What should I do if I can't get a job?

What should I do if I can't get a job?

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 6:40am
Don't ever give up trying to find a job, even if you're rejected from many. Overgeneralizing and thinking that "everyone will reject me" does more harm than help in the long run. Always actively search for a job, but do not neglect your personal needs as well. Remember, there should always be a balance between self-care and work.
energizingHeart94
Make your own job and start a business, most of the people at their 40s go through a midlife crisis because they don't really think they did anything important in their lives except graduating, getting a 9 to 5 job, marrying and having children and that's it! most of them shift their careers and start their own businesses after that .. so I would suggest that you save yourself and start living and working on your dreams rather than working on someone else's dreams. Do it from now .. :)
GentleNinja
There are a lot of reasons that could cause you to not be able to get a job. It could be a matter of revising your resume. It could be a matter of how you present yourself at an interview. It could be that you are searching for the wrong kind of job. It could be that you do not have enough experience. It could even be because your only applying to jobs online. More often than not online job applications take less priority over in person applications. There are a variety of ways to improve your chances of getting a job. If you feel you have tried everything but still cannot get a job there are government help agencies. There are also job seekers that you can hire to help you land a job suited to your skills. It is a matter of patience, perseverance, not taking rejection personally, skills, looking for different angles, presentation, confidence, research and lastly holding hope that you will land that job eventually.
AmariHereToHelp
April 22nd, 2016 12:58am
Keep looking. Eventually you will find something that suits you well. I'm sure of that. Please, just don't give up!
PacificSunrise
Volunteer or find ways to use your skills that you have like offer tutoring or something like Fiverr. One things leads to another. You'll never know who can help you when start connecting through different channels.
Shaddow
Patience is the most important virtue that one needs to possess during this kind of situations. Have patience, and keep doing your work with full dedication. Check your mistakes and try not to repeat them. Find those areas where you fall short and then work on them. Always keep growing by setting bigger, but practical targets. Do not lose hope even if you fall short. You might fail in the beginning, but always remember that failures are the stepping stones to success. Even great people fail, Thomas Edison failed 1000 times before he finally invented a light bulb. But its not their failure that makes them great. They became great because they never gave up on their dreams and goals. So remember your dream every time you fail and keep moving towards it. :)
Oniichan
June 2nd, 2016 10:21am
You have to keep trying your best. Sometimes we are dealt a bad hand, and sometimes two bad hands. But you can't give up! You have to tell yourself things will be okay, because guess what, they will be! Sometimes you just have to be a little more patient than you're used to.
Keep applying be persistent. The only time you have really lost is when you give up. Try all sorts of ways to get the jobs e.g: recruitment agencies.
Anonymous
You should never give up and lose hope.... Life always have its ups and downs.... There is no shame in that But the real shame is giving up too soon and before trying every possible approach there is...
endlesslyinlove13
Invest your time in either polishing your skills for th type of job you had, or start searching other type of jobs you could be interested on doing.
Anonymous
Keep focused and do not loose your hope. Spend more time with people who support you and eat well ))
someonewhocares67
January 21st, 2019 5:30pm
If you can't find a job, there are multiple things you can do to increase your odds of getting employed. These things include: 1. Go where jobs are. Relocate to areas where your odds of finding a job would increase. 2. Search newspapers or online for job offerings 3. Get more skills (formal or informal education) 4. Review your resume, make sure that it matches the job your applying for. 5. Look for a job in other fields 6. Try to find the cause of you not finding a job. Is it that I'm not qualified enough? Is it my resume? etc.. Tips: 1. Apply for multiple jobs to increase your odds 2. Prepare for any interview to prevent any awkwardness or not being able to answer simple questions. 3. Make sure that your resume matches the job your applying for.
Fenixashes37
Don't stop trying to get a job. Chance are, you will get a job the more application you fill. More the better. Everyday.
Meema
A nice step in finding out "Why I cant get a job"? is to think about what have I been doing to get that job, or how have I already applied myself.
Empathy91
If you don't get a job when applying at open vacancies, try to some initiative applications. Choose a company or instituation you are really interested in. Then write a really good motivation letter where you state why you are interested in that company and what they would gain if they would employ you, be flexible, also ask for intern opportunities or part-time employment.
CaptainObviouslyOblivious
I always say to people; There's no such thing as "Can't", but there's "I think I can't", and there's "Maybe this is harder than I expected", and sometimes, it even takes a little innovation and relocating, but where there is a will, there's a way.
Unicornsparkles94
Getting a job all comes in time don't worry and just relax, if it's something you really want, do some Course or do some volenteering to support you applications! Prove that you are he right candidate for the position
Anonymous
Here's a few options when you can't seem to land a job: - try freelancing, it's a good way of keeping yourself busy, while earning some money in the meantime - take an online course, more qualifications might help you get a job more easily - blog, it helps to set your ideas in order - any job is a job, especially if you need the money. Understand that everyone has to start off somewhere, and there's no shame in starting off small. Hope this helps
Anonymous
Stay positive and dress professional also dont be nervous. Just stay calm and you will do great. Im sure youll get the job
comfortingStrawberry12
March 2nd, 2016 9:16am
Just because you didn't get one job does not mean you should give up! There are so many professions, you can do anything! Keep applying to jobs!!
Candid0211
June 2nd, 2016 11:38am
The answer probably you would find if you answer the question why do I want to do job. Sometimes job seems likes the natural progression whereas there are always other options. So once you have that answer you will be able to figure out what are the alternatives possible for you to reach you goal for example if you work for money then there is job, there are options of part time employment, your own business, financial planning. Etc. Your why would determine your action plan
KristenHR
The first thing I did when I didn't have a job and for months couldn't find one, was to not give up the hunt. Then, I made sure my needs were taken care of. As I didn't have family to help out, it required contacting a couple agencies to ask for help, such as my local food pantry and the township trustees to help with some small necessary needs for electric, meds. When nothing around my area produced a job, I started to look out of my area. That was when I was able to have things turned around - I was offered a job approximately 8 hours away, which did require a move.
SMLHappy
Getting a job can be difficult. I used to be a hiring manager. I found the best candidates knew a lot about the company and the position they were applying for. I recommend going through the job post and finding what would make you a good candidate, and make sure you let the recruiter know that! Also, write down questions about the company and the position to ask the interviewer. That would show that you have done your research and that you are very interested! Good luck!
Anonymous
It can be disheartening if you can't seem to get a job, it can also be a time to look at what areas might need some updates, have a look at your resume and maybe if possible have a friend also look at it with you and see if there are any ares that need to be changed or updated. It might also be a good time to think about doing some short courses or online courses to help boost your resume and make sure you are applying for jobs that are suited to you too.
GoodPoint
Ask for feedback from the jobs you have applied for. Employers are willing to let you know how you can improve your presentation/ skills/ resume, etc that will help you to improve your chances of getting a job. Accept the feedback with grace and be confident to move forward and keep applying.
blissfulApricot
Sit down with someone you trust, who has a job that you respect, and ask them for some frank feedback on why they think you can't get a job. Tell them you don't want to be told nice things, you want harsh criticism about why they might not employ you - ideally a list of a few things. Then work through that list with them to talk about what you might be able to do to improve the situation for each one. That then gives you a plan of action you can focus on whilst looking for a job. I fundamentally believe that noone is unemployable, barring severe health issues, you just need to find ways to bring your best qualities to the fore, and resolve any glaring obstacles that might be holding you back.
FairyGodm0ther
May 3rd, 2018 12:01am
Getting a job can be very hard no matter who you are. The best thing you can do is make yourself more marketable and get yourself out there. Here's how! 1.) Go back to school or take classes. Getting your degree in a field you love will help you find a job you love. If it's not possible for you to go to university, there are online universities, community college certificate classes and trade schools that will help you gain the knowledge and experience you need. Some of these routes even provide job assistance! 2.) Fix up your resume When your potential employers look for candidates they want someone that stands out. You can do this by having a clean and professional looking resume with some extra pizzazz. Try Canva.com or other sites to help you build a resume that stands out. Also make sure its updated often and includes unique qualities like volunteering 3.) There is strength in numbers Apply to jobs everyday! start with about 5-15 applications a day and go from there. Try different websites too such as; indeed, careerbuilder, linked in, and zip recruiter. In addition, research job sites that cater to the type of job you are looking for and the area you are looking. 4.) Go old Fashioned Most jobs you apply to require that you apply online. However get yourself out there! walk around your neighbor and introduce yourself to business owners of establishments you want to work in. Dress, speak, and act professionally, and be confident. Also talk to friends and family who may know of opportunities for you! 5.) Go to career fairs and open houses! These opportunities are all around you. Just google them in your area. Bring your updated resume and be confident and professional
Vanillamango
keep searching don't give up. while you wait, lear a talent, invent something. you're not useless :)
Anonymous
Just try to do something you like... and chose for that "something" that can be helpful for someone else...
alsem
If its your dream job then stay at it, fortune favours the bold take a few risks. But if its a job in general try broadening your skills or just go to a job agency to set you up.