How do I pinpoint where my anxiety stems from? I feel like it is so random.

Jill Kapil, PsyD

I have experience working in University College counseling centers, and am passionate about working with young adults. My work with clients is collaborative and supportive.

JDust
Create a system with which you can document instances which make you anxious. Try writing down the different triggers/precursors which occurred before your anxiety spiked. When looking back on this list, you can try and identify common triggers, such as social situations, loud noises, new experiences, etc. From there, you can unpack what might be the origin of the anxiety as it relates to these situations. If there is no discernible pattern, it is likely that you may be experiencing Generalized Anxiety.
LadyMeow
Learning your anxiety triggers can help you cope more effectively with anxiety. Every person with anxiety has different triggers, so it’s important to know what specific things make you feel anxious. Recognizing your triggers can help you make a choice in how to respond rather than simply reacting, and is an important first step to handling anxiety. Identify major life stressors. Anxiety can come on as a result of life stressors or life changes. Some common triggers include work stress or job changes (including loss of employment), pregnancy or giving birth, violence, trauma, or abuse, or the death of a loved one. Think about any life stressors you’ve encountered and how they affect or trigger your anxiety. Reflect on past experiences. Sometimes anxiety can occur as a result of a scary or traumatic experience. Your anxiety triggers may result from associations you have with a past negative experience. Think about any bad experiences you’ve had and how they have affected you. Think about what immediately preceded your symptoms. When you notice physical symptoms of anxiety, stop and remember what you were thinking, feeling, or doing right before. The same is true of recognizing emotional symptoms of anxiety. What thoughts or situations occurred right before the anxiety reached your awareness? Did you just get off the phone after a difficult conversation? Did you have a difficult commute to work? Were you feeling frustrated about something? By looking back to what happened right before the physical or emotional symptom, you can start to trace your triggers.
wonderfulPower28
I always ask myself when do I get anxiety. Where am I? Who am I with and what is happening around me? If you see a pattern you can see where the anxiety comes from. For me, it was when people got disappointed in me or I did not fulfill expectations. I just felt like a big failure and my heart started racing and all these thoughts just run through my mind and I could not escape it. I had a lot of headaches around that time because my mind was always overworking every thought of what I was thinking and what other people might think.