Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What inspires you to volunteer on 7 Cups?

User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 January 13th, 2023

Our community is unique, and what brings us together is very powerful: human compassion, support, and healing. Our beloved volunteers are pivotal to the nurturing of our ecosystem and our culture. Your work matters; the difference you make every day can save a life (and probably already has!).

I like to ask these questions every now and then to revisit our purpose, and to recognize you all who invest so much of yourselves. It cannot be understated just how much we (myself and the 7 Cups team) appreciate and value your contributions. That said, please tell me:

⭐ What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?

⭐ What role(s) do you have or had, and what do you like most about them?

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

Please answer the questions that are relevant to you, or feel free to answer them all! I look forward to reading and seeing everyone's uplifting replies to each other!

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your dedication to our community. You make this world a better place.

24
User Profile: YourCaringConfidant
YourCaringConfidant January 13th, 2023

@Heather225

⭐ What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?

I enjoy getting to meet new people everyday. There are so many kind and helpful people on the platform and I just love all the love and kindness that is spread all through the 7cups platform. I enjoy being a listener and being there for people. I'm helping them but helping myself at the same time.

⭐ What role(s) do you have or had, and what do you like most about them?

I am a proud forum supporter (P&G) and a smile spreader. I am soooo proud and love my roles so much. They are very rewarding! ♡

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

From being a volunteer, I have learned to be more patient. I have learned to not be judgmental and to let the members get off what they want. There is power in words so I am learning daily to always watch what I say.

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

I would say "be like Nike, and just do it!" You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Volunteering time to being a listener or holding down leadership roles is so fulfilling. Plus you get to sleep well knowing what you are doing is making a difference!

2 replies
User Profile: Erica
Erica January 14th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant "There is power in words" is such a powerful lesson and one that 7 Cups reminds us of a lot! Thank you for volunteering on here and leaving an impact ❤️

1 reply
User Profile: YourCaringConfidant
YourCaringConfidant January 14th, 2023

@Erica You are too sweet! Awww, thank you. Back at cha! ♡

load more
load more
User Profile: innateJoy9602
innateJoy9602 January 13th, 2023

@Heather225

⭐ What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?

Two main things that motivate me are members and the community itself. Having a good chat with a member and feeling them hit a breakthrough always feel so rewarding. Because, there is no better feeling than knowing they walked away feeling better from a chat.

I also find motivation through the community. This community is truly the most supportive and genuine community I’ve ever been a part of. It’s filled with like-minded souls who are always there to pick you up if you need a helping hand.

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

I’ve learned many things since I’ve first started. Two I’d like to highlight is the importance of boundaries. I’ve learned boundaries are essential in every kind of relationship and you shouldn’t feel guilty about having them. Secondly, I’ve learned the importance of feedback. While feedback can feel a bit discouraging at first, it is meant to help you grow and become a better Listener. Without it, you can’t learn and grow.

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

When you volunteer at 7cups you’re greeted with open arms. If you ever have any questions, people are happy to help and make you feel at home. Taking on the role of a Listener can be a bit intimidating at first, but you quickly feel a sense of accomplishment and motivation to help more members. 💜

1 reply
User Profile: Erica
Erica January 14th, 2023

@innateJoy9602 The lesson of boundaries is soooo true and so important! I never realized what boundary setting meant until I started to use 7 Cups more frequently!


load more
User Profile: calmMango9611
calmMango9611 January 14th, 2023

@Heather225 Go for it, and give it a try.

The members and I love to help others.

I started out as a listener here at 7cups, back in 2019. Dec 1, 2019 to be exact.

I became a leader in 2020, soon after I was approved by the listener community, as a quality listener.

My first roll was Peer Support.

My next role, Room Supporter.

The role after that, was Mod.

The next role after Mod, was Support Team Leader and room support mentor.

The role after Support Team Leader and room support mentor, was Forum Supporter.

The role after Forum Supporter, was Project Agent.

After that role, I was on the Needs Reply Team, for a bit.

Then in Sept of 2022, I retired as a listener and leader.

I moved on to the Member side of leadership, in Oct of 2022, I became a room supporter again.

I have been a Member here at 7cups, since Jan 31, 2020.

I really love being at 7cups.

I love my fellow leaders very much, and they have been really supportive of me.

I love room support very much.

I love the chatrooms.

I would recommend it to anyone, who has not had a chance to go to the chatrooms, please go, and check them out, here is the link: 7cups.com/connect/Chatrooms.php




2 replies
User Profile: Erica
Erica January 14th, 2023

@calmMango9611

Wow, thank you for the countless years of dedication here! You gave back so much and although I am sad you are no longer a listener, you seem to give back as a member too which is incredible! I wish you so much success and support on your new journey!

I also agree that the chatrooms are the best!

1 reply
User Profile: calmMango9611
calmMango9611 January 14th, 2023

@Erica Thank you for your kind works.

They mean a lot to me.

load more
load more
User Profile: calmMango9611
calmMango9611 January 14th, 2023

@Heather225 I learned how to help others and what team work means, and how important it is.

We are a team, there is no I, but we.

It makes being in leadership so much easier, when you work as a team, and not as one.

Also, as one wise Group Support Manager, told me "Take it slow. No rush. We have your Back. We are a team and we are here for you."


User Profile: Erica
Erica January 14th, 2023

@Heather225

⭐ What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?

I enjoy making connections with the people I meet on here and being able to give back to a site that gave me so much during hard times in my life! What motivates me the most is that even if I leave Cups, the impact I left on those I met will forever be remembered.

⭐ What role(s) do you have or had, and what do you like most about them?

Currently I am a Peer Supporter, Room Supporter, Chat Supporter, Quality Mentor, Teen Transitioning Mentor and Chatroom Mentor. I have also had the pleasure of being an Intern Teen Star and Support Team leader a few years back! What I like most about these roles is that it gives me the opportunity to help fellow listeners learn and grow, which then gives back to our member community. I love how full circle a lot of things are on here!

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

I have learned a lot about empathy and the true act of listening but I also have learned many life lessons. The most notable lessons are the true meaning of friendship (7 Cups friendships/connections are unmatched) and that change will happen despite you wanting it to, but little by little, you will be able to adjust and adapt to the change, even the hardest change!

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

I would say to go for it as the experience will be worthwhile but never forget your own personal values and that it is okay to say no to something that doesn't interest you!

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 January 14th, 2023

@Heather225

⭐ What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?

- Getting to learn about different kinds of perspectives that everyone carries and capturing the "human experience" which is experiencing all the personalities and uniqueness that everyone on this website brings to the table!

⭐ What role(s) do you have or had, and what do you like most about them?

- Listener, intern, teen listener. I love my listener role the most as I love my 1 on 1 conversations! Also interning here in the beginning really jump started my experience here in 7cups.

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

- Learning to be empathetic, different perspectives to life than I ever had heard before in my lifetime, timeliness in conversations, vocabulary!, confidence :)

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

- I originally joined 7 cups thinking that I would make a difference and help the people in this community but now I realize how much it made me change and has helped me! Volunteering may on paper be something you give at the cost to yourself, but I've gained so much here in 7 cups than I ever expected. Hoping the same occurs for you too!

User Profile: yourbuddy30
yourbuddy30 January 14th, 2023

@Heather225 What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?

I like to just listen to people, be there for them. Letting their heart out can make them feel a lot better than we think. There are so many members who haven't shared their difficult times with anyone but they do it with us, that trust is what motivates me to be here


⭐ What role(s) do you have or had, and what do you like most about them?

I really like the Academy mentor role I presently have as I enjoy the Academy. Helping out trainees, clarifying their doubts, mentoring them is something I enjoy doing

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

I have learnt how to be non judgmental towards people and their experiences. I learnt how to take feedback in a positive way and learn from it. It is also teaching me professionalism

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

There is a lot to learn here at cups, improve and become a better person. You get to interact with a lot of people and this platform has been very useful. Definitely worth giving it a try

User Profile: NewYorker11
NewYorker11 January 14th, 2023

@Heather225

⭐ What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?

what i enjoy about volunteering on 7 Cups is the fact that i get to interact with people all over this world and try to relate to them as best i can, it is very fulfilling and gives me a great new purpose every single day! what motivates me is to be the best i can be for myself and others.

⭐ What role(s) do you have or had, and what do you like most about them?

as a volunteer, i have the role of listener, and i have also had the opportunity of being much more, thanks to the great and supportive staff of 7 Cups! due to time constraints, i only do listening, and what i like most about being a listener is that it helps me to help others understand themselves and their emotions.

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

active listening, being part of an online community dedicated to mental wellness and hygiene

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

for anyone who is interested in volunteering on 7 Cups, i would say to them "if you like helping people and listening to people, 7 Cups is a great place for both!"

User Profile: SilentSerenityy
SilentSerenityy January 14th, 2023

@Heather225

⭐ What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?

Having the chance to help someone and make a difference.

⭐ What role(s) do you have or had, and what do you like most about them?

I'm a quality mentor and on the evaluations teams. I like this because I care about listener quality. I hate the thought of people coming here for help and being matched with someone who could be harmful or doesn't follow listener principles. I'm also on safety patrol to protect users from anything inappropriate.

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

The act of active listening, mostly. I feel that's something that takes time to build on with lots of practice and experience.

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

Try it out! You regret the things you don't try and I think you'll find it to be a mostly positive experience.

User Profile: friendlysage
friendlysage January 16th, 2023

@Heather225 What do you enjoy about volunteering at 7 Cups? What motivates you?


⭐ What role(s) do you have or had, and what do you like most about them?

I am a listener and what I like most about listening is I get to also learn more about myself and it has helped me cope with my own problems.

⭐ What skills/lessons/etc have you learned from your volunteer experience here?

Active listening

⭐ What would you say to someone who is interested in volunteering here?

It is quite fulfilling talking to people and helping them get through what is eating them