How do I talk to my parents when I don't agree with their decisions?

Andrea Tuck, LCPC

I tackle and discuss a multitude of social and emotional health issues. I have a belief that through empowerment and non-judgmental support clients' can thrive.

Weed
March 2nd, 2015 6:58pm
Well you have to be as polite as you can be for starters. Don't focus on that 'that they are wrong' but focus on 'you don't agree' that way you have more chances at success. Then you need a well prepared argument, picture your parents in mind, they are standing in front of you, you have shared that you don't agree with their decision, now picture their reaction and your response and continue doing so until you are sure you can win this thing. Then timing is important too, if you talk to them when they are already angry you will be simply an idiot. So select a time when you are alone with them and they are in somewhat good mood or you have done something they are happy with on that day. You can tell them that you want to learn to swim on your own although you appreciate them telling you fire hurts you want to experience it for yourself so you can grow and come to see things how you see [by you I meant your parents]
Neil22713
Make sure to listen to their side fully. Just the fact that you are interested in hearing them out will make them more likely to hear out your side as well.
Zinnia
You're not the only one with this current issue. But, I think it would be best if you all sat down together, and calmly told what your point of view is, and then let them know how you feel about their decision, and that you would like to make the decisions for yourself.
Anonymous
Try sitting down and just saying that while you aren't trying to be disrespectful you don't really agree with their decision and explain why. Try doing this as calmly as possible and with an open mind so you actually hear what they have to say as well.
heartfulSnow25
communication is probably the most essential thing in any relationship, have a sit down with your parents and discuss your views and opinions on why you don't agree with their decisions, you must remember though that parents always have your best interest at heart, and they will only do what they think is best for you
bloundo1995
Its difficult I understand that from personal experiences. You feel awkward to talk to them and try and avoid conversations with them incase the subject comes up again. I think its very important to express how this is making you feel to them because if you dont then they may keep brining the subject up and making you feel uncomfortable and even upsetting you. Having a heathy relationship with your parents is very important. That is why I believe that you need to find a middle ground where you are both happy and you can then work on you differences. Talking about how you feel with you parents opens paths for healthy and close relations with them.
Dawnabc
I take a break from them, try to see it from their perspective and try and address that instead of solely on my own interests. It doesn't make me selfless to remember they want what's best for me.
CoffeeForThree
February 23rd, 2016 1:06pm
Talk to your parents about the subject and find a midpoint to where both of you guys can agree on. Communication is key.
SgtPeppers
Talk with respect , even if you don't agree with them. You can , however, try to get your point across without bring disrespectful and angry. I know it's easier said than done but you can always try.
yourbestfrndpals
first smile and hug them don't argue at that moment and after everything cools down go to them and make them understand your point of view.
HalcyonPhoenix
Your parents mostly want what's best for you. But sometimes your perspectives may differ. It is important to understand where they are coming from. You can try to communicate your perspective to them, politely and firmly.
minime98
Try to tell them that you're not really fond with their decisions and tell them to consider your own decisions. Tell them this nicely, as many parents like to think they're always right and would think you're trying to rebel against them if you tell them rudely.