How to trust someone again who has consistently lied?

Hisham Tawfik, M.S.W.

Counseling and psychological services are my passion more than my work, It is all about love, and love is the only real value.

art4life
when a person lies consistently then there are'nt many reason to trust him again, for your own benefit
Anonymous
It's very difficult to trust someone like this, but only trust can make other person believe in you and share his/her problems . A good relationship always require trust, but trusting someone with such past must be very calculated and should be interrogated in every now and then.
Anonymous
Actually, I don't. When I learn that someone has consistently lied, I find it impossible to trust that person completely. In fact, I never believe a word they say again. I don't drop that person as a friend; I just verify anything that's important to me.
Freedom4UrSouL
If someone is consistently being untruthful and they are a part of your most of your life, than we must find out the "why" Why do they feel the need to lie? Something must be causing this effect. Also, explaining the consequences if this person chooses to continue misleading people. Like, the bridges that will burn and not allow this person to cross anymore. Asking this person how they feel when someone doesn't believe something they've said to be true. Then taking that and multiplying it by everyone. This is what the future holds for that person if they continue their deceiving ways. OK so first, finding out the "Why". Secondly, explaining what the consequences of their actions could lead to. Thirdly, wait.... ...to see if any enlightenment happened and if so, slowly bringing in the trust. TRUST, so hard to gain, so easy to lose. B-Blessed & Safe
Anonymous
That is really a tough one because a consistent liar is one who is likely to continue to lie. I think the best way, if they are working toward becoming trustworthy, is to take what they say as possibly a lie. Don't hang your hope on it being true until you notice the pattern changing. Consistent liars CAN change and you CAN eventually trust them, but protecting yourself and not putting complete trust in them is the best thing for you. Holding them accountable when you do see they've lied, but in the gentlest way possible, is the best for them. But if you aren't sure that someone is even trying to change their pattern of lying? You probably should not trust them.
Aimiichuu
It's very hard to build up trust again, but if you truly believe that the person deserves another chance. I would give it.
Mares1984
To gain another's trust takes trust building. This takes a lot of patience and love and possibly distance depending on the person.
secretpiano990
trust is not something you give but it is gained by others, i would give a chance. love is a rondom act of kindness
charmingUnicorns82
The person has really shown regret over their actions and is open to change. It might be a difficult path to trusting again and you feel like that person has had enough chances. If the change is genuine trust again but also be open to others opinions because sometimes they might see what you don't.
Anonymous
Have faith. Just because they've lied before, does not mean they don't want to change. Imagine being in their perspective. Give them one more chance. A last chance, if you like.
SweetBabyRayGatsby
Its hard to trust them, start with small things and work your way up. Sometimes babysteps are more effective than long strides.
Anonymous
This is a tough one! Sometimes you just got to give it time and see if they can prove to themselves and to you that they have what it takes to stop the cycle of lying!
Anonymous
A person could possible slowly gain their trust again through talking and more time with one another.
Anonymous
Regaining trust for someone can be very difficult when they have consistently lied. Talking to the person about this and telling them how it makes you feel may be the first step to sorting out this situation and if you feel that the person has stopped lying, your trust for them may gradually build up again.
RealEmpathy
You have every right not to let someone who has consistently lied back into your circle of trust until you are ready, if ever. You own the keys to your heart and it's up to you who you let in.
NanaAthene
I don't think you can ever FULLY trust anyone who continually lies. I honestly think that's impossible. It's like the boy who cried wolf. When you lie over and over and over again, it's get hard for anyone to tell what's true and not. My best bet is to not even associate with someone who lies continually. Unless they actually do show that they've changed and there's solid proof.
Effiana
Many people have lied to me in my life. Some more then others. It takes a lot of hard work but time and trust building exercises are what works best for me to forgive.
higherliving
We often find ourselves more trustworthy in situations where we are offered greater trust. Trusting someone is a reflection of our own trustworthiness, and does not necessarily reflect on their specific track record. We must make an active and conscious decision to trust in order to remove our own personal stress, rather than based on the acts of others.
Anonymous
well at the long run if you keep trusting someone even though that person carries on lying, that person deep down knows that they can trust you and eventually they will trust you, thus you trusting them.
Anonymous
All to do is forgive and forget. That way you have the higher morale ground. It feels bad but he loses out
Anonymous
With great difficulty. Trust cannot be bought or just give, it is earned. I advise to try to move on
Anonymous
November 22nd, 2015 11:54am
I don't think that you should try to trust this person. You may get hurt if you trust them because they could be lying to you the entire time you talk to them.
oliviablue5
Trusting someone who has lied to you can be difficult- I can understand your hesitancy. What do you feel about it?
mrmodonnell93
for me,I am a very trusting person, so lying doesn't settle with me, but it would depend on the situation i was in, whether they have a legitimate reason to lie. I know, the answer it not to shut them out, as it's likely that they will too eventually stop caring to make the effort. As much as it hurts for me, I do remain on my guard but know that the trust will come back in time. Time is the best healer
CLAYhere4you
Trusting someone is not a given you must earn trust in order to be connected to that person.And if you have trusted that person and they break that trust it puts you and them in a difficult situation because to care for someone and have friendship there has to be boundaries and one of the most important boundaries is trust.When that boundary is broken it is hard to build it back up.Trust is like a house you must build a house in order to live in it right well when you have mutual trust its like living in the house but when you become dishonest now the house has been burned you now must rebuild the house again but it takes time to build it back up again.The most important thing to remember is know matter what be yourself and if you are put in a situation were you might feel you are being lied to its ok not to trust them right away it takes time and understanding. (I hope I was helpful and thanks for reading)😀
moabher
No one is sinless , we all angels no body make no mistakes we have first to learn hot to forgive , how be telorent persons , remember how many timesu made mistake and how many persons forgive u before u need to remember that person good things
maddyk001
take it step by step. Take baby steps, and see if you can trust them with the little things. its not always easy, but it will work itself out.
Jerome28
I believe there's something to trust in everyone, even if I have to trace my way to the core of the individual. Surface influences sway individuals to act in dysfunctional or even neurotic ways. I may not be able to trust someone to tell the truth or be reliable, but I can trust in the individual at the root of their being.
Anonymous
How can I trust someone again?.. based on my experience *as I trust everyone easily* I always make some challenging questions/ fake but challenging situations for them to answer/do. Once I saw them do the same thing like they always did, I won't trust that person that much anymore. but when I saw something new and satisfying I will trust them like how I did
Anonymous
December 3rd, 2015 9:05am
Start out slowly and make them Gain your trust back,be careful for yourself also trusts easy to loose hard to gain but just ease your trust in and you should be fine.