How do I deal with a religious family as an atheist?

Italy

anna pavia, psicologa psychologist counselor

I feel my work as my personal mission and I love it. My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive. I am a very good listener. I use several approaches. Amo il mio lavoro.

richSound74
Well,if your family is not understanding better to hide that and pretend you are still religious.Focus on having a good future now and be independent so one day you can live the life you want to live.
Ananiya
Well i would respect their religious practices and wouldn't violate them. Even though I'm an atheist, I would support them in whatever they do in terms of religion. I wouldn't follow it from the inside but wouldn't ruin it for others from the outside.
madeleine26
Just try to understand that everyone has their own beliefs and as long as it makes them happy and isn't harming anyone else, they are fine! It's good to have an open dialogue about these things, though, because understanding each other helps so much more than you'd know.
Mindful71
An atheist can be a deeply spiritual individual who does not buy into simplistic supernatural myths but aims to attain a deeper view of himself/herself in this amazing universe as a fully conscious mind/soul. In this realization there is a search for an existential meaning of life . Spirituality is an ongoing search. An unfolding of discoveries. It is a dynamic spirituality and not a set of beliefs. A person attaining this kind of awareness, becomes sensitive to let others have their beliefs realizing that he/she has moved on beyond. An atheist is constantly searching for the paradigm that fits authentically with ones experience. In dealing with the family one should have compassion, ask intelligent questions and not put down their beliefs. He/she would also be aware that beliefs fulfil deep psychological needs that the believer is not fully aware of. The atheist should be the enlightened individual who can tolerate others having different belief systems. He/she would accept that each person's spirituality is their individual journey. That they too have inquiring minds
BigDogTherapy
I think one of the most important things is to be respectful of their right to believe what they believe (and hope that they respect your right to not believe). I find religion joins politics as the topics you don't want to spend time discussing if you know already you have divergent views. While avoidance seems perhaps too passive, realize in advance that each perspective is probably well-entrenched and won't change with the benefit of argument or debate. So take the high road, keep things smooth.
Elephant0407
Hi. I grew up in a very religious catholic family, I was sent into catholic education where I developed a taste for biology and evolution (ironic), and though I wouldn't identify as completely atheist, more agnostic, I definitely do not hold the belief system that the rest of my family sticks by. Originally, honestly, I was too nervous to even breach the subject with my family, and just continued to put up with listening to them jabber about things I neither believed in or agreed with, but I decided to be brave and openly discussed what I thought with my family and quickly realised, with the exception of my extremely religious grandmother, that nobody cared that's how I felt, some of them even showed some agreement with my side of things, and that was essentially that. In essence, I agree with the other response, talk to you family, they might be more accepting than you think. The most important way to act is to let them know that you respect that that's how they feel and that's what they believe, and in return you ask them to do the same for you. Everyone is entitled to their own belief system. Stick by what you believe, and remember that your religion and how you feel about it does not make you as a person.
Renaelb98
Try to stay away from conversations involving religion, have a safety word if the conversation makes you uncomfortable. Include places that are okay and not okay to talk about religion. I.e.: no religion at the dinner table/on vacation
Dibbe
I would try at all times to be as respectful to them as I possibly can. Of course, dealing with people with completely different opinions can be really challenging, especially when it's your own family. But keep in mind that you can only controle your own behaviour and thoughts, s keep them as honest and pure as possible.
amazingDreamer85
As respectfully as possible. Regardless what beliefs people hold, from philosophical views to cultural and religious views. Most people will have different opinions from yours. You need to learn how to hear someone out and respectfully disagree without arguing. Respect goes both ways
Anonymous
Am respect their views and beliefs as it their choice to be religious as it my choice to be an atheist
YellowButterScotch
Being in that situation can be tough. Try to keep your self respectful as people tend to not take ‘disrespectful people’ seriouly. Also understand that even if you follow your family’s religion for now it won’t invalidate your beliefs in the future.
Anonymous
Love each other as you are. Do not push your beliefs on them, even if they try to do it to you. Show them that no matter the religion, you can love each other and get along no matter your views.
katawosuu
Well, although experiences are highly different between individuals, I will say that I struggled with this for a while. I am agnostic living in a Catholic family. I found that even though we got off to a rocky start, compromise was a big part in avoiding things escalating into conflict. My parents acknowledged where I stood and accepted it so long as I'd attend church until I was out of the house.
SacredArtist
I think in both positions, whether as the family dealing with the atheist and vice versa, dare I say, there simply needs to be a certain respect of personal sovereignty. We all have the absolute right to follow what we deem is necessary to follow, in our hearts. Guilt, shame, worry, fear, these things are not, in my humble opinion, excuses or valid reasons to mangle someone else's mind with one's own belief of what they ought to be doing or believing. And I say "mangle" because most of the time, anyone who puts such qualifications over someone else is really only serving to confuse someone who is in the process of finding themselves, which I think is a very important milestone in someone'slife than not many complete or even begin... and, ultimately, we should ask ourselves what is it that anyone really needs or even wants? Love. Acceptance. That said, there's this great story, that although is, as you will see, specific to one side or another as far as point of view, it really goes for anyone who is thinking of trying to impose themselves onto someone else's life experience. It goes something like this: once there was a native on his land and a missionary visits him to spread his beliefs to the people. He is obviously doing so because he believes he must and finds that it is his duty. The missionary tells the native that what he and his people are up to is Satan work and that they'll all go to hell if they continue. The native, after a short ponder, asks... if you didn't tell us this word you speak of, would we still have gone to hell? The missionary replied that he supposes not, for they wouldn't have known any better. And the native tells the missionary "So, why did you come to tell us?" For me there is a lot that can be gleaned from this story. I will say that, personally, I believe there is a lot of value in self discovery and doing what you feel you should do as an autonamous Human being, an equal to all others. As an equal and as an individual, there is no real need to be the preacher or the preached to. All teaching one receives should be by choice and seeking and thus having a respect for those different than you and mind or any other way, should be looked upon with love. Feel no resentment towards them even if they have a resentment towards you. Their feelings ultimately should not change your own. You are autonomous. You are an individual. You are your own. In fact, to have broken away from any thought pattern is proof enough... now continue and continue with love. Smile when others cannot fathom your direction. Humor others only if you can or desire to. Hold your place lightly, see others lightly. Even if, while one is young, especially, and family requires that you be a part of something you wholly disagree with... you have many options to explore in that situation but if all you can see to do is participate, then go ahead. It cannot change you. No one can control your mind and nor can they truly control your action. Follow yourself happily into freedom, for only that, I think, can really take you to it. Happiness and acceptance will provide clarity. Be sure of yourself.
Anonymous
Dealing with a religious family as an atheist is difficult. From early on, make it clear to your parents that you respect their beliefs however explain how yours are different and make them aware that they should also respect your beliefs. Most importantly, don't let the difference of opinions cause any conflict between you and your family.
Benji2020
January 23rd, 2019 2:02am
It has been my experience that religion is a topic that most people prefer not to be pushed on. For some, we can take that a step further and say that they may become annoyed or even hostile when dealing with a differing opinion. I feel that when faced with these situations, it's best to remain calm and keep an open mind. It is important to remember that our families care for us. It may be that they try to push us toward their religion because they think it's what is best for us. Whenever we encounter someone who pushes extra hard, we have two choices. We can push back and meet force with force. This causes stress and strife for both sides. The other option is to keep our cool and show them with our actions and manners the type of people we want to be. Maybe, just maybe, they will see that we recognize their care and can respect their faith even though we don't share it. In this way we can begin to work toward a better relationship with our families as well as a better understanding of ourselves.
Anonymous
Just talk to them. It's the best thing you can do! If they still don't accept you for who you are then you can just make excuses to skip events.
You can't easily break a cultural and religious bringing up especially if they have been into it for many many years. The idea is to understand and respect as they have their own believe and culture and it might not be what you agree with, but still its their way to peace.
tinyCat07
Try to explain how different point of view everyone has. The same way they choose their lifestyle, is how you choose your lifestyle
Anonymous
I think the most important step is to be clear that you don't share their beliefs anymore, but despite that, you can still be a loving family member. Regardless of religion or lack thereof, family should still respect and support you. Letting the difference in thought divide you might only make it worse.
Ambrose001
Be yourself, religion is a choice and we have the right to choose what to believe and if you don't believe in that then you have that right too :)
Anonymous
It depends on how open minded they are about religion. If you think they can accept you for being atheist, you could try talk about it with them and see their reactions on it. If they react too badly I would suggest not tell them that you are atheist. I'm not saying that you should lie, but in some situations, like this one, lying is the only way you can prevent chaos and conflict. Just talk about it with them indirectly, for example, "hew dad/mom/sister/etc, what do you think about atheism?" And if they start being too strict on you merely because you mentioned this subject, it would imply that this is not something you can open up to them. Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll do the right thing. No onw knows your family like you do, therefore you're the one who has most knowledge on what to do here.
compassionateCat16
With respect. I come from a religious family and grew up that way however I do not hold those beliefs myself. The key is to not put down or question their stance but simply respect it and if prompted kindly without putting down the other explain yours. otherwise I generally avoid the topic of religion all together so as to avoid any conflict.
grumpymama
Respectfully. Just because you don't believe in a higher power doesn't mean that they won't be offended by you speaking out on your lack of belief. Honestly, my son is an atheist and I am a Roman Catholic. I'm probably a bad one because I don't harrass my son about it.
Anonymous
Just because they are religious doesn't mean you have to be. So its about acceptances from both sides and feeling connected
Flawlessinsanity21
You respect them. You respect their religion, but ask for their respect in return. I have always been in the exact same boat and have been told some terrible things by my family. But that is because it is apart of their religion and those are the things they believe like I'm going to hell. But I don't believe in hell as an atheist so I don't let that bother me at all. They can disagree with my religion and i can disagree with theirs but at the end of the day they are family and I respect what they believe, even if they don't fully respect or understand what I believe, they are at least thoughtful of my feelings. As your family should be of your feelings and your beliefs.
HopieRemi
This can be a tough situation to be in. You don't want to let them know you're an atheist unless there's no chance of being kicked out and homeless without any resources for yourself. You can try to talk to them if it is at all possible and try to get them to see that you're still you. It's very hard because people who are religious aren't always so understanding of atheists.
Anonymous
Well if they are open minded you can share your views. If they hard believers just lay low. Try to avoid with station which can cause conflicts.
LondynRose
You could let them know that you respect their beliefs and choices and you would appreciate if they will treat you with the same respect.
Askath
Try to respect the religion of your family but also make clear that it is not your way of living. And dont try to convince them to be atheists