, if asking your coworkers to stop did not work. If harassment is sexual or threatening, call law enforcement immediately. There should be no tolerance for it.
Sunshine201
It's a good idea to make your supervisor or higher concerned authority, aware of your troubles as soon as possible, Continue to convey your concerns to other supportive people in the workplace, ask for their support.
Anonymous
In this case, i'd report it to your supervisors, or higher up. Take notations of anything did/said every time they happen (Write it down, in detail!), and ask them politely (a few times) to knock it off. You don't have to tolerate ANYONE treating you in a way that makes you uncomfortable or unhappy. Remember that.
SilverisSarah
December 23rd, 2017 12:24am
There are some strategies you can apply: first, try to express it clearly to your coworkers that are harassing you. If this is in vain, try to express this to your boss. In case of no joy, go to the HR department.
Briwes911
when your coworkers are harassing you go to human resources and report the incidents and keep a log of everthing
Anonymous
Good question, I work in a very culturally diverse company and team work is vital but showing results is even more vital- hence there is a lovely back stabbing culture. What I try to be is 3 simple things Work hard, turn up mentally and promote my team Be open and honest about myself and achievements and failings Embrace the mystery of life! Eventually if I do not get the support from my management or peers escalate to the next level and try go in with a smile and say let’s tackle this problem together and see how we can make it better in the future. Good luck! 🍀
CaitlinRose
Report it to your anonymous tip line if you have one. A lot of jobs have an employee assistance program who assists with things like that. If you are in a smaller company that doesn't have one, you may have to report it to your boss, but first ask your coworkers to stop the behavior on your own.