Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My Cup of Tea: Your 1 minute video on how 7 Cups has helped you

User Profile: GlenM
GlenM November 6th, 2015

@michaelmichael is leading a new series of listener support videos. It reminds me of a project that @rin put together quite a while ago titled My Cup of Tea. The idea was to ask people to make 1 minute videos about how 7 cups has helped them. You can think of these as videos that capture your 7 cups story or maybe a testimony of how 7 Cups helped you overcome some challenges you faced.

I, too, regularly use 7 cups to overcome challenges. I'm always a guest. It has helped me out tremendously. There have been many challenging nights for me where the kind and caring words of listeners have given me hope and new perspective. I was going to create a video as a sort of model to kick this off, but I realized that that might be a bad idea. Instead, I think it'd be good to have a community discussion about how we should structure these.

Here are some initial thoughts:

1. Only share what you are comfortable sharing. These would be uploaded on YouTube. Details are less important. The overall theme is much more important.

2. You can have the video be of you talking if you are comfortable; however, there is zero pressure from us that it be of you talking. You can also just make it a nature scene or some other image if you like in order to protect your identity.

3. These should be no longer than a minute.

4. A helpful framework might be:

Part I - intro to who you are - like 3-4 sentences so the person viewing gets an idea of who you are. Mine might be - I'm Glen, the founder of 7 cups, married with 4 kids, psychologist and tech entrepreneur.

Part II - Brief Description of the Challenge or Issue - again just like 10-15 seconds about the nature of the issue. In my instance it'd be something that would include points like this:
-Startups are brutally hard because there are a lot of moving parts. There are also a ton of unknowns because most of the time you are doing something that has never been done before. People who worry tend to better, because there is an awful lot to worry about as you try to navigate new waters. Doubt, uncertainty, and fear are par for the course. There were many nights when we had a particularly stubborn issue, or where I felt a lot of pressure from others or myself, where I felt overwhelmed. I couldn't really get perspective on my own

Part III - How 7 Cups Helped - 15-20 seconds about how 7 cups helped you. I'd focus here on what exactly happened - was it a listener, multiple listeners, was it the exercises, was it group support, all of the above? For me, it'd be like this:
-When I was feeling overwhelmed like this, I'd simply click on "connect to a listener now" and chat with a listener. I'd share how I feel like I have this impossibly complex puzzle to solve and how I feel like I'm running out of time. I'd share how I felt this constant huge pressure that would never leave me. Sometimes I'd cry. The listeners simply cared for me, they encouraged me, they listened to me. They helped me find new hope. I'd start the conversation at a 3 on a scale of 1-10 and end it 15 minutes later at an 8. I did this many many times over the course of the last couple of years. Now, I practice mindfulness with our mindfulness group and still chat with listeners and do exercises to keep myself moving forward.

Part IV - Thank you - 10 seconds where you just thank 7 Cups for helping you out. Again you should only do these videos if you feel like 7 cups has genuinely helped you and you are actually really thankful. For me, I'd say something like:
-I want to close with just saying a very big thank you to 7 cups. You were there for me on numerous nights. You had my back. You cared for me. Picked me up and dusted me off. Gave me courage to keep moving ahead. Thank you! I can say for certainty that I wouldn't be where I am without your support.

Let's discuss how to do this here and then also post videos here. Share any tips or recommendations. e.g., it might be helpful to write out a script first and it'll probably take a few times to get it right. Please add other thoughts, concerns etc. Thanks!

77
User Profile: kdog334
kdog334 November 7th, 2015

Hey @GlenM

I would love to do a video like this. I was wondering if I could read my post in a video. It is not about overcoming a issue in my life through 7 cups but it is about how 7 cups has helped me.

https://goo.gl/XaqnYW

That is the link to the post, would love your feedback on if I could still make a video :)

1 reply
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP November 9th, 2015

@kdog334 Great post! Yes, that'll work :)

load more
User Profile: cristiana33
cristiana33 November 7th, 2015

Hey all.

Because I lose so much this idea I took this challenging step and made this video ... is more like a test video so would love some feedback. :)

@GlenM

6 replies
November 8th, 2015

so we upload videos to YouTube and then give a link?

1 reply
User Profile: cristiana33
cristiana33 November 8th, 2015

@elizathefriendly17

That's what I understood.

The link I gave is from an account that isn't in any way linked to my identity. So I believe that makes it okay. Mmmm maybe someone else can verify that. :)

load more
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP November 9th, 2015

@cristiana33 Great work! Nice graphics :). Very cool music. Thank you!

1 reply
User Profile: cristiana33
cristiana33 November 9th, 2015

@GlenM

Thank you. Glad you liked it.

Is this how you want these videos to be? Or something else? :)

load more
User Profile: TeaWithAFriend
TeaWithAFriend November 11th, 2015

@cristiana33 I liked it but some of the text went by to fast for me to read.

User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 December 22nd, 2015

@cristiana33 Hi there :) I just found this part of the forum today (Dec 21). I love this idea! Thanks for your post and video :) - K -

load more

@cristiana33 i think that your correct i think as lon gas it doenst give off any personal contact info or how to find you on other sites like facebook its ok to upload youtube videos but @laura @heather @iara @GlenM can correct me

CC @missZ @jaceofspades @michaelmichael @krinkthemellowunicorn

2 replies

@cristiana33

User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn November 9th, 2015

@BANANAMINIONBLAHHHHHHILOVEYOUYOULOVEMEOATMEAL

I actually don't know the policy details for this kind of thing but ideally @laura or someone else can clarify.

load more
User Profile: SilentSerenityy
SilentSerenityy November 9th, 2015

Is there a time limit to do this because I think I'll make one some day for you guys? :)

3 replies
User Profile: GlenM
GlenM OP November 9th, 2015

@SilentSerenityy we are hoping to have them done before 11/26.

2 replies
User Profile: SilentSerenityy
SilentSerenityy November 9th, 2015

@GlenM

Are you going to compile them into one video or share them somewhere?

User Profile: SilentSerenityy
SilentSerenityy November 9th, 2015

@GlenM

I hope I can do it by then, but if not, I'll still make it for you guys. :)

load more
load more
User Profile: tasnimfarah
tasnimfarah November 10th, 2015

what do we name the video?

1 reply
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 12th, 2015

@tasnimfarah, whatever you want, lovely ^^ I choose "My Cup of Tea", but you can be more specific, if you want, e.g. "My experience with 7 Cups"

Best wishes!

load more
User Profile: MVReverie
MVReverie November 11th, 2015

I've got a question. So how would we actually be posting the video? Like, would we upload it on youtube or something, or what?

1 reply
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 12th, 2015

@MVReverie, yes, upload it to Youtube and post the link in this feed.

Best wishes!

load more
User Profile: blueHickory43
blueHickory43 November 11th, 2015

I will join :) I think this is an interesting challenge.

User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 11th, 2015

Uhm, okay, I made one myself. It's a first video I've ever created, so don't expect anything glamorous. I only used my laptop camera, free editors and a file folder ^^;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7j2juYxyfc

It was fun to make, to be honest. Today I found myself completely alone in my dorm room and, instead of lying on my bed motionless, I decided to take up the challenge and do something new. I'm glad I've created something and gave my day a purpose.

Love to receive feedback from you!

11 replies
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 11th, 2015

... aaand I forgot to make a hyperlink -.-

If anyone has a power to edit and be so kind to fix my post, I'd greatly appreciate it ^^

2 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn November 11th, 2015

@Celaeno

made some hyperlinks!

your video is very lovely :)

1 reply
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 11th, 2015

Thanks, @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn, you are helpful and kind as always!

load more
load more
User Profile: TeaWithAFriend
TeaWithAFriend November 11th, 2015

@Celaeno Loved it!

1 reply
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 11th, 2015

@TeaWithAFriend, aww, thank you so much!

load more
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn November 11th, 2015

@Celaeno

very cool

User Profile: ZaraSmiles
ZaraSmiles November 11th, 2015

@Celaeno beautiful, stunning, wonderful, breath-taking and pretty much every positive word you could think of. I'm proud to be in the same community as you ❤

1 reply
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 12th, 2015

@ZaraSmiles, thank you, love, I don't think I deserve this shower of affection, but I will take it ^^ You're the best!

load more
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 December 22nd, 2015

@Celaeno Hey :) I just saw this post and your video. Great job! I have been encouraged by 7cupsoftea as well and I like to hear, read, watch others' stories. Thanks for sharing yours! - K -

2 replies
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno December 22nd, 2015

@cyanPlatypus6370, thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you find it encouraging. I'd love to see your video, lovely, if you don't mind share your story with us.

Sending you my best wishes!

1 reply
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 December 23rd, 2015

@Celaeno ... Haha, well thank you for that. I have not much idea at all of how to create a video with my equipment. But that's okay.

Is there a good place for posting these types of things in written form? @GlenM or any of you ... - K -

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: independentbuddafly
independentbuddafly November 12th, 2015

I had a positive experience. How do I submit my video

1 reply
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 12th, 2015

@independentbuddafly, upload it to Youtube. I'd love to see your video ^^

load more
User Profile: TeaWithAFriend
TeaWithAFriend November 12th, 2015

It's 2 minutes. I hope it's not too long. Let me know and I and maybe I can shorten it to 1 minute. Also, does the text go by too fast to read?

https://youtu.be/FMYe551WBgA

1 reply
User Profile: Celaeno
Celaeno November 12th, 2015

@TeaWithAFriend, the video is fantastic! I know that the limit is 1 minute, and regretfully you need to cut it a bit, but let me just say that even now it is a wonderful piece of work. I love that you included quotes from the listeners and the positive way you portrait your struggles. And text is just in a perfect speed - for me at least.

Lots of love!

load more