I cannot work unless I find the perfect space to work, as otherwise I feel unsettled and cannot concentrate. But I don't have my own office. How can I feel more settled in temporary spaces which are not mine?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

Anonymous
Finding a Library to go to is an excellent idea. It's a place where you're expected to work, it should be a calm collected environment for you to clear your head and focus properly.
allnaturalSea39
Perhaps a 4-pronged approach: First ... identify and document your ideal ergonomics. Keyboard height, screen height, chair height. And write all this down. When you get to a new temporary office ...try to set your ergonomics to your ideal documented settings. Second ... bring a few items with you. Perhaps you have your favorite bluetooth or USB mouse. And a personal item or 2 (photo of spouse, or family, or baby). Adorn your new space with a few personal items to make it yours. Third ... smell. Maybe your favorite incense, or a splash of your spouse's cologne or perfume. A familiar smell can make the space more comfortable. Four ... sound. Maybe your ipod and earphones ...or perhaps even bluetooth speakers. Playing your favorite tunes can make you feel comfortable. Hope this helps!
SmilingMeow
its hard to fit in a temporary space but you can create your own space inside you thats makes feel you are fit for this be a confident man you can do many things . :)
HopefulLavender89
I find that being prepared with all the documents or supplies needed and carefully setting them out before you can help you feel much more comfortable and able to settle into a temporary space. The more you make it yours, the better you may feel. Even bringing some snacks or a beverage and setting it to the side may remind you that you are allowed to be comfortable there.
Ashley7CupsOfTea
What has worked for me in the past is to set a time limit in a temporary work space. For example, if I have to work in a coffee shop that is not the ideal environment, I say I will stay there for one hour only and focus on one or two primary tasks. This structure/time limit helps me focus more on the important task at hand and less about my environment.
Anonymous
Maybe get you comfortable chair, some organizers likefor books and paperwork and pencil holder good pictures that motivate you and youll be cozy
Anonymous
You can find temporary spaces and make them your own, such as a library or a conference room. If you do not have access to those types of rooms, you can purchase noise cancelling headphones to better help you concentrate.
Hope114
just make one .. make your own space to work .. make your best ... a little by little you will grow like a small seed which started under the ground .. then the small seed found it's path to it's own perfect space. And being under the ground is temporary like you said just keep remembering that and you will be fine ..
Anonymous
1. try to tell yourself this temporary office is yours, feels like it 2. comfort is all happen in your mind, create the situation that can boost up your mood to work ( soft music- if allowed | try to talk/ enggage to people around ) 3. Drink hot-Dark chocolate, to keep your good mood !
MsWhite
Personalize! Have a little board and pin up things on it — quotes that you like, to-do lists. Have a small picture frame maybe? How about a pen stand somebody close to you gave you as a gift? You can organize everything your own way, so you feel a sense of control over your space and a sense of being settled.
That's most probably because your comfort zone is quite wide. Try lessening the comfort zone area by stepping out of it one step at a time.
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2016 6:30pm
I understand how you feel because I am the same way! I cannot focus on what is important if I am not comfortable in my work space. I suggest gathering some items such as music, pictures,etc. that make you feel comfy and add them to your temporary work space! Things should become much brighter :)
cheerfulMonkey67
November 1st, 2016 1:44am
Try having things around you that make it perfect to you. Perhaps personal knickknacks will allow you to feel more settled in these locations!
YourFriendforever
In temporary spaces you can try making it feel like what you consider perfect. You can make minute changes to make sure that the temporary place is where you can concentrate. since many a times we need to work out of our comfort zones and that's when we need to realize that we need to make ourselves comfortable and get used to our surroundings.