Is it hard to think critically about something you love?

Romania

Maria Anisia Dascalescu Cocan, Ma

Therapy slogan : confidentiality, respect and professionalism!

Aryore
It depends on the "something". I do think it can be hard sometimes, as really thinking critically on something you love may uncover some flaws or other issues you don't really want to think about. But I think it's good, because once you come to terms with those issues you may either realise that the something is not for you, or you will be able to love it even more and with a more holistic view of it :)
Anonymous
Yes it is hard to think critically about something I love because they are my loved ones and deeply care about them
glowingTouch43
Yes, sometimes we don't want to think much about whom we love or what we love. Maybe we are so used to to that person or thing that we tend to become blind and not even consider thinking about it.
Anonymous
Yes but it's not impossible. You can recognize you enjoy something and and still think it's problematic. You can condemn criminals without losing track of things which deserve our sympathy. It's not contradictory to feel like you love something or someone despite of the person who they are or your opinion of them. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that if you can't think critically about something or someone, you don't really love them and have just impressed some sort of ideal into them. Love isn't about delusion or thinking something is great and perfect. Love is about recognizing and appreciating things as they are, but knowing how you feel all the same.
PurpleGoddess
It really just depends on the two people that are involved. You think critically if you are trying to do something good or help them and they need to take the advice.
introvertedwolf
It depends on how much you love it. But you should always think critically, because YOU love that something and it's really up to you why. Covering the one that you love and making them look as if they have no flaws or anything will only harm you later in your life, you will find it in your way. Logic is something we usually take for granted, and no matter how hard we find it sometimes to use it, like as in an emotionally stressing situation, we still have to use it. It opens our eyes.
Anonymous
Definitely. When we love, we love with our whole heart and personality, and it is hard to not idealize it. However, admitting that the thing we love has its flaws is crucial in developing healthy, critical relationship.
NumberEleven
If you think objectively and rationally rather than emotionally, yes it is possible and not very difficult to assess something you love.
Anonymous
No, it is not. I'm task-oriented, so, I'm used to just getting things done, I push away any awkwardness or discomfort, and finish thinking.
HopieRemi
Sometimes. When you love something, you're more often than not quite bias. It's hard to see beyond the rose-tinted glasses. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing. But yes, to answer your questin, it's not easy to think critically about something you love.
CarefreeSoul
I believe it is hard to think critically about things you love because your opinion of it influences the value it has to you. A second opinion may help you in a situation like this as the 3rd party may have a neural ground.
Anonymous
If you are insanely, blindly passionate about something - chances are you won't be able to be critical, you'll always have a bit of a biased point of view. But in time, when this rush fades and you start to genuinely love something, I think it's easier to be a bit more critical and finally honest with the low points of what you enjoy.
IrishLauren
It depends on you as a person. I as a perfectionist, criticise everything that means a lot to me. It also depends on your character as a person.
Anonymous
Yeah, it is. If you love someone or something you're biased, you'll think about the positive aspects more. that's where the opinions of others might be helpful to hear.
RhinocerosWings
Absolutely! But it's also important that you learn to do it. I'll give you an example. Let's say when you were growing up, your parents had super high expectations of you. Straight A's in school, plus extracurriculars, plus sports, plus volunteer work. And you just couldn't do it. Nobody could! They let their disappointment show, loud and clear, because you hadn't met their expectations. Here's where the critical thinking comes in. You love your parents. With all your heart. But they're wrong. Their expectations are just too darn high. But if you can't think critically and see that, you're going to feel "less than" because you didn't meet the unrealistic demands your parents put on you.
Melody293
It often can be difficult to think critically about someone you love, You tend to want to care for every bit of them, and your love can blind you to any faults.
rachtale
You have to think honestly, it can be hard at first but then you start to realise the flaws we all have as human beings.
Anonymous
Yes AND no. If you love something you may be critical of it as you want the best for it and you're critical to find weaknesses to create the best version of that thing. You might be critical because you're not ready for love. On the other hand, if you love something you wouldn't be critical about it as you are so in love with it that you see no faults.
Anonymous
Yes, when you love something you tend to focus on the good parts only. This is why it's always important to have a trusted friend or family member evaluate the situation also and offer their opinions. You shouldn't automatically do what they say, but it's important to be open minded and consider their opinions.
PineapplePanduh
Sometimes passion gets the best of us and all we see is the good or the bad. It's one extreme or the other. For myself and depending on what it is I'm thinking about, I can critically and objectively assess what it is I love. If it is my art (drawing or writing), it'd take some time to look passed the flaws since I'd always be fixing something. I eventually come to accept that what I create won't be as I see it in my mind. So, yes, it is difficult to think about something I love critically. However, I do what I can with what I have.
Anonymous
Yes it's hard sometimes because If you keep remembering the person you love and you'll get more depressed by that.
Anonymous
It can be hard to think critically about something you love if you are not accepting to other's opinions. You can still admit it has flaws and still love it. I don't think someone else's opinion should affect what you think about a certain thing or person though. if you love it take pride in it.
maddy0908
I believe it is, yes. However, I think it is important to try to see the negative side of things sometimes, as the mist of love can make things that are bad for you seem perfectly acceptable.
sweetLove96
Sometimes it can be very hard to look objectively at something you care about. You might even feel like you're being personally attacked when someone says something critical about the thing you love. But I think people should realize that everyone has different tastes and not everyone will love the same things you do. If someone says something critical about something you love. it's not a personal attack on you. Just a difference of opinion.
Other
It is. Our eyes are always colored, we see through multiple filters. We are more likely to think positivly about things and people we love.
michelle2000
No, not really. I guess it depends how much you love it though. But for most things, they have pros and cons, it's just that the pros outweigh the cons.
Anonymous
This is an interesting question also. It is hard to think critically about something you love because it is hard to imagine releasing this.
RaCat
Yeah, usually it is hard because when you love someone you are idolizing them. You are angry if someone says something bad about them and you can't see any bad thing at them, you seem them as perfect, but it is not right.
Jadhar
Yes, We like to believe that our judgement is clear regarding those close to us, but frequently it is all too easy to opt to be blind to their traits.
Anonymous
I do believe it is. Love makes you irrational, which isn't a bad thing. But I think that if you genuinely love something, you'll make an effort to look at it through a realistic lens as well.