I have trouble with my school work due to procrastinating. And my anxiety always gets in the way. How do I get things done?

Ken Thom, LPC

I believe that emotional dys-regulation is the underlying cause of all mental health challenges. I help people regulate their emotions and then begin their healing journey

BalancED
I've had success using timers in the past. When working through anxiety around tests or assignments, I'd set a timer for 5 minutes and try to keep myself in a distraction-free area to get the work done. Then after 5 minutes I got to choose whether I set the timer for another 5 minutes or took a 5 minute break. This trick helped me get through University!
NumberEleven
Start small, and realistic. Set out your goal for yourself that is reasonable, the key point to school work is consistency rather than bursts of motivation and procrastination in an alternating cycle. After setting out your goals, maybe you'd like to discuss it with someone, maybe a teacher or a friend who can guide you towards making better goals or checking if your current ones are reasonable. After that you can start planning, try not to squeeze so much stuff into a day and take breaks when you feel like you need it, in case you risk burning out.
Anonymous
Give yourself some time which you can work, but also time where you can reward yourself afterwards. Set targets for yourself so you don't slack off and then reward yourself by watching your favourite show or playing your favourite game :)
Sparklies
From personal experience, I have found that having a tidy, distraction free work environment helps a lot! If it's homework, I have found that putting 30 minutes aside to disconnect from devices and distractions really helps! If you are getting anxious while doing school work, perhaps it would be a good idea to take small breaks every now and then to do some breathing exercises so that you can return to your work with a clearer mind :)
Skira
Finding the reasons behind procrastination is the first step, maybe you feel like there isn't any support for failure in academics, maybe you feel disinterested on what you study, or perhaps you feel way more interested in something else and that gets all your attention. Find the why behind your studies, your own personal statement about studying. Hope it helps :D
SMStar
I think it is important to talk about it, because there are actually more students than you would expect who feel - at least from time to time - the same way. Being a student myself, I've also been facing the exact same feelings that you've all just described: I felt paralyzed, I couldn't find some rest and I hated to feel that way. It still happens to me from time to time and I feel really anxious about school and about my future, but for me it was a huge relief when I first started to talk about it, because it made me realize that there are many other people who are experiencing the same thing.
Itsokae13
Always find a way to make things fun. Asking about school work ahead of time may help with anxiety.
Anonymous
The best way for me to get things done is to sit down in an environment where I know that I'm going to be left alone and have no distractions, and really just get to work. If I have to turn off my phone, I do it. If I have to listen to music, I do it. Whatever it takes to get me focused and relaxed. In your situation it may help for you to listen to relaxing tracks like rainfall or just background noise. Don't give yourself the ability to turn on the tv or pick up your phone, just remove absolutely all distractions.
braveCandy25
I always create a checklist when doing work. This allows me to check off every assignment as i complete them and feel more confident in completing me work and that I'm really making an impact in my work load!
Tazzie
You could assign a personal deadline for yourself and use a reward system that will motivate you to do the work you need to do. For example, once you've finished writing a 2 page paper for your English class by or before your personal deadline, you could put a check next to it and reward yourself by eating something you enjoy or listen to your favorite song and dance to it. The rewards don't necessarily have to be big!
airreeekuh
I can definitely relate to this! What gets me motivated and going is remembering how my parents are thinking of me highly and how much they sacrificed for me just to get a better education which is why I don't have to take it for granted and show my appreciation to them by working hard.
sweetTime36
Prefer making a schedule. It wont always work because procrastination but eventually it would lead to atleast half of the work being done and you will immediately feel the progress. Talking to your self regarding this and discussing it with you yourself rather than actually writing it down is more preferred as nobody knows your capacity to learn more than you yourself.
IrisO
You're not alone! I continue to a struggle with this every day, and here are three tips: 1) Break your work into tiny chunks or tasks so they are more manageable. That way you also feel good checking them off as you complete them, and you build momentum. 2) Remind yourself that you don't have to want to do something in order to start doing it. Getting out of bed each morning is my biggest accomplishment. Like exercising or forcing yourself to be social, once you start its not as bad as you were dreading. This is where having a tiny task to start with helps. 3) Allot time in your schedule to procrastinate. Whether it's one game of Candy Crush after a mini-task, or 15 minutes before you drive into a bigger task, accept that procrastination is part of your life. Better yet, instead of mindless screentime, use your procrastination time for self care, whether it's giving yourself a head massage, saying mantras, or writing in a gratitude journal.
Anonymous
I'm dyslexic, school was always a challenge for me. Either I was bored to death or totally lost. So let me ask you a couple of questions. Do you have a calendar or diary where you write your assignments? Do you sit down to try to do your work all at one time or do you take breaks? Taking breaks to do a quick guided relaxation video would really help, I know it helps me when I'm working while having anxiety. Would you like the link to some of my favorite organization resources? Would you like to have the links to some of the videos I use?
Anonymous
since this is how i got through my school year, I had tried my work and I would panic about it not being like anyone else and such, but most of the time i got an A. All you need to do is try to focus, I would work during classes i had free time for kind of a slight chance that if i got distracted or bored i would have a teacher to maybe tell me to get back to work. If you don't have that, do something like that with a friend, if they aren't physically there, skype them or call them so you can get that slight motivation.
Mokie
The best way I have found to deal with this is to make a timetable of what work is due and when. I make a list of what needs to be done for each assignment and give myself plenty of time to get my work done so that I don't stress myself out with approaching deadlines. If I plan well in advance, I can leave room for things that may crop up by surprise and still have time to get things done. I also find it helps to have a study buddy that can encourage us along the way whenever we feel that we get stuck.
SlowReader55
As much as I wish there was an answer to this, as far as I know, there isn't one. The only answer I've found to truly overcome anxiety for a short time is to get half way to the place you're going with a smile on your face, ask yourself the questions that were stopping you from leaving your room in the first place once you're there, if your answers remain the same, go anyway, if your answers change, still go. Missing out on life because of anxiety is a difficult thing to have to deal with. But if you don't go, then you won't know, plus if you're already halfway there, you may as well keep going.
Anonymous
you are felling anxious about your work and increasing worries.you can to stop procrastination by following motto "start small,do it now,don't think just do".
ThaliaRaven
In this case, it would be great for you to reach help to some psychologist who can talk to you more about your problem and sure find a way to solve it.
breathealine
I too struggle with anxiety, and it can be difficult to overcome that in a school or work setting. A strategy that I have always enjoyed is a planner, organizing events, due dates, and other things into one place. It is a nice way to make lists and set aside time for yourself too.
Anonymous
I always find that smaller chunks of work are more manageable so perhaps you could split up your work into smaller pieces. Also listening to music can sometimes make working less tedious. The best method I have ever used is a reward system. I would give myself a chocolate or allow myself to watch an episode of my favourite show after i had done say a page of my work or answered a certain number of questions
Anonymous
Instead of procrastinating and cramming before the deadline (which itself only increases the stress, exacerbating the anxiety you feel), try breaking your school work down into smaller chunks. If you can create piecemeal tasks of 20-30 minutes, for example; and pick away at those between the date an assignment is given and the date it is due, you may that most of the work you'd normally procrastinate and worry about is completed with plenty of time to spare. A dozen half-hour sessions sprinkled over two weeks is a heck of a lot more manageable than a 6-hour sprint the night before.
Anonymous
Setting a planned schedule and sticking to it always helps me. For example, allow yourself an hour to relax after school with a snack and TV and then figure out what subject you want to tackle first. Give yourself a 10 minute break every 90 minutes to work the most effectively :)
Suiginy
Set a time everyday that you need to do all of your schoolwork. Try meditating if you get anxiety for at least 5 minutes everyday.
Anonymous
Trying to get things done whilst also having to worry about anxiety is a very hard job, and one that can seem impossible at times. From my experiences - I've sat down, with my favourite music band, earphones plugged in, and I let music do the work for me. An hour or two multi tasking (doing the school work, and listening to your music) can really bring about effects. And it doesn't matter if you haven't done much - it's okay. You've done something, at least. That's more than you would have done.
nurseyoubacktohealth18
Try and take a deep breath and write down all of the things that are causing you anxiety. once you can simplify these issues, try and focus on work for a hour at a time with regular breaks to relax the mind. meditation daily also helps.
ChapterNate
The easiest way to get things done in regards to school work is to plan what you're doing, and start early. Don't wait until the night before your exam to study, study throughout the school year to reinforce the material and avoid cramming. Make a study plan (you can find help for this online) and try to stick to it. Even if it's just one hour a week. It also helps to hsve interactive study methods instead of just reading from a book. Highlighting, making mindmaps, doing worksheets, and creating silly or creative rhymes;scenes;or images are all example of this,
colorfulrain42
It can be very helpful to set little goals for yourself, and break big intimidating tasks into smaller pieces! This way you don't get behind, and you get to feel like you're making a lot of progress.
Anonymous
Meditate or relax before doing a big assignment and give yourself a week, before the project is due.
ListeningBunny22
It's known that people who procastinate are masked behind hardworkers, all you need to do is once you get it done late just be confident about it, and try to be yourself and organize things earlier don't procastinate. It should be listed in your daily mantra.