Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do you believe that our minds contribute to a large extent to our suffering?

User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 April 17th, 2025


Hello everyone, it's time again for a discussion question. I am really curious to hear your thoughts on this - suffering!

Now, let's discuss everyday suffering, conditions or feelings brought on by circumstances that arise in everyone’s lives like not being able to get something we need, missing the bus etc., not very serious suffering like trauma. 

Do you believe that our minds contribute to a large extent to our suffering? 

Can you explain why or why not? 


UPDATED TAGLIST 4/3/2025

@00WHY00 @1Marg1  @24963534 @24Help1 @4Rainbow42 @5catsandme @8Khaleesi8 @allen99 @ArinDee @Actuallynobody017 @adaptableOcean4193 @adventurousBranch3786 @adventurousSugar1991 @affableowl5126 @affectionateCat9553 @affectionatePear7889 @agreeablestrawberries1285 @ahaller @ahds2k @ahel58 @akbj @AKmarshmallow @Aksabode @alan254 @alanapiana1970 @Alexy333  @alleywood13 @AllyJingles @amanda @ambitiousNectarine1482 @Amelia763 @Amelia2324 @amiablePeace77 @amiableTortoise2797 @AmiYumi @amusingcranberry1537 @AmusingJet302 @anderly @andy @Angelface50 @AnnieIsMe @aquaCake3636 @ARIBA5 @Artemis13579 @AshcloudMac @askquestions1 @Aspace4u @Awesomesummer1628 @ayeyaeyaaaaaaaa @azureblueheron @azuladragon34 @Baby1120 @ballooningSloth @BaltimoreSpring @bamafan96 @Barltik2065 @Beanno @beautifulsoul @becausepuppies @Beck @becknit @beachyone @believing777 @berta0322 @Bestmaple2045 @bestplum1189 @betheileen @better2Bbrave @beverlianne @bigalt21 @Billyjoe9717 @bimmernizer @BirdsWhoWrite @bisketties @bklnstar @BlackApple6420 @BLSD2021 @bluebell34 @BlueEyes1819 @blueOrange6725 @BlueSky0708 @Blueskye24  @Bluesky1964 @bluevelvet3 @Blugreg @bogartfan @BookishWendy @bouncyBeach42 @BookishWendy @bouncyVoice4149 @breezyoctopus @brightChestnut3152 @BrightSugar1923 @brightZebra 8925 @bubblePomegranate7179 @BurdensDown @cafelatte46 @cal1860 @CaliforniaViv @calmblueocean @calmVase7032 @Cammiecat @CandyBubblegumSprinkles @carefreeheart57 @CarefulGrapes590 @carefulsailboat231 @carelady @caringone1004 @CaringPanda45 @caringPumpkin64 @CaringSharon @CaringSub @carscarey @casey90 @cathy @catlady @catmandu @caughtinthemiddle @Cazzy8752 @Cheerie @chickadee123 @Chro411924 @CHT @CintaBali @classylady521 @Cliffg747 @coach411  @Communicativepenny8383 @compassionteHuman5626 @CompassionateLand2815 @compassionatePlace3012 @Confused7461 @conscientiousCoconut8216 @convivialCake8989 @ConvivialFriend9402 @Cookiecrumbles7079 @coolvibes @CoriF @courageousCoconut7282 @courageouspanda2006  @CourageousDaisy1111 @courageousLemon182    @CourageousSpring2022 @courteousLime9432 @CreativeYard1702 @crimsonShade6782 @CtownMimi @ctw1237 @Cubby2020 @curiousbutterfly77 @currentwise @cyanBirch4288 @CyclingThroughLife @DanaMH @DaSponge @DancingJoy811 @dapperPond2037 @Dave94305 @debbiehun @decisivetangerine2856 @decisiveBanana1981 @DDPaintsStuff @DeeGold @DELTA0112 @Den2542 @determinedNectarine9383 @dillon8524 @DinaElwy @diofono @diplomaticoak9588 @discreetMelon5938 @discreettriangle87 @DiscretOcean7936 @doginashirt @dolphinlver @Doodles7 @duces @ecstaticlght @einarsgirl @elderfarm @Electric100 @ElizabethGiovi @EmbStitcher33 @empathicForest15 @Emptynest2020 @emotional232023 @enigmaticOcean8813 @endearingLion70 @Enthusiasticnest1089 @equinox56 @Eva66 @Every1ahome @ExDesertScapegoat @exuberantAvocado5095 @fairmindedStrawberries7429 @Faithfulapple2400 @faithlove1111 @Favor2020 @favour  @fearlessSouth4632 @FlowerLily23 @FoolsSelf @forcefulFriend4768 @forcefulStrings1005 @forcefulWriter32 @forko23 @Fradiga @Freeskier @FriendlyAnju777 @friendly10 @friendlyCat50 @fromthetent81 @frothyMagic6772 @FusionX33 @GabbyGee @Gabriellegahnsuksah @Gale1032 @galfromaway @gardenyarn @generousBalloon786 @gentleEast4230 @gentleLand5245 @GiftedEmpath3 @goldilocks1041 @goodmelon8247 @goodYard1477 @goodStrawberries7059 @GothamRam @gracefulDay3692 @GrammatoBoys @Grandma1 @GrandmaLolly @Gramma2FnM @Grammy23 @Grammy23 @Gr8ful1974 @GreenCircleGaia  @Greenpear036 @greenSummer1236 @gregariousKiwi9594 @gregariousZebra21 @Groovygirl11 @guitarman087 @Gwen1963 @GypsyRed @HaloCompany88 @HappyHelper242 @hoppa12 @HealingGriz @Heather2020 @helloBike4402 @hellopusher @helloTalker8798 @honestPeach5447 @Hotaru419 @hounddog2021 @HY00 @iamroni  @icanremember  @icedcoffee211109 @IHDW1982 @ihtak @impartialDrum1848 @impartialRaspberries1389 @indigolilly1500 @indigoFriend7851  @indigoMoon1246 @innerLove @introvertedextrovert2122 @intuitiveBunny8426 @intuitiveFriend1097 @Irene2552 @IWuzADuck @JackKost @jackrock @japanesegardengirl @jazzgtr @Jim @jlmouranet @jillwings7@JolivetteListens @JoniGirl @Judecat42W1370 @junem @justbecause @Justbreathingx9 @JustExisting1027 @JustMe1225 @justpassingthrough10 @K8tjee @kala @Katbtrying552 @Kathy1212 @kathy3667 @Kavajava @kcollier6517 @Kevin0291 @kickiree @kickan75 @Kimberley555 @KindblueEyes @kindCloud141 @Kira09 @kit4228 @KittenConsolas @KittenKonsolas @kitty2018 @kittycat15 @klemen @koyaanisqatse8 @Kurt789 @LadySnowcat @LakeGirl819 @Lara @lateasusual @Lauren63 @LavenderDaily @lesjon @lelahni @Lifer  @lightBalsam5585 @LightSoul108 @lilaj3796  @LimegreenNorth1124 @LindaWinNJ @lisamac724 @ListeningKaty @livefreely04 @LivingLovingLifeRecovery @livingwithbpdx2 @lledmonds1969 @Lolowise475 @lonea @Lonelybeth @LoneShade @lookingforpeace @lookoutOwl8 @LostanLonely @Lostinlove50 @love @Love2Boat65 @LovecraftianHorror @LoveResearcher @lrsmith9636 @LucianX @Luciddreamsicle @luv2shop @mabelanne20 @madhu @Maebyb@Maka10 @mamamel @mamapants @MariaLands @Marspock @meforexample @Melayla @Melissa22320 @Mellieme l1971 @mellisendis @Mercymama1224 @metta2u @mettagirl @MidwesternCalmSeeker @Mindy @ministermichelle @MissPen@MistyMagic @Mla69 @mm2022 @modestOcean7984 @modestwatermelon2938 @moi2016 @mommabear0562 @MondoRalph @Mooboxer @moocher @morecake @Motherofcats1955 @MrKindness @MsVee2021 @MusicCandy @Musicman50 @musicwithbrass @mutter3 @myer @MysticSoul88 @Nanci @navyAcai7149 @neatandtidy72@neonChestnut9655 @neverendingtime23 @NightListener3262  @nippycat @NotAllHere713 @No1Angel68 @nobodyimportantmn @Nogift @NormaAnne @Oddball76779 @oel @OffMyTrack @OliveCamp8456 @omez125 @OmWeAreOne @Open12 @OptimisticAcres4817 @optimisticRaspberries5247 @outofspace7 @PatienceImpatiens @PaytonGlover @Peace1221 @peaceandlove65 @peachy53 @PepperBunny @PetiteSouris @pgreen6840 @phantomsmilesphilosophicalacai7803 @PitbullMom9 @philosophicalAcres8914 @philosophicalKiwi4956 @pianocat @placidplum3193 @pluckystrings4696 @plumPapaya7147 @plumSkies6526 @politePear3867 @positiveriver9935 @potatoxcrispztrish @powerfulOak2587 @powerfulMaple1852 @practicalbalsam @PracticalCat2637 @proactiveCup703 @Proudme @Puddinpen  @PurpledPeach @purpleNorth4637 @purplefan5510 @purplepansies8591 @purpletangerine87 @purpletree4652 @PurpleWater74 @pxidis @Qooo @quietbeach575 @purpleCircle8013 @quietFlower25 @quietlightning @quietSail6485 @quietStrawberries9260 @Ran3707 @RainbowRosie @rationalWater7635 @RavingTiger @readytolisten7799 @RebelliousMirror @redOrange9587@redCococnut7440 @redPenny @Redpeppers @Redrhapsody @reliableHickory3670 @reliablemoon26 @reliablemoon6376 @repen13 @Resourceful2021 @rhoda @richyShiny39 @RideaRainbow @River416 @Roger57 @RogueOne1983 @Rose1324  @Ross63 @roxymar @ruffneckred @Ruthanny1243 @sailinsunshine @SallyMoore @sallymander36 @samSympa3 @Sandidegeer @SarahKind @Sarrahbhai @sb805 @ScarletLand3247 @ScarletPear1945 @SeaLady @Seasidelady61 @secretMap2091 @secretTriangle7438 @Sedtzl1 @seeker1898 @SeekerSher @seekinghappy55 @selfdisciplinedPenny281  @seniorlady @sensibleBunny2134 @sensiblePal7535 @ShadowFaerie  @Shycat542 @shycranberry2308 @sillyrabbit7 @sincereGrapefruit4682 @sincerelandsincereOak6832 @SKHK @Skyglider @Skyy0 @SleeplessVet @SloRollin62  @smead85 @Smilintru67 @smokescrunch @sngrlittle @snugglyLight2001 @sonerii @soothingArrow47 @sophiaaiello @SoulfulCat22 @soulsings @spielmanjr  @spongbobishappy @SpreadAloha @StartExploring @stayingsafe @SteampunkOkc @stilltrying126 @sthompso @StormyTimes @straightforwardKiwi7811 @stressBear @strugglingtocope99 @stampy853 @StillSurvivingThriving @Sue1111 @Sue88 @sunnyplum5193 @SunnySpruce3523 @sunnyZebra2336 @Sunshine4691 @SunShineAlwaysGrateful @SusyKaploosy @SuzieQ1 @swammi01 @SweetSami @swim215 @swinston222 @swordpsalm @sympatheticCat267 @Tabbysflower @Tailormade1 @tanimaya @Tanq2u @Tawanda526 @tealCranberry7379 @tealDog6333 @tealPlace1858 @Teresa416 @terrig996 @TexasTabby @thecaringone @thoughtfulRaspberries8714 @ThreeFires @Tish1982 @Train1 @tranquilheart @Treat @Tri2BHappy @Trying5555 @turquoiseJar411 @twidget @twm @Tyedyedbutterfly @understandingSea8000  @Vadras @versatileHickory1709 @Vintagelung @VioletVeritas @Walker7957 @WalkingSoftly @WarmWool @waterdragon81 @weatherphoto @WharfRat @Whisper292 @whisperingfairy7 @whispersrlonely @whitewingeddove1107 @Wicket51 @willow3836 @wittyNest2941 @WonnderWoman @Woodlandwalk42 @wordnerd @worstpossibleusername @WorkingitThrough2 @worthystruggle @WrenegadeWen @Yashoda108 @xe14 @xinero @xrosez @Yashoda108 @yzzil @Yushix @youcancallmeLili @zaramerch @Zengrl @ZeeshanZahir    

60
User Profile: purpleTree4652
purpleTree4652 April 17th, 2025

@amiablePeace77

Very deep question, Ami.  I need mental space to think about it.  I'll be back.

1 reply
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 17th, 2025

@purpleTree4652

Looking forward to see you back purpleTree

load more
User Profile: LukeSkywalker8
LukeSkywalker8 April 17th, 2025

@amiablePeace77 Suffering come from struggling to find ways to deal with emotions

3 replies
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 17th, 2025

@LukeSkywalker8

So when we struggle with emotions we suffer. Do you believe that our minds contribute to a large extent to our suffering and how?

2 replies
User Profile: LukeSkywalker8
LukeSkywalker8 April 18th, 2025

Minds are difficult to define and quantify as everyone thinks differently. I believe if you learn a positive and constructive way to deal with emotions you mind will help you beneficially, on the other hand the mind may cause you to do destructive actions such as lash out or self harm to deal with the emotions.

1 reply
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 18th, 2025

@LukeSkywalker8

I believe so too, our minds react in a way they have been trained.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 April 18th, 2025

@amiablePeace77 nope! I think worrying really works, 97% of the things I worry about never happen😁😁😁

4 replies
User Profile: GiselleNyen
GiselleNyen April 18th, 2025

ð¥´ð¤£

1 reply
User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 April 18th, 2025

@GiselleNyen 😁😁😁💖

load more
load more
User Profile: WharfRat
WharfRat April 18th, 2025

Do you believe that our minds contribute to a large extent to our suffering? 

Can you explain why or why not? 

Yes, the negative thought patterns, the ruminative thinking, the overthinking, the intrusive thoughts, the dominating thoughts, make my life rotten.


2 replies
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 18th, 2025

@WharfRat

I agree, this can happen but thankfully we can "reshape" our minds with mindfulness to think more in a positive direction.

1 reply
User Profile: WharfRat
WharfRat April 19th, 2025

@amiablePeace77

Could you go into more detail about this, please?


load more
load more
User Profile: Lifer
Lifer April 18th, 2025

Yes, I believe that our minds contribute to our suffering. Guilt, sadness, anxiety are felt in our hearts but I believe that the message is sent from our brain.

1 reply
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 18th, 2025

@Lifer

Everything is connected and impacts each other. Taking care of our heart and mind can avoid much suffering in my opinion. 

load more
User Profile: Fradiga
Fradiga April 18th, 2025

@amiablePeace77

Yes, by and large, they do and this is true also for a lot of physical suffering. Some people are better at it than others, though.

I can't explain why. I should ask my faith healer and come back to this post...

Do you believe that our minds contribute to a large extent to our suffering? 

Can you explain why or why not? 

2 replies
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 18th, 2025

@Fradiga

When I was young, I let my mind cause me a lot of mental and physical suffering but with practicing mindfulness I could reduce it to a great extent.

1 reply
User Profile: Fradiga
Fradiga April 19th, 2025

@amiablePeace77

Actually, on second thought, the reverse is true as well. When you are sick, your mental state is also going to reflect it...


load more
load more
User Profile: lostman2608
lostman2608 April 18th, 2025

Absolutely. Our perceptions are our own reality. How serious you perceive something is based upon the sum of your past experiences. If we can perceive things that trouble us as a minor inconvenience, it would probably reduce anxiety. The big question is, how do we do this?

1 reply
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 18th, 2025

@lostman2608

I believe so too that "How serious you perceive something is based upon the sum of your past experiences". These experiences build the foundation of future perception/thinking. Processing such experiences, maybe with guided help, can lead to better outcomes in how we see the world and ourselves in future.

load more
User Profile: UniversalLuminescence
UniversalLuminescence April 18th, 2025

Yeah, I guess because our mind is the one who is making decision. You worry about things only when you care about it. Whatever happening is inside our mind only, if we can stop caring, then we will remain happy, but if we stop caring, we won't worry about the things we want to do. Because I guess there are only 2 ways to do things, either you are highly motivated or you worry about the things. So yeah if we care, our mind worries.

2 replies
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 18th, 2025

@UniversalLuminescence

Thank you for sharing this point with us! Something to think about more deeply. I wonder if we could exchange worrying to at least some extend with trusting. 

1 reply
User Profile: UniversalLuminescence
UniversalLuminescence April 19th, 2025

@amiablePeace77 yeah.

load more
load more
User Profile: moonlightinnight
moonlightinnight April 18th, 2025

@amiablePeace77

I think yes. I read sth like that what we see is not the exact truth, because the way we think of it, the way we imagine it is, affect our picture of truth. And our mind shapes the way we deal with everyday problems etc. As a probably highly sensitive person, my thoughts and feeling may be so different from a person with lower sensitivity, even if a similar thing happen for us. I may overthink about an event and suffer a lot from overthinking but another may not overthink. And I think as well, the environment shapes how we think, how our minds work. Like a cycle. If I had experienced a trauma, so, in a similar situation I would become so stressed but it may not be such stimulating for another person with no related traumas.

2 replies
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 18th, 2025

@moonlightinnight

No mind is the same! A highly sensitive person might naturally worry more than others and requires more self-care to stay balanced.

1 reply
User Profile: moonlightinnight
moonlightinnight April 18th, 2025

@amiablePeace77

That's right

load more
load more
User Profile: thoughtfulmomma
thoughtfulmomma April 18th, 2025

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Oh, and also, yes. Lol.

My mind contributes to most of my pain, anxiety, suffering, and worry. Because I can’t let things go and because my mind has to fill in the blanks that I don’t have. I can’t just accept the blanks and live and let live. I need to have answers. I need to fill in everything, and when I don’t have answers, I fill in with negative. Which I find interesting, actually. My brain never fills in with positive thoughts.

I’m not sure why that is. I’m not sure why it goes to the negative. I can’t believe that people are happy and enjoying life and winning. I always go to the negative, and that makes me suffer a lot more than I should.

1 reply
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 OP April 18th, 2025

@thoughtfulmomma

I hear you! Our minds do what they have been taught. Retraining them to think in a more positive way might not be easy, however, with consistent mindfulness practice it is possible. 

load more