How can I put down my phone and go to sleep?

Tracy-Kate Teleke, M.A., LMFT

I assist adults and couples in CA experiencing relationship challenges and interpersonal struggles including anxiety, depression, and a myriad of other life challenges.

DonaldK
It is not easy putting away technology, especially if we use every day. We have to tell our brains that it is time to shut down. You have to physically remove your phone from your hand.
fancyGrace43
Turn off volume, place further from your bed, close your eyes, think about things that comfort you and try to relax. Good night.
BlueRoseAoiBara
It basically comes to will power to actually put your phone away and go to sleep instead. Time your phone charging so that the battery will be low just around the time you are supposed to sleep.
Estreyas
If you are struggling to put your phone down, it might be worth reducing this time gradually over a number of nights or trying a different routine.
Anonymous
You have to think about the pros of sleep. Your body is always working 24/7. Night time is when they reduce their high performance and and cool down a little. Think about the pressure you are putting your body if you don't give it rest. You can play your phone another day.
originalbraveheart63
Just try to do it partially, everyday try to go to sleep a bit earlier until you are happy with your sleep schedule.
Lovelylistener8
Try to listen to music. Many people are on their phones because they like something to do. Don't depend on it. Put it down plug in ear buds and relax.
SuperHope
December 22nd, 2016 12:57am
Try replace phone activity with reading. This will help you use more brain capacity and then help you sleep better
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2016 11:53pm
Try not to start any conversations when it's getting late. Another thing that helps is downloading a 'blue light filter' which lets you edit the brightness of your screen to a greater extent than normal. This helps by stopping your phone from hurting your eyes in the dark, and means it's easier to sleep once you've stopped.
MichelleChew
Personally, I would try to drain my battery before bed time so i wouldn't stay on my phone before bed time. Then, i would have no choice but to charge it. Another way is to keep your phone further away from you.
sierralocket
January 21st, 2017 2:46pm
Our cell phones emit blue light, which is supposed to, in a way, resemble sunlight. No matter how low you turn your brightness at night, your screen will still emit this light. This could disrupt your circadian rhythm (internal clock) and thus cause you to have trouble sleeping. I downloaded an app called Twilight (which is free) and it replaced the blue light with red light, which gradually increases as it gets later. This should help you get back to a healthy sleep pattern
Helperjane
February 2nd, 2017 7:18am
Try putting a limit on your wifi. Do get it to turn off when you want to go to sleep. Try putting your phone down half an hour before you go to sleep as the screen brightness can keep you awake. Try breathing techniques to put your mind on something else. There are many on the Internet.
Anonymous
Try putting it down in another room or give it to someone to hold onto it at night. Also you can just lock it up in something for the night.
ephemeralkidd
Listen to some relaxing, ambient sounds, like the quiet hum of a fan or by keeping the TV on low volume. You could also listen to ASMR to help you fall asleep. It can also help to reduce stress and anxiety.
amiableEyes21
Set an alarm. At the alarm, you have to put it away, no if ands or buts. If you don't, give yourself a small punishment eg no dessert, no phone for an hour before bed the next day, etc. You could also leave it outside your room
Josefina93
Put it down, but if it is too hard to sleep right after, grab a book, meditate or do something that you know will make you sleepy.
DannyEberth
When you realize how late you are up going through your phone. You realize it needs to change. So before you attempt to go to sleep. Put your phone on airplane mode so it doesn't recieve notifications. Mute all ringtones except for your alarm.
Anonymous
You could plan the time you go to bed every night and you can but your phone somewhere you won't be bothered to get out of bed and turn lights of and make it dark or cold how you like it and then lay down and relac
AntonMcGoworth
by not deciding to ask quesions like this on sites on the internet. but in all seriousness, get all the stuff you wanna do on your phone done during the daytime. now if you like to have this during the night, maybe had a busy day, like to relax, then just try to put it somewhere else. let it go, get a good nights sleep and itll effect decision making later on :)
Sittingwithyou
Smartphone and internet addiction is real. If being on your phone is cutting into sleep and feels difficult to control or put boundaries around, this may be a sign that you need some help. Recognizing there is a problem is the first step!
TheCup5893
Well, summoning the willpower is the hardest thing to do but here's a tip. I have a hard time waking up in the morning. So what I do is I set the creepiest alarm on full volume and put my phone as furtherest away from me as possible. This way, I jump out of bed to go snooze it! I sometimes dismiss the alarm completely and go back to sleep but that's another matter with relation to the will power!
Armanta
It's hard because the phone is such a mobile device and therefore you can take it anywhere anytime. But it is possible to just put it down and go to sleep, one way to do this might be to put it in another room before you sleep so you aren't tempted to pick it up straight away. Another way might be to leave it across the room, if you use it as an alarm clock this might be best as it keeps it away from you but also makes sure you get up and have to walk to turn off the alarm in the morning.
Anonymous
Turn off the sound on your phone and put it in the other end of the room, and then when you lay down in your bed, you'll be too lazy to get up and get your phone.
Paige81
I have learned to turn off all sounds on my phone while I am sleeping. Many phones have a "do not disturb" setting. I would still find myself checking facebook or email any time I woke up to use the restroom. This was just as harmful to a goodnight's rest. I told myself, "any post that is interesting will still be there tomorrow". If I am really struggling to put the phone down I will charge it in another room and turn my alarm setting volume up to the max so I can still here it in the morning.
Sunshine444
Its matter of discipline and some habits are difficult to change..and change from bad to good takes efforts. .so first mentally be ready to follow a schedule ..try for 2 days week then slowly increase the days and they do it for 21 days at a stretch..simple activity is ...many smartphones come up with scheduled off timer and on timer just do that and whenever your phone turn on the off timer ..be sure to keep your phone away...also if you want play light instrumental music that generates good sleep (available on YT) and listen it to it...it will stop automatically and you will fall sleep... also make sure you change your status on social networking app.. "phone off till morning" so they don't disturb you. Try and let me know how it works for you :)
rinkuandriku
First of all, try to practice turning your phone off at least 30 minutes before bed at the same time everyday. Place your phone away from you or give it to someone to keep during the night. Then, you're temptation to pick up your phone in bed might be curbed.
samlovenothate
move it all the way across the room so that you have to get up to get it. once you are laying down and feeling tired, you wont want to get up. turn the sound off and turn vibration off so you cannot hear it ringing or vibrating.
hearthugger47
Put your phone out of your view, like charging it in a different room, that way you will be less easily triggered to pick up your phone.
Anonymous
You can usually turn it off, so it won't be distracting you. It's also better if you put it in another room.
SearchFor
1. Use Night Shift (iOS) or F.lux (Android) or any lights that reduce the blue light on your screen 2. Turn Airplane Mode on for the night 3. Have an evening routine. Make it a habit to stop using your phone an hour before bed. Instead, you can shower, read, meditate, journal, plan out the next day, or so on.