It feels like I get a headache every day at work, what should I do?

Jamie Sclafani , LMSW

I have an holistic approach to therapy. There is definitely not a "one size fits all" solution. Each person is unique, as is their situation.

Anonymous
Headaches have numerous causes, so perhaps you can ask yourself questions to determine what could be contributing to the problem: + Am I getting adequate, good quality sleep? + What are my diet and exercise habits like? Could certain foods be the cause? + Do headaches/migraines run in my family? + What tasks am I doing when my head starts to hurt? + How do I feel about my job? + How do I feel about other aspects of my life?
Anonymous
Ask yourself the frank questions about your job. Do you regret going in every day? Do you bring ithome at night? Are you doing work that is someone else's? Do you feel valued. Finally, are you prepared to maybe move on to another job if it comes to that or do you feel handcuffed to a job you don't like? Examine the answers and make wise decisions accordingly.
Kimmelane
First, go to the doctor to rule out any medical causes. If it turns out not to be medical, then consider ways to reduce your stress. There are resources here on 7cups (click on "Self-Help Guides" at the top of the page, then scroll down to "Work-Related Stress") and there are other resources available on the internet. You might consider taking up a calming type of exercise, such as yoga, or mindfulness practices such as meditation.
Anonymous
If you're experiencing recurring headaches, this may be the sign of a more serious health problem. I recommend speaking with your primary care physician, whom can help you decide if it's merely stress or something more concerning. Even if it is stress, there are plenty of coping mechanisms that you can explore; for some people, it's medication, but perhaps all you need is to take small breaks every once and a while. Everyone's different-- find what works best for you.
bestTruth96
This maybe due to stress. Stress related headache maybe effecting your work day. Coping skills may help you deal with stress at work.
amorvincitomnia143
Learn some meditation techniques you can use on your lunch break. I also find that keeping hydrated helps with stress related headaches for me. Try to organize yourself as much as possible so that things go more smoothly at work. If headaches persist, I would always go see my physician for further help.
MonkeyMaster
Headaches are a common symptom of stress. If you don't suffer from any medical condition, stress might be the cause. Identify what stresses you the most, use relaxation techniques, talk to your co-workers and bosses to find solutions to your stressful situations.
LovingPhantom
Well since I have chronic daily migraines, I get it. I recommend consulting a neurologist or doctor. It can be stress, muscle tension, or something more serious.
electricPoetry61
First, get a checkup to see there is nothing wrong with your head muscles etc. If it is due to the 'stress' of having to go to work, perhaps its not the right workplace for you and you need to search for something that is more meaningful and something you enjoy working in?
Wishfulthinking44
You should speak to a doctor about your symptoms. You might be stressed out or need more sleep. Speak to a doctor, that will be the best answer.
SMLHappy
I would look for what may be the catalyst for the headache. What do you do differently at work that may be causing the issue that you do not do outside of work?
MissLuthien
If you are getting headaches all the time, it may be good to see your doctor or optician to narrow out any sickness or vision issues, especially if working with screens. Make sure you keep hydrated too.
niceSun56
1) Make sure that you have eaten, and that you have not consumed too much caffeine and/or sugar. 2) Note the times that these headaches occur. Are they at about the same time(s) daily? 3) Are they connected to specific work activities or interactions with certain coworkers? Being able to pinpoint times or causes can help you prepare for stress that can cause these headaches. 3) If you haven't had a physical recently, visit your doctor to rule out health causes.
niceRainbows39
It is probably stress, although it could be something else like a medical issue. If it is stress, try to take some time during the day while you are not at work to just relax and calm down (maybe meditate or reflect n how your day went). If you also find out what is stressing you out specifically, do something about it. For example, if you are stressed out by the fact that you have a pile of papers on your desk waiting to be filled out, then fill them out. If taking care of stress doesn't make it go away, then I would speak to your doctor to check if it is a medical issue.