How do I deal with my family not supporting my choices?

New Zealand

Maree Stachel-Williamson, Diploma in Counselling, B.A., Master Practitioner in NLP

My areas of expertise are anxiety, depression & relationships. I am caring & give practical advice. I support you in finding clarity & helping you move forward.

Brittneym101
If you are an adult you have to do what you feel is best for you and what makes you happy not what your family or anyone else wants to see. I'm sure that they love you, but it's not up to them anymore it's time for you to spread your wings and fly. If you are a child depending on the choice it may be best to do what your parents think is best since you are still a kid and underage.
Anonymous
I will just try to explain them the reason for my choices, and I will also try to understand their point of view. Cause they are my family and they love me so if they don't support my choice there must be a proper reason for it..
Family is many people all under 1 roof with different heads and thinking. Everybody will have their own opinion. Most important always remember that the person that is gonna leave with the choices you made is you and no one else.
Anonymous
I usually just keep on going despite I don't have there support I follow my dreams because to me that's what matters most
Anonymous
There will always be disagreements when it comes to life styles. The best you can do is educate them on why you've chosen this path, find a compromise or agree to disagree.
Anonymous
Thats a really hard thing to deal with, i think you should find friends who do support you and hang out with them to make you feel better
Anonymous
Ii will feel a little bit upset but i will take some private tome to think about it once again because my family just wanted the best for me so i have to convinced them.
Anonymous
I still do whatever I have decided because in the end, no matter the effect will be, its still my life. And I have the ultimate control over it. Not my family
Anonymous
Just show that you respect their opinion, but own the right to make choices for yourself. It's your life and you don't owe it to anyone - own your right to choose :)