How can I deal with a panic attack when I am out?

Catherine Demirdogucu, Level 4 Diploma with Merit. CBT and Mindfulness Practitioner.

It takes courage and strength to seek help. My desire is to help my clients express themselves and grow in confidence, my support is offered in a nonjudgmental manner.

bornabaz
Get into a calm place or just leave the setting it happened at. Think about your breathing and blasting music could help
MajorKatastrophe
Go to an area that you feel is safe and try some deep breathing. While breathing try to take your mind off what caused the anxiety in the first place. Later on, when you are comfortable stopping a panic attack you can think through the problem logically and you will typically find whatever caused the panic attack was something silly. I have issues with big crowds because I feel everyone is looking right at me, but outside of a big crowd I realize that most likely no one is noticing me at all and there is no reason for anxiety. Breathing exercises do wonders though.
Anonymous
I understand having a panic attack on the public can be really frustrating and difficult! Have you tried to distract yourself? Take deep breaths, think of a nice picture and ask yourself what you see, what you hear and what you smell, call to a friend or family member, count shoes or t-shirts with a specific color. Generally, the best thing you can do is to distract yourself. Try to find some techniques that can help you to calm yourself and use them when you are mad, anxious or even when you are about to have a panic attack.
Savvy102317
The first thing you should do is try to control your breathing using block breathing. A technique used to steady your breathing. Breathe in for 2 seconds, hold for 2 seconds, out for 2 seconds hold for 2 seconds and then repeat. The next thing you should do is try to ground yourself. Look for 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can taste and one thing you can smell. This will help you control your panic attack and maybe even stop it. Hope you have a great day :)
Anonymous
Diaphragmatic breathing is a great tool to help deal with a panic attack. It helps to practice diaphragmatic breathing regularly, even when not experiencing anxiety, because this breathing technique can help mitigate the physical symptoms of a panic attack. Practicing in advance makes it more likely that the skill will be called upon in the midst of an attack when stress is running high. Practicing also increases the chances of it working successfully and builds confidence in having a positive outcome. No one need be aware that the breathing technique is being used so there is no need for concern or embarrassment. There are helpful resources that teach diaphragmatic on the internet and on YouTube.