What does it mean when you feel lonely all the time?

Penny Dahlen, Ed.D., LPC

I am committed to helping you find your passion, heal old wounds, and flow smoother in all aspects of your life path! I use a compassionate listening approach.

Anonymous
You might be feeling desolated from the world. Maybe you stopped the connections you had with your friends and relatives without even wanting to. Try to meet up with old friends.
MsWhite
It could mean that no matter how many people you have around you, you don't have a soul-to-soul connection with anyone..
contentheart16
I think feeling lonely all the time does not necessarily mean you are alone all the time. You can feel alone in a big group of people or even in your own house. Sometimes that is how it was for me. You may feel that people do not understand you or you may feel that you are truly isolated from the people around you. It is the worst feeling ever, especially when you have people around you that love you unconditionally.
Zac001
It's perfectly normal to go through times where you feel alone. I have been there many times I myself and one pretty recently. Try to surround yourself with people who mean the most to you. Focus on the good.
Anonymous
You might be neglected by the people around you or maybe you are just having lots of time where you don't have tasks to do so you stay alone & think about your problems while everyone else is busy in their own lives
lovingLynx89
It means you love being connected to others in a deep way and there is more potential in you to look for deeper connection with those you love.
Anonymous
When you feel lonely all the time it could mean that you either done connect with many people or you need to go out there a make friends by joining sports clubs,lessons etc.
originalbraveheart63
It may mean many things, if it is possible to talk to someone then try to do it, maybe it would help.
Bri2341
You actually have no one
emmalah
Usually it means the connections that are existent in your life aren't fulfilling you emotionally in a way that you need. To help it can be quite useful in really looking at what you want from the support network around you and being able to voice those wants so that you can strengthen weak connections. It is perfectly valid to feel lonely even in a room full of people, try to pick out one or two people that you think may be able to help and work on creating a dialogue you are in control of that fulfills you. Sending hugs!
Anonymous
If you feel lonely all the time then that is not a good sign. I, myself have been through that feeling my most of my teenage years. You may feel like, more people is the solution to your loneliness, but alas, it is not so. Instead, i would say that it may be the result of us, spending so much time in our head, overthinking every little thing. It may also mean, we are not challenging ourselves to grow as much as we should. It may also mean that we haven't yet found our passion in life (or really a thing that we are good at and love doing). Just realize that we need get out of our head and live the hell out of whatever is presented to us by our life. Just give yourself new challenges to overcome and try your best (what if you can't? You will still have a best time).
Katietoerag
It can be a symptom of depression and is something you should seek expert advice on. Loneliness effects people in different ways, some crave to be alone, others hate it yet feel alone when surrounded by friends. Loneliness is not about being physically alone but the mind set itself.
skeletondoorframe
When you feel lonely all the time, it could mean you don't talk to your friends enough. Try to shoot them a message or do something with them.
aimy
It can mean a great deal of things. Loneliness can be a symptom of something more serious, like depression. Remember to take care of yourself and if you feel compelled to, seeing a doctor isn't a bad idea if your loneliness is affecting your quality of life.
Anonymous
You are probably not getting what you need from the people in your life - support, affection, conversation...
ElephantTiger1
Feeling lonely isn't an uncommon response, people will go through loneliness at least once in their lifetime. Sometimes when we feel lonely this can be an indication that something in your life needs to change, whether that is an unhealthy relationship with a friend or partner or even the job that you are in. Sometimes changing routine and trying something different or new to engage yourself in new experiences can be enough to make you feel included and accepted again. But please remember that even when you feel alone and like nobody cares, people do care and you are greatly loved. Don't give up, I believe in you!
fantasticArrow20
It feels like you have something interesting to tell everyone but no one to listen to you. The feeling of not belonging makes a person feel lonely all the time.
Anonymous
Loneliness over prolonged periods of time could be a result of social isolation or long periods of withdrawal from the world around you. Alternatively loneliness can be felt despite being surrounded by others perhaps due to a lack of people to confide in
Swish2Swish
It might mean that you lost touch with yourself. Try to connect with your heart and your gut. If you feel lonely all the time, it might mean you have depression. Or it could mean that you don't have enough connection in your life, such as prayer, family, friends, and aquaintances, and animals.
ScreenOphelia
September 22nd, 2017 5:28am
When you feel lonely all the time, to the point where it inhibits your ability to feel any positive emotion, it can mean you're feeling a bit depressed. While it is common to feel depressed from time to time, it isn't a great time forthe person experiencing it. When you are feeling lonely, it can be best not to surround yourself with people, but maybe to do something nice for yourself. Something that you'd enjoy, even in solitude!
fruityRose13
Feeling lonely is a sign of depression. I use to suffer from depression and I was lonely even when i was surrounded by friends. It was a constant feeling in my chest. Its an awful feeling that took a lot of self training before it stopped. And even now, I sometimes get random bouts of the feeling.
WishfulTree35
There are times when you feel lonely while being with a bunch of people, right? When you feel lonely, it means you feel alone. It can be caused by not having someone to talk to. It's the feeling you get when you want to tell someone something, but there is no one there that you want to tell.
Anonymous
It could mean that you feel you have no one to share your feelings with. It is possible that you have kept a lot inside yourself because either you didn't know how to communicate those feelings or you didn't have anyone to communicate them to. Both of these can make you feel lonely, since you're keeping feelings and emotions to yourself.
moonlightdragon
It can means a lot of things, but the main can be that you don't feel any true connections with the people around you. Like you might talk and do stuff thogether but it feels like you're just doing it with a stranger who is casually there.
youaresobeautiful99
You keep staying away from people, do not make a move first but deep inside, you really need someone to talk to.
HannahCares
November 22nd, 2017 9:40am
Feeling lonely all the time is being surrounded by people but feeling totally disconnected from everyone. It's knowing you have people to turn to but being too anxious or scared to open up or burden them with your problems that could seem trivial. It's hating to be by yourself but also loving it at the same time. It's pushing people away even though they just want to help.
Anonymous
When you feel like you have nobody to talk to and when you feel alone. When you feel like nobody understands you and when you want somebody by your side to support you.
Anonymous
Human beings are instinctively social animals. It is natural for us to feel alone or lonely when we are isolated from others. Sometimes, however, when we are constantly feeling alone, it may be that we are turning away from ourselves. Although our negative thinking patterns will lead us to think so, there is nothing inherently wrong with you if you feel lonely most of the time. A few things we can do about this loneliness are 1. Challenge our inner critics by acknowledging our negative thought without judgement of ourselves. 2. Practicing kindness and self compassion, and 3. Think outside ourselves by practicing generosity for others.
WiseCarol1
You are probably at some level of depression. It is normal to feel lonely some times, but not all of the time. You probably need to find a hobby, help someone else, go to the gym to exercise, and if none of those things work, get some professional help.
Anonymous
It means that I am not having meaningful connections with the people I am talking to. Sometimes I can see 50 people in a day and I still feel lonely. But when I have one meaningful connection, I don't feel so lonely.