How did I get addicted so quickly to cutting?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Anonymous
When you cut your body releases chemicals in your body that make you feel good, so much like other things that feel good that can be addictive (a decent example in this case is how people can get addicted to sexual pleasure) it is really just that you want to have these chemicals that feel good and the cutting is the way your body has gotten used to getting it so it is the way it will have an addiction to getting it.
Anonymous
Because what you feel when you cut is relief. It makes you feel better, so you keep on cutting and get addicted from it.
Anonymous
Because the first times the best. The first time you experience the relief. That's why it's addicting. The relief gets out of control. You want more and more. And then you keep doing it. It's a cycle.
ItsButterflyLove
Cutting is highly addictive. When you cut and combine positive thoughts with the action or feeling you want to do it again. Od you don't have any negative emotions about it or do it regulary the body falls into a state of a habbit. If you cut please concider to go to a psychologist. They can and will help you. Talk to someone. You are not alone. And remember: You are beautiful.
TheRealMadison
you got addicted because it momentarily took the pain away. its not a safe coping mechinism. seek professional help, or talk talk to a trusted individual.
lilunicorn
in your brain it makes serotonin which makes you feel like everything is better for a while. its same like smoking or running, you start to be addicted.
anewday22
Usually someone around you does it. And when you start you have this surge to do it. It usually develops fast.
Anonymous
It's easy not to go to work/school. It's easy to stay home and watch television all day. You fall into a routine and especially if bad influences are involved, makes habits hard to kick. Rearrange your priorities and have a vision. Pave your way and nothing will stand in it !
EnchantedPepper
Cutting is an addiction just like smoking, drinking and drugs. It's quite easy to get addicted to the temporary relief that cutting gives. It can give a sense of control to the individual, control that they may not have in their normal day to day life. But like all addictions, it can be beat, there are many other positive coping strategies that can be used in its place.
Anonymous
I controlled the pain. I could ease my mental pain with physical, which was easier to manage. By cutting, I could direct how I felt, rather than let it consume me
Anonymous
i felt as if my pain my heavy heart became lighter as the blood came out. it didnt hurt as i had been hurt quite more from inside before
DiamonddogLikesNutella
When you cut the body releases chemicals that make you feel better, which is why so many use it as a coping mechanism. Like a drug, your body becomes addicted to the rush of chemicals that make you feel good and starts to crave it.
BunnyBop
It's Suprising how addicting self harming can be. At first it's only a couple of times but then it quickly and scarily escalates. It can be hard to stop but never impossible, doing different things such as doodling instead of cutting can greatly help
Chantelly121
Cutting releases 'good feel' chemicals like endorphins and adrenaline. These can give you a rush and may alienate emotional pain temporarily. Your body can build up a tolerance to these chemicals, so need more to feel that same amount of relief again. If it is a go to mechanism to relieve emotional pain, then it can quickly become addictive
Anonymous
Cutting is a coping skill that becomes a habit, our brains release chemicals that view it as a stress relief
Anonymous
The act of cutting releases endorphins in the brain that make you feel a sense of relief and then you associate that feeling with the self harm, this will make it likely that you will keep going back to it.
Anonymous
I've been addicted to cutting, and I know how addicting it can be. I think it's addicting because it's the only way someone can feel anything besides anger and sadness. It's something that I've struggled with since I was 12. I knew it was bad, but I couldn't go a day without cutting. I stopped doing it, on my own. It's best to tell someone, even though it may be hard because it can be really hard to quit. I have addictions on both sides of my family, so do struggle with not cutting every day. But when I want to cut, I just go and read a book, listen to encouraging music, or I talk to someone.