Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Challenging Thoughts Activity!

August 11th, 2022


Let's challenge our critical thoughts to give them a positive direction! Here is the activity:


Say a statement and reply to it too!


The statement could be any criticism of anything about your life or about 7cups and should be such that you could also offer a counter-argument to it.


Let me show you how to do it!!


Statement: I faltered again. I am a failure.

Reply: I did falter again, but I had made progress too! If I keep trying, I will falter less and less.


Simple?


Here is a 7cups-related example:

Statement: Listening does not solve any problem, so there is no use of connecting with a listener at 7cups.

Reply: True that we aren't allowed to give advice as listeners but just being there for a member is very powerful in itself! It helps to feel heard by someone in a compassionate and empathetic way.



Got it?


Now you do it! Make a critical statement and reply to it too!


Make sure to keep the inner monologue healthy and constructive!


58
User Profile: considerateMoon9060
considerateMoon9060 August 11th, 2022

No, it's not simple at all

1 reply
User Profile: Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Sunisshiningandsoareyou August 11th, 2022

Let's try with this one then! 😊

"It doesnt seem simple, but if I ask around for assistance or guidance, someone can definitely explain it better to me, as I'm willing to try and trying alone counts too!"

load more
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 August 11th, 2022

@Fristo

I will give it a shot

Statement: I am confused about what i want and making myself miserable

Reply: growth is painful and often confusing


7cups

Statement : Sometimes i feel like no one is even listening to me / no response or off the mark responses to posts etc

Reply: sometimes people simply cannot relate or not sure how to be supportive and even if response is not what you expected it MIGHT be what you need to hear.

1 reply
August 11th, 2022

@toughTiger6481 nicely done!

1 reply
User Profile: LAY4357
LAY4357 August 13th, 2022

@Fristo

Statement : I deserve all the pain that I I am going through.


Reply : Noone deserves the amount of torture I've experienced, and I deserve better like everyone else.

load more
User Profile: CatzInTheCradle
CatzInTheCradle September 15th, 2022

@toughTiger6481

I follow the threads in the Relationship forums and notice you often have great supportive responses. I’m sure people appreciate your insights and support in their time of need! Oftentimes, simply hearing many different perspectives opens us up to different ways of thinking about issues which might not have occurred to us. Also, I have seen many original posters responding to each individual response, so I am certain that it does make a difference to some people to simply know someone is there in their time of need.

Thank you for your contributions, from someone who has noticed your efforts!

CatsInTheCradle

load more
User Profile: Torean
Torean August 11th, 2022

@Fristo

Statement: I feel like I'm getting into the right place to start writing something, but I don't know what.

Reply: When I get stuck, I should try reading more within the same genre. It can be surprisingly helpful.

1 reply
User Profile: Hirsch
Hirsch August 12th, 2022

Great solution! And it's one that can be done over and over and still produce new insights and ideas. 📖

load more
User Profile: Luna268
Luna268 August 11th, 2022

@Fristo

Statement: I am afraid to make and admit my mistakes.

Response: everyday, take one item at a time. One instance at a time keep doing the right thing. Admit and learn from your mistakes.

User Profile: kindFern3539
kindFern3539 August 11th, 2022

@Fristo

Statement : Sometimes i feel like i m a bad listener.

Reply: my emotions are not me i m more than i just joined yesterday i m trying my best n trying to improve that's what matters and learning never stop!

1 reply
User Profile: Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Sunisshiningandsoareyou August 11th, 2022

@kindFern3539

Hello kind, welcome to the listener community. I'm glad you're able to make a shift in the thought process, and are able to acknowledge that it is indeed a learning curve around here, what matters is that we are here with the kind intention of supporting others and are trying our best at it.

Now the fun part? We are not alone in this, and can always reach out to a listener coach or mentor for any help or guidance anytime.

Having said that, being new here can be quite overwhelming, a few not-so-good chats won't make you a bad listener (I'm happy you're able to recognize this part as well). Please take your time to explore, learn, impart. You're doing great, one chat at a time! ❤

load more
User Profile: Kintyre
Kintyre August 11th, 2022

@Fristo

Statement: I had a negative afternoon and let my anxiety take over. I failed and will stay in this cycle.

Response: I did let my anxiety rule for a few hours but that doesn’t mean it won. Tomorrow is another day and I will try again.

User Profile: sweetrosa1987
sweetrosa1987 August 11th, 2022

@Fristo

Statement: "I'm obese and I'll never lose weight and be healthy." 😢😢😢

Positive statement: "Even though I'm not at my ideal weight, I'm so happy for the process I endured so far." 😊😊😊❤️❤️❤️

User Profile: goldenHouse7136
goldenHouse7136 August 11th, 2022

I have made many mistakes.

1 reply
User Profile: goldenHouse7136
goldenHouse7136 August 11th, 2022

Doesn't mean I'm a failure there is room for improvement I will work self improvement to be better life choices an responsibilitys an my relationship

load more
User Profile: NewYorker11
NewYorker11 August 11th, 2022

@Fristo

Statement: i hate my personality and i feel like i don't fit in in life and this world.

Reply: maybe i can try to be the best i can be and stop being so self-critical. then i might be happier!


Statement: i don't think that being a listener is worth my time or the members' times

Reply: if i spend time listening to others and they find my listening useful, then i have helped someone and i have made a positive impact, which is a great thing to happen in this world!

User Profile: eowsian
eowsian August 11th, 2022

I won't ask for help even when I know I need it

1 reply
User Profile: SereneTea0713
SereneTea0713 August 12th, 2022

@eowsian Great statement, but you forgot the reply. I'll help you out, even though you didn't ask for it ;)


Reply: It is hard for me to ask for help, but recognizing & acknowledging that is the first step towards working on gaining that skill

load more