How do you balance homework with all the other things you are doing, exercise, sleeping and socializing for example?

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

Pri009
Use google calendar or a printed calendar with a lot of color coded events. Space out your homework in parts throughout the day so you can accomplish it without feeling bored or exhausted. Also, prioritize! Use color coding (sticky notes/different highlighters) to identify hierarchy of importance of the tasks you need to get done.
bestTruth96
Make a schedule for homework. For example Monday through Friday and x time is homework time and stick to it.
Anonymous
For starters, start by setting up a schedule/daily timetable. To reinforce the schedule, reward yourself for every time you follow through with it. However, remember that sometimes, changes are needed. So don't be afraid to adjust your schedule accordingly to fulfil your needs.
Anonymous
It's a tricky thing to do, that's for sure! Aside from skipping out on sleep, I always try to make time each day to do a little bit of all of those things. It helps to prioritize as well; what is the most important thing in this moment, right now? Can the homework wait while I go running for a while? It may help to explain your busy schedule with your friends, whom should be understanding of your needs.
Anonymous
Try and organise your days, writing a list or a schedule to help you fit everything in, somedays other things may have to be sacrificed
Anonymous
Hmm. The key is to manage your time. Set a respective time for homework - and make it a habit. For instance, even if there are not homeworks or any projects to be submitted it helps your memory (especially the long-term aspect) to study in small chunks. Read and study in advance if you can. Take good notes and read them before class. For other activities, the same applies: create a habit. Start slowly. Baby steps. For example: one hour of study then right after you can exercise. As a prize, you can use the remaining time to socialize or do what you love.
Anonymous
Balancing things is difficult especially when you have lots of thing to do. i create my time table, after my work i find time to reach old friend and my office mates then the next day i set time to study.i also spend time 15 to 30 mins of working out or walking and during Sundays I sleep a lot .
DarkestBeforeDawn
I struggle with this from time to time. For me, it is a matter of making myself a schedule. I have found that having it written down and keeping notifications in my phone are very helpful for me.
esistinmir
I try to make homework a priority which means that it is the first thing I do when I get home. If it is a bigger piece of work, I usually save it until I have more time. Even though socializing is a big part of human's life, I put it a little aside when I have too much school work and keep it for when I'm at school or another activity!
itsoookay
By trying to plan ahead. Mayby try buying a planner or a callendar. Make it a fun experience and something to look forward to. You can do it! ;)
ActiveListener0809
The best thing in this case is: planning properly. You can set yourself an agenda to be able to know what times you assign yourself for everything.
RaeOfHope
Make a schedule and schedule everything out, set aside time for each activity that is important to you. You may not have time for everything everyday, but write out yiur week so you can look forward to activities.
Riks12
While completing homework is definitely a priority for me, other things, such as exercise, sleeping, and socializing are just as important. I make sure to give myself adequate time to finish whatever assignments I have (this means trying hard not to procrastinate!) so that I can enjoy socializing with friends or other activities that I like doing. I try to use those other activities as an incentive to get my work done. For example: Have I completed what I needed to today? If so, then I can go to the movies tonight. If not, then I haven't earned that free time. However, health above all else. Regardless of how much work I still have yet to finish, getting enough sleep and exercise is of utmost importance. Brains don't typically function well otherwise. So sometimes, sleeping early even if I still have work to do, is a lot more productive than staying up late to finish and can often provide me with new perspective and renewed energy in the morning.
Create a schedule for everything and stick to it. So that you will have the time for all the things that you need to do.
MissMonMon
I love making sure my diary is well ordered and layer out. I make sure that I put in all my appointments and schedules including how long I plan to study, workout or take time off. Although life gets a bit hectic and you do need a day off every now and again, by sticking to a schedule, I find that I stay more focused and don't procrastinate as much.
KristenHR
Homework takes a lot of time and energy to complete, particularly the higher up in education we go. Much like a job we would go to for set hours, study time can be scheduled as well and be held as just as important. Getting up to move around at least every 45 minutes can reduce the intensity of the study because it gives our minds a break and gives us time to get a drink, run to the restroom, grab a snack, or even take time to give attention to your pet. Having a list of what you need to do readily available that you can cross off would be helpful, or even a time schedule of all the events you do over the 24 hour day. These are just a couple thoughts that have worked for me during college, work and volunteer time.
Anonymous
I personally love to make a schedule for myself and write down all the events that are coming up and what times and days I have them on, this way I can easily keep track of what's happening on which day and when I should go to sleep, exercise, do homework, make dinner and socialise.
CuriousKate
I think the most important thing is to create a schedule and fully commit to each activity in its allotted time. It's such an easy concept but takes a big commitment. It also takes practice in turning off the endless questioning in your mind that makes you second guess what you're doing. Exercise and sleep both require routine - same time, every day. Once you get on that schedule, everything else will flow naturally. Homework takes discipline - start with chunks of time and reward yourself when you complete a given module. Socializing can actually be a good reward, if in fact it's rewarding for you. Be sure to celebrate moments of success with things that incentivize you to keep up the good work.