Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #41: Are there any underlying beliefs or fears that fuel your anxiety?

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver October 29th, 2024

Hello all and welcome back to another discussion, 

A couple of weeks ago, we discussed what kind of behaviors anxiety has caused you to engage in. Thank you to all who participated and shared your thoughts with us. I appreciate you all. I hope all who may read it find it relatable, too. If anyone hasn't shared them yet, please share them here, and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you. 


This week's prompt:  Are there any underlying beliefs or fears that fuel your anxiety?

There are often underlying beliefs and fears that fuel anxiety and these can be categorized into a few key areas like core beliefs, fears, negative thinking patterns, etc. Let's start to discuss and share these behaviors and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Did you join us in the Anxiety Support Chat? It is available every Wednesday for the entire day.


its-ok-to-be-scared-omniman.gif

125
User Profile: Anonymous9977
Anonymous9977 February 6th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

Yeah, that AI will take over humanity!

1 reply
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP February 16th, 2025

@Anonymous9977 I understand your concern, anonymous.  It is natural to feel a little uneasy about it but please know AI is a tool. It is up to us how we choose to use it.  

load more
User Profile: Anonymous9977
Anonymous9977 February 6th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

Yeah

User Profile: TamRowlett00
TamRowlett00 February 8th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

My anxiety is definitely fueled on a few different levels. 

One is surely in general negative thinking of myself, and then fearing others perceive me the same way as I do.. 

Second one probably would be repeated scenario, something like :

'I've already lost many friends, If i get attached againg I might get hurt again..'

And then rollercoaster starts in my brain as if everyone will leave me at some point.


Anxiety is my biggest ally and enemy, (no matter how awful it can be from time to time) it helps me to see how much I care about certain things and topics, if my anxiety is low to non-existent, that means something lost impotance to me. So it can be handy, but mostly not

1 reply
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP February 16th, 2025

@TamRowlett00 It sounds tough to be dealing with anxiety on so many levels, Tam. I understand how you feel that way, and it takes real courage to acknowledge those feelings.  Please know you deserve kindness and understanding, especially from yourself.

load more
User Profile: WorkingitThrough2
WorkingitThrough2 February 18th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

My anxiety is fueled my negative feelings and thoughts

4 replies
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP February 18th, 2025

@WorkingitThrough2 I hear you  and can understand, Working. Anxiety can make it so hard when negative thoughts feel overwhelming.  Please know you are not alone and it is okay to feel this way.  Your experiences and emotions are valid. We are all thinking of you and here to listen to and support you.

3 replies
User Profile: WorkingitThrough2
WorkingitThrough2 February 18th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

I really, really appreciate your support. Things are pretty rough right now and not looking like it will change any time soon.

2 replies
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP February 20th, 2025

@WorkingitThrough2 I hear that you are going through a truly difficult time, and it takes real strength to acknowledge that. We are here for you, and even though things are rough right now, we will get through this together, one step at a time. 

1 reply
User Profile: WorkingitThrough2
WorkingitThrough2 March 3rd, 2025

@ASilentObserver

You are very wise, and I like your responses to everyone. You allow us to be who we really are with no judgements. Thank you

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Saly9italy
Saly9italy February 18th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

I am worried about the speed and development of artificial intelligence and I am trying to keep up with the development of time, but I have not found a job despite my many skills

2 replies
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP February 20th, 2025

@Saly9italy I get it how you feel worried about the rapid changes in AI and the job market.  Many people are experiencing similar anxieties.  Please continue to keep learning and adapting, and your skills are valuable, even if it feels challenging to find the right fit right now.  We are all thinking of you and here to support you

1 reply
User Profile: Saly9italy
Saly9italy February 20th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

Thank you so much 🌷🙏

load more
load more
User Profile: AReine
AReine February 28th, 2025

@ASilentObserver I see that there are so many underlying beliefs that causes anxiety.

Especially traditional because most of the people don't want to break traditions even if they want to do something special so this brings a lot of stress and anxiety to simply think that you want to be different from the traditional case

1 reply
User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver OP March 2nd, 2025

@jovialMoon2495 thank you moon for sharing insightful observation. for sure it takes courage to acknowledge those deep-seated beliefs and how it creates stress and anxiety. Please know it is okay to explore what feels right for you, even if it seems different.

load more
User Profile: dynamicSailboat5643
dynamicSailboat5643 March 4th, 2025

This is gonna sound dumb but I really truly believed in soul mates my entire life. I really thought it was true but as I've gotten older that belief has crumbled very significantly with how people tend to treat each other these days. I see so many instances of cheating, abuse, and most people around my age have begone referring to relationships like transactional things. My experience with my family's relationships have also definitely warped my perception of things. My feelings about relationships have definitely been warped because of it so I'm at this point now where I truly don't want to get into a relationship because I don't want anything less than what I had envisioned it all to be. Now I'm too nervous and scared of other people and what they could do to ruin my life to ever engage in a romantic partnership. I have this deep seated mistrust and I don't think that will ever go away.

User Profile: SherifRiad
SherifRiad March 5th, 2025

@ASilentObserver This is such an insightful initiative, and I really appreciate the way you’ve created a space for open discussion.

For me, I’ve realized that a lot of my anxiety comes from a deep fear of failure and disappointing others. It’s this constant pressure of "What if I mess up?" or "What if I let people down?" that fuels a cycle of overthinking and self-doubt. Sometimes, it feels like my worth is tied to my achievements, which makes even small mistakes feel overwhelming.

Recognizing this has helped me take small steps toward challenging these beliefs, like reminding myself that mistakes are human and that people care about me for who I am, not just what I do. It's a work in progress, but knowing that others experience similar struggles makes it feel a little less lonely.

I’d love to hear from others, what underlying beliefs do you think contribute to your anxiety? And have you found any helpful ways to reframe them?

User Profile: CocoaTempleton
CocoaTempleton March 6th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

i struggle a lot with social anxiety. Being in large crowded areas makes me feel like I’m being watched. It’s hard to enjoy the moment and be yourself when you feel everyone is looking at you. 

User Profile: incredibleGrace3758
incredibleGrace3758 March 17th, 2025

@ASilentObserver

For me the underlying fears revolve mainly around inadequacy. I feel anxiety the most when Im aware I'm not in peak condition and bound to make mistakes. If I'm not feeling perfect or the situation isn't perfectly suited for me then I know I'm about to regret the next 5 or so hours of whatever I'm doing. This might have to do with what was previously said in another reply about fearing the worst of the Future. Something will always go wrong and it's not always going to be in your control regardless of your condition. Acceptance of this flow of things has helped me redefine what perfect is to me and help reduce my anxiety.