Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Has anyone here actually succeeded in spending less time on screens? I really need some advice

User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 November 6th, 2025

Hello everyone,

Has anyone here actually succeeded in spending less time on screens? 

I’m asking because I’ve been trying for a long time, but I just can’t seem to make any progress. I feel like I’m stuck in this loop of screens, and it’s taking a toll on me.

It’s a bit easier when I’m around people, but when I’m alone, which is most of the time, it feels impossible. I can’t stay in silence with my anxiety, it becomes unbearable. I always need some kind of distraction. I think part of it is that I don’t feel comfortable where I live, and I can’t change that for now. Because of my mental health issues, I feel uncomfortable in most spaces anyway.

I also do a lot of multiscreening, phone, laptop, several apps at once. And with more apps existing now (for example chatgpt), I feel like the dependence keeps getting worse, even though these tools genuinely help me too. I’ve been on screens since I was very young, and honestly… it makes me feel ashamed. I don’t even know what else to do with my time, nothing feels meaningful to me anymore.

Even when I’m with people now, I end up on my phone. I can’t even focus on a show anymore, and I can’t concentrate on reading, my mind jumps straight back to my phone. Most of the time, I’m not even watching or looking at things that truly interest me, I just need noise, loud sounds to stop my brain from thinking. My phone makes me feel safe, but at the same time it’s taking so much of my time and energy. My daily screen time (just on my phone, not counting my computer) is usually around 10 hours.

I know this is hard for everyone, and that these things were designed to be addictive, but I also know that even people without mental health issues struggle. So I wonder, is it even possible for us to get better? The only thing that has helped a little is blocking or unfollowing a lot of content I was spending too much time on on social media. On YouTube, the don't recommend option also helps cut out useless content that just steals time.

I’m making a lot of efforts to take care of my mental health and to socialize more, but despite my efforts, it’s not really working.

A lot of advice I see online doesn’t work for me. I can’t just put my phone in a drawer because I rely on it for important health apps. And I get anxious thinking someone might call me and I won’t be able to answer. Things like timers or “don’t touch your phone for an hour” actually stress me out even more.

If anyone has gone through something similar and actually found a solution, I would really love to hear your experiences.
How did you manage it? What actually helped? What didn’t? Did you find strategies that were efficient enough not to increase anxiety?

Thank you so much if you’re willing to share x

— Whimsy Leafy

34
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean November 6th, 2025

@whimsyLeaf7957


Hi there~ 

Thank you for your post. I’m sure it was a challenging one. One that I’m very interested in seeing how others respond to, and what may have worked for them! 

But This is definitely a challenging & struggling topic for many.

The First thing I would have to ask you is “Do you work or Go to school” etc..?… The reason that I ask is because I feel the more time we have alone, or on our plate, that the more time many of us can spend delving into a world of technology (cell phone use or otherwise), just because there’s alot of “excess” time to do so? And perhaps there’s a “void” trying to be filled, If that makes sense? Which then can turn addictive for many…~ 

Do you feel or find that you have alot of time on your hands? That isn’t occupied by something healthier or more substantial, such as (Work, school, outside hobbies, interests & recreational time)? 

I have found for me personally, that when I have had more to do or more to occupy my time with, that the less time I personally spend on my phone. And that it only became an Afterthought (outside) of doing those more substantial things… Just a thought?! 💭 

Know that we are here to support you at 7Cups. And wish you the best on finding a personal solution that works best for you. And hopefully you’ll continue to get responses here on what has worked for others! 

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 7th, 2025

@PoliteOcean Hi, thank you very much for your reply! You’re right, I don’t at the moment, and I agree that spending a lot of time alone exacerbates this overuse of screens. I do have hobbies, but they don’t take up as much time as I would need. I’m working on finding a professional path, but it’s complicated.

Thank you very much for your kind words and support!

load more
User Profile: GoldenRuleJG
GoldenRuleJG November 6th, 2025

I find the below video helpful

https://youtu.be/dTysZmj5CX8?si=ElqyP7RrdnvtNjzo

For me what worked was keeping the most important priorities on my phone. Most of the time use my laptop for 7 cups work.

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 7th, 2025

@GoldenRuleJG Thank you very much for this video, it's very interesting. I already try to set myself daily goals, small concrete things to do, but it's still difficult and I usually have a screen running in the background. I think I should also try to do more interesting things on my phone/computer as you do

load more
User Profile: sociableBeing2398
sociableBeing2398 November 6th, 2025

Sure so what part do you wanna hear

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 7th, 2025

@sociableBeing2398 Everything you are willing to share with the community :)

load more
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 November 6th, 2025

@whimsyLeaf7957

 What does screen time do for you ?   ... is it fear of missing out or boredom?    Name your WHY to yourself and you can change it.    the "why" can be different for others. 

  I actually find myself on a screen more when around others who are glued on them... example in a public place waiting for something like an airport, waiting rooms etc       When I realized there is NOTHING, I really need to look at.  Instead, I am just wanting to not look like I have nothing going on. I no longer do it in those situations. 

So many seem to use phone as armor to put up something between yourself and real life.   people hide behind screens.  It says far more about them then you know          What if someone actually talked to us.  What if I had to engage a real thing    " oh the horror" 

When watching things, videos etc........ we are giving up our time, energy and thoughts to watch others actually do something and LIVE.         LIFE is a hands-on sport you decide when to bench yourself.    I guarantee no one when dying says " I wish I spent more time at work OR on screens watching others live." 

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 7th, 2025

@toughTiger6481 Thank you very much for your reply. I think I spend time on screen to create a noise louder than the one in my head. I agree that sometimes when I'm in public and waiting, I go on my phone so I don't look ‘stupid’ or like I have nothing to do, I had never thought about that... 

It's true that it's a form of armour, and that unfortunately we waste our time, it really hurts my heart and even though I know that, it's still very difficult

load more
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 7th, 2025

Ideas/ approaches I’ve identified so far:

  • Find activities that take up a lot of time.

  • Try to address the real reasons behind using screens as an escape.

  • Watch content that creates less “dopamine spikes” (no scrolling, short videos, accelerated videos, notifications).

  • Try to use screens more consciously (asking yourself: what am I doing/ what do I want to do/ what do I need to do).

  • Do more exercise, practice mindfulness, and engage in activities that require concentration, so your mind isn’t wandering.

  • Try starting by reducing screen time at moments when it’s easiest (for me, for example, in the evening, replacing screen time with going to bed earlier, or when I’m surrounded by people or other distractions).

    I also note that so far I haven’t found anyone who has found a solution to this problem, and I find that quite worrying...

2 replies
User Profile: VentFreely
VentFreely November 16th, 2025

have you tried a feature called "Bedtime mode" (maybe your phone doesnt have the feature but it basically turns your entire phone screen black and white and gray). Please try searching for an app that turns your phone on grayscale. I tried this and the stimulation was lesser.

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 29th, 2025

@VentFreely I haven't, thank you!

load more
load more
User Profile: gidano
gidano November 7th, 2025

I wish i could save the post idk how this app works. I struggle too, i cant bear the loneliness

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 8th, 2025

@gidano At the bottom left, you can click to subscribe to the thread. Or you can connect to a browser on your phone or computer and bookmark the post.

I am sorry that you are suffering from loneliness <3

load more
User Profile: sunnyFig7193
sunnyFig7193 November 7th, 2025

Thanks for making this post! I can relate a lot and am very interested in the responses, I think I will try some of them :)

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 8th, 2025

@sunnyFig7193 Thank you for your comment, I hope it helps you too! Feel free to share your experience

load more
User Profile: sadcat13
sadcat13 November 10th, 2025

@whimsyLeaf7957 hey there, quite an addict multi screener here too


You seem to describe a lot of discomfort and use of screens as coping mechanisms to regulate your anxiety. So my best bet on your case is:

  • increase physical comfort - take a warm bath, go to the gym or stretch at home, although I found kicking myself out is much more effective, take off that uncomfortable sock, make some tea etc. We often regulate from body up, not head down, so these may help lower your anxiety at the moment at least a little 


  • Assess the causes behind your anxiety and other feelings. Is there anything you can change/address/reschedule? Can you do something about the reasons behind your feelings? Can you make yourself more safe and comfortable? Can you do some journaling to address your thoughts and feelings when they are too much? What worked for me is doing a 2 step journaling session. I braindump everything that is on my mind, that is making me anxious etc. In the first part under each other, then go through each point individually in a what now part, where I either think it through deeply, validate and address my feelings, process things or work out a solution for the problem. This helps easing the "pointless" anxiety (aka the sun will swallow the earth in a few billion of years) and give you actions and comfort with the "reasonable" one (the phone call you have to make, the thoughts that haunt you etc)


  • Stop looking at your screen fight like all or nothing - celebrate every little victory you made. You read half a page before checking your phone? Amazing. You spent 30 mins listening to your friend? Lovely. You had only 9 hours of screen time instead of 10? That's amazing. Start looking at your recovery with "a small imperfect step is better than perfection for 2 days then no step at all mindset". Approach yourself with the same compassion you would give to a friend and let go of strict expectations of all or nothing or linear improvement.


  • Some days, you will need to use all the screens you have, and that's okay, as long as you are trying. Your mind is coping with something it deems too overwhelming to deal with. That's okay, and we all need a break sometimes


  • Don't cut out all at once if it's too hard. I personally love to do something while listening to an audiobook. So take a colouring book, knitting needles, a model plane or hit the kitchen with a banana bread recipe and pop an audiobook on. The audio will last for hours without the need to switch and make constant decisions like with music, but will also anchor you to the manual task at hand, making it less likely you will stop after 5 mins. I personally love to pop in some Darcy Coates when I embroider, but make sure to not pick a very think-y task, because the audio will just overwhelm you. So pick something low brain capacity where sound isn't a problem.


  • Put your phone on silent, except your medical alerts/alarms if possible. As someone who haven't had their phone off the silent mode for ages, absolutely nothing happened. The world is spinning and I'm not woken up from my nap by someone trying to sell me a better phone plan. On silent mode, calls will still come through, your phone just won't ring. Then you can call the people back later if you want. But genuinely, unless you have to have sound on for an urgent or important reason, screw that. You can put sound on during business hours or when expecting a call, but otherwise no sound. It will give you back some sense of control over your time


  • And last but not least, don't forget that we are all different. Some things may not work for you at all, others results may not show up immediately and need a bit of longer term use to be effective, or some will work only for a while before not working for you anymore. That's okay. If you have an idea you think could work, try it. Don't be afraid to carve your own healthy coping toolkit. If it's juggling milk cartoons on the porch, then so be it, even if you didn't see anyone else use the strategy before. Take it one step at a time, and you will find something eventually 😊

These are the things that work for me, hope you find something interesting in it 😊

2 replies
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 14th, 2025

@sadcat13 Thank you so much for all this! It's really helpful. I'll try to follow your recommendations and post an update hereto let you know whether I've made any progress

1 reply
User Profile: sadcat13
sadcat13 November 14th, 2025

@whimsyLeaf7957 good luck to you 😊

load more
load more
User Profile: VentFreely
VentFreely November 16th, 2025

I wake up maybe around 10am (sometimes earlier or more often) and then sleep at around maybe 11-12pm?

so that would be... a lot of hours...

I tried cutting back on screen time but yeah my mind isnt in a good pace without something distracting me. I think I have ADHD because I need my phone and tablet for dopamine to get tasks done, but recently it is a rule for me not to use gadgets while eating. Our preacher talked about computer addicted but he was talking about gadget addiction in general so it was helpful for me to assess that I was addicted.

To be honest I have given up trying to cut back my screen time and instead avoid certain content that won't help me learn like brian rot. When I am on my phone or tablet I usulaly just youtube videos that are related to what I am learning like making art. It has to be educational but sometimes I allow non-educational stuff

What is to be avoided the most is short form content like youtube shorts, facebooks reels *** videos, or something similar because they MESS UP my attention span. Thanks be to the Lord I can watch long form content again ❤️ I still watch youtube shorts but like I know when my brain craves it and I give it what it wants then realize I spent too much time watching short form content then I stop usually

I have responsibilities like making art so I watch content related to making art. That way, I get screen time, I get educated, and I improve my art.

Maybe you can pick up a hobby or learn a language and pair that with your screen time.

There are also devices online that lock your phone in a box with a timer idk if it is available in your country however

there can be apps that force you to leave your gadget alone like the Off the Grid app where I set a timer how long it should stay locked and I would have to pay money to unlock it.

I grew up watching TV and watching lets plays on youtube as a kid so my childhood was in front of ascreen watching tom and jerry and pewdiepie

Just dont pressure yurself too much to only do one thing. Your brain can have mental cravings it can crave different stimulations.

For me it craves seeing other people's faces that is why I watch videos I can see people's faces and plus I wanna watch educational content so I watch those too.

You can use your screen addiction for something better :D there is hope

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 29th, 2025

@VentFreely Thank you very much!

load more
User Profile: AiluraTheCat
AiluraTheCat November 22nd, 2025

@whimayLeaf7957

GOD!!! you spoke exactly what I'm doing 😭 I can't stop myself from screen time 😔 I can't help myself 😭

Help meee 😭 PLEASE 😭 I'm suffering!!

1 reply
User Profile: whimsyLeaf7957
whimsyLeaf7957 OP November 29th, 2025

@Ailuraphilelove8tear9 I hope the other responses in the comments can help you!

load more