What do I do if my father thinks I hate him even after I told him I don't?

April Zamzow, CSW, LPC

There are many times in our lives when we could use an ear to listen and help us through the things that we are struggling with. I can do that.

dreamJoy41
Actions speaks louder than words. Don't just tell him that you love him, show him that through your gestures.:)
OneMomentInHerPresence
Keep telling him that you don’t hate him and maybe show that you don’t by doing something for him.
Anonymous
Hey :) When words fail action speaks. Sweet little gestures to let him know that you care for him and love him will really help. For example, ask him if he needs some help with his work and show willingness to help him out and do it, offer him water/tea/coffee (might sound small but little things often occupy biggest part of our heart) , sit with him and spend quality time with him, be his friend. I'm sure your father will realize that you do love him :) Parents are grown up kids just like us. They need and deserve special attention, love and care. Everything will be okay :) Have a happy family time :)
CassCollins15
Try and spend some quality time with him, doing something you both enjoy. Act genuine so he knows you care. Make him feel valid and tell him that you love him. But try not to make it seem over exaggerated and like your faking it.
SilentHelper1
I agree with the earlier comment. Show him how you feel... It may be difficult because you feel some distance between you both, But ultimately you both want the same thing. To be loved and understood by each other.....
Anonymous
The best thing to do is sit your father down and ask him why does he think that you hate him and assure him that you don't hate him and maybe do things with him
MarkD
I agree with dreamJoy41 in principle, but I think "quality" needs to be seriously discussed on both sides. Why does your father think you hate him? Has he told you so, directly? Do you feel a disconnect you can't explain? Communication is key in *all* relationships. I suggest you think on your relationship with your father for a day or so, and pay special attention to the thought process you have that makes you want to cry. "I feel like I'm disappointing you." "I feel like you don't listen to me." "I feel like things have changed between us, and I'm confused about why." Finding the root cause of the feeling is usually the hard part. Once you've found it, the rest gets easy. You simply need to think about the best way to explain your feeling to him. Communicate it in a way that he would understand, without snuffing the feeling that makes you want to say it.
SilentSerenityy
There's not much you can do to change his mind. Some people can be very stubborn. All you can do is show your love for him and show him respect. Show it through your actions.
Anonymous
If your father believes you hate him but you don't, not only should you reassure him that you love him but show him that you love him. Show him by randomly spending time and bonding with him, do a random act of kindness for him to show your appreciation etc.
Flawlessinsanity21
Words and actions are two very different things that have very different meanings. You can't just tell him that you don't hate him and expect him to believe you. Your best chance at improving his thoughts on how you feel about him would be to show him. Do things that help him really see and believe that you don't hate him.
HopieRemi
You could try to figure out why your father thinks you hate him and see if it is possible to show him rather than tell him that you love him.
Anonymous
Try hanging out with him more and show love and support. Invite him to events and do fun activities.
ThaliaRaven
Maybe he blames himself for something he did for what you may hate him and he can't imagine you wouldn't.
HufflepuffQueen22
Actions speak louder than words. Find out why he thinks you hate him, and try to figure out how you can change that behavior.
ColoredPerspective
I think the saying actions speak louder than words truly applies here. Just try spending more time with him and go above and beyond with the little things.
Anonymous
Try to show him that you don't hate him, things you do may convince him more than words did. If that fails, try to confront him and have a conversation. He is your father, and it seems like something between you two happened, so he thinks you hate him. He wouldn't act badly, or say something wrong while you two talk, especially if it's something personal. So i believe that if you try to do something like this, he can realise that you don't hate him. Good luck :)
Anonymous
I would say actions speak louder than words and to show him that you would enjoy spending time with him and being around him.
JustJosphine
Try to show him that you love and communicate more and keep telling him you love him until he understands perhaps just asking why he feels like he does
Anonymous
Never told him you love him or hate him. Just show it. If he still think you hate him, then maybe you didn't care about him too much
charlieparlie
You should show him you love him, take him out to his favourite diner, buy him a present, take him to see his favourite sports team play live, something that shows you care
ListeningEar924
I went through the same situation with my father. I asked him to go to lunch with me one day just to sit down and talk, which ended up turning into an unplanned road trip for the weekend. I would call it a father/daughter weekend. It was fun and made it into a more common thing. Sometimes all that needs to happen is a good, long talk and some bonding time. :)
ItsAlyssa
Well then tell him reason why you dont hate him and show him eays you care for your Dad hopefully he undersands then
Anonymous
It sounds like there is some miscommunication between you and your father. Have you considered asking him why he thinks you hate him?
Anonymous
Spend more time with him. Do things with him that people would never do with someone they hate. Show him how much you care for him.
miraculousBeauty49
Try your best to show him instead. It sounds cliché but actions do speak louder than words sometimes.
LoverOfHappiness
This is where the saying 'Action speaks louder than words' come into play. Sometimes people need more than just the words to assure them. And even actions sometimes don't help, but be patient and keep showing the love.
NumberEleven
It could be that he interprets your actions as being a consequence of his actions, or maybe he's feeling guilty about something that he did?
Anonymous
Sit down and talk to him truthfully and respectfully. Explain your worries and feelings and try to negotiate.
AboveAndBelow
Maybe do something to show him just how much you care, and try to reinforce the fact that you don't hate him by doing little things as often as possible.
Anonymous
Help your dad understand how much you love him. Appreciate him more and thank him for all the things he does.