What age is too young to leave home?

South Africa

Lisa De Regt, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
Age isn't an issue, but rather a person's ability to be able to sustain themselves emotionally, financially, and physically.
delicatePomegranate33
It is illegal to leave home without parental consent until you are eighteen years old, so I'm assuming you're too young to leave home until then.
bestDreamer46
If a person hasen't completed high school, or is under the age of 18, then I would consider that to be too young to leave home.
Saraf
I'd say 10-17 years olds are too young to leave home. That's the puberty period,a child grows up to be a teen, a teen grows up to be a young adult. It's an important bend in the road that we call life. A child's mind comes to form into a shape within this timespan. So many things occur at once, physical changes, psychological maturity... A good family can walk a kid thru this time, patiently. If that doesn't happen properly, if the kid doesn't have proper guidance and care, he/she is destined to divert from the path of destiny. It's tremendously important. One single mistake- and your child is scarred for life. And sometimes those scarred for life kids just can't take it anymore. The family stress, the drama... it all feels like a heavy burden on their shoulders. And as they are kids, not mature enough and no mature one to teach him enough- he thinks running away is the best answer. Running away from home, which is the root of it all. Escaping the situation because they are too young and naive and impatient to deal with it all.
ListeningLight
Everyone is different. Depending on where you live in the world, there may be different rules around this topic. If you have a minimum legal age to live on your own, take this as a guideline as there has been careful consideration put in to this age and there will be reasons why it is that way. Before leaving home, I would suggest a person is logical about whether it will work finance wise, whether they will have an income, whether they will still be able to enjoy their hobbies etc.
SparklingStarbuck
Age is no bar. Age is nothing other than a number. Leaving home is just an example. Anything can be done without thinking of the age. Our world is full of people who did not respect their ages and went on to do great things. The best example can be non other than the world's second richest man in the world, Mr. Warren Buffett. This man started investing at the age of 11. May be the youngest investor of the world. The field of computer science is the best example of age no bar, we can find many people doing stuff more than their age. For example, I just saw this website http://codesmash.tech/ which say the boy learned codes at the age of 11 and has made websites and helping the world to make their own. So these examples say that, if kids are capable of changing our world then changing or leaving home is not a big deal for them. But to be more specific they should leave home only after they are capable to take a stand for themselves. May the joy be with you :-) !!!
OneMomentInHerPresence
I don’t know how it is in your state, but usually you can’t leave home until you are eighteen. However, in some states (in mine at least), if you run away when you are seventeen and there is no evidence of foul play the police will not go looking for you.
Anonymous
In most countries, the legal age to leave home is 16 years old. At 16, at least in my country, you can leave home without the permission of your parents or caregivers. The only time you would be made to come home is when your life is in danger. As I previously said, 16 is basically when you can leave without a parents concent. Therefore, Anyone below the age of 16 would be too young and would require their parents or caregivers permission.
I would go with if you are 18 and above then you are an adult and should be capable to live by urself.
PascalDammed
If you are not able to lay out your plans -Exactly-, its a bad idea to move out. But if there are people ready to catch you, there is no limit, sometimes, home is the worst place to be.
EmmaDilemma515
It depends on the family life. If you have a hard life at home and can live somewhere else and escape that place no age is too young in my opinion.
Anonymous
12 or but any age if you are not finacially stable because how are they supposed to support themselves
Anonymous
First of all it depends on what kind of situation it is. If a child is going on a playdate/sleepover I would say around 6 or 7. But leaving the house with friends without a parent or guardian around i would say 13 or 14. at the least.
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2016 6:54am
What is the circumstance around the youth leaving home? Does the youth want to leave home, and if so, why? If the youth feels they are not in a healthy environment, they can have a safe conversation with a school counsellor, doctor, or local police officer if the situation is at all physical. In specific circumstances, youths can legally leave their parents custody but circumstances and age remain independent varies from location to location. Research your local laws on youth emancipation.
peacefulkat
The age that is too young to leave home would be around 14-16. Mainly because young teenagers are not ready for what the world has to offer.
brucesmith
Age isn't the criteria; its physical and emotional maturity. Of course spiritual and mental maturity are also important but you need the physical and emotional foundation for being responsible for yourself.
BubbleGumKissxoxo
Try to think about why you want to leave home. Think about the benefits and the problems with leaving home. In the UK law, if you have a reason or can show you can support yourself, 16 is the age you can legally leave home.
kyssiehearts01
December 23rd, 2017 5:18am
In my country,which is Malaysia,you complete your study at the age of 17.After 17,you may choose to continue your studies or start to find a job or marry and start a family.Therefore,in my opinion,16 is already too young to leave home.Keep in mind that you still have some quality time with your family and your family need you too.So,unless you are orphan,remember that there's still time to enjoy your time not paying your own bills.
Anonymous
I don’t think there is a too young age. It all depends on your own situation and maturity. Moving home is a big change, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad.
Anonymous
I think that is subjective, and it all depends on the person and the situation. Everyone can be ready for things at different ages, so what could be too young for one person would be the right age for another. There could also be a situation that would force someone to leave their home sooner than they might have hoped for.
TylersLife
I think if you can support yourself on your own and have a stable place to go and a stable way to live, it is your right to leave when you want to.
Anonymous
There really isn't a set age for that but usually by society standards you should be at least 16 to leave home and preferably 18 years old. But everyone has different circumstances and it all depends on those circumstances.
SilentSerenityy
I would say under 18 is too young. It's best to do so when you're legally an adult, then you can do what you want i.e. get a loan, mortgage, house etc.
Anonymous
An age that is too immature to take care of oneself. If someone is incapable of fending for themselves, they shouldn't leave home to live on their own.
Comrade8
I'm not sure of an age limit. I would recommend being over 18. But it is more than age, you have to analyse if you will be able to properly take care of yourself financially and emotionally. Before leaving home put the proper plans in place to be able to sustain yourself.
PaleRose12
I would say 16 is to young i would wait till you can drive and have a job that can support you when your alone remember you have to pay bills pay for food gas and cloths its not so easy
Anonymous
When you can't physically and financially support yourself on your own and when you can't kill a spider.
Anonymous
At any age you feel and know you can't be independent nor well be capable of getting through life and build yourself a good life without your parents' support
HopieRemi
There isn't really an age where you're ready to leave home. Whether you're ready to leave depends on you and how prepared you are to be out there in the real world.
UnicornFetus
That depends on where you live. You should look up laws regarding that. Also, consider your situation. Can you afford to leave home and live comfortably on your own?