What is the best way to stop a panic attack?

Andrea McDonald, MSW, LICSW

It is important to know that you are not alone, life can be difficult I am here to help you navigate and resolve issues that can feel overwhelming.

GabrielGerard
The "best" way will vary from person to person, so try different techniques and see which ones fit best with you. One technique is to remove yourself to a place or situation that is more calming (e.g. pull to the side of the road, exit the crowded room, walk outside if possible) and engage in some deep breathing exercises (8 counts in through your mouth, 8 counts out through your nose). Mentally and/or verbally acknowledge what is happening ("I am having a panic attack."), speak a reassuring mantra (e.g. "I am safe/I will be ok/I can get through this."), and then wait for the wave of panic to pass. A good way to stop a panic attack is to be prepared for it in the first place, so be sure to practice your deep breathing and choose a mantra ahead of time; that way, it will be familiar and on-hand when you need it most.
DreamTeamBreHanna
March 2nd, 2015 11:10am
Breath sometimes we forget to breath and use coping skills. Understand the reason why you are having a panic attack
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2015 4:02am
In truth, it varies from person to person. My recommendation is to treat the immediate hyperventilation first. This involves cupping your hands and loosely placing them over your mouth; not so that you can't breathe, but in such a way that you're inhaling the same air that you're exhaling. This will help to balance the acidity of your blood, and may reduce the symptoms of your panic attack.
JustMiki
I found that one of the best ways to stop a panic attack is to control ones breathing and bring it down to a normal rate. Another thing that helps is focusing on surroundings and slowering down the thought process in order to enable logical thinking to transpire.
Youniq
By not trying to stop a panic attack and living happily with it. You can run in circles of the fear, or break the circle and live your life you desire.
MrsBrownEyes
Do you have a favorite perfume? Keep it with you everywhere you go and when you feel anxious, just take a sniff! It will calm you down.
Anonymous
Everyone is different. For me changing my surroundings or placing a weighted blanked on myself helps. Try new things everytime and see if any one helps. Also google weighted blankets! theyre a real life saver.
letmehhelpya
Focus on your breathing and take your mind off of whatever is making you panic. That usually works for me. But if not, try to get someone you trust that you can talk to about it or connect with a listener on 7 Cups of Tea!
PeaceForYou
Breathe. That's one of the best things we can do, breathe in through your nose and from your stomach rather than chest, hold and then breathe out through your mouth. This helps us to not hyperventilate. Sipping cold water can also help. Just remember, it will stop.
Anonymous
Take deep breaths. Think about things that make you happy, or make you smile. Lie down somewhere and listen to your favourite music. Find someone you trust, like a parent, a best friend, a sibling, and tell them how you feel and just chat.
ElectricMermaid
The best way to get through a panic attack is to practice deep breathing and giving yourself positive self talk. For example, if you are panicking over a test, keep telling yourself "I can do this! I'll make it through today!" And if you haven't seen a counselor for this, be sure to seek professional counseling and talk to your doctor about possible medications. They help a LOT! :)
Kat66
Relax. Take deep breathes and calm your nerves Forget all the stresses and worries of the world you will do just fine don't worry:)
LatteLove
For me I get into the air, take a few deep breaths and then I do a quick meditation it helps me clear my mind and stay centered
Spreest
There is several ways to stop panic attacks. One of the most common ones is diaphragmic breathing. What also helps, would be ASMR. Chewing gum will help you calm down, as it convinces your brain that you are eating, so you can't be in danger.
purplemountain
I have suffered with panic attacks. It make you feel scared and frightened. Remember lots of deep breaths. Count really slowly up to 10 in your head still taking deep breaths and you will find the panic has passed.
Anonymous
Grounding (focusing on your 5 senses, Sight, smell, touch, taste, hearing.) Counting to 10 and telling yourself that if you can make it through 10 seconds, you can do it again together with deep breaths and counter anxiety thinking eg.. I'm going to die this is going to end this is terrible as compared to, i'm not going to die, i might feel like i am but i know that i'll be okay once this feeling passes. If not, I will brainstorm ways and talk to people who care about me about this.
keepfighting22Lexi
Put your hands up above your head. Acknowledge the panic attack. Seek the cause of it and try some grounding techniques.
Anonymous
Stop everything you are doing and sit on the ground. Breathe in slowly. Hold your breath for a few seconds. Breathe out slowly. And again : breathe in, hold, breathe out. And again. When you begin to feel better, ask for help around you. Try to find a calm and quiet spot where you can rest for a bit. Eat something, drink some water.
TacoSoup
Breathe deep. Think of the things that make you safe. Let your mind wander to a different subject and explore a completely different element.
ListeningJeff
Panic attacks seem to be composed of two main factors for me: sensitivity to stimulus and time. So, it's critical for me to address both of these components when trying to stop a panic attack. Often the panic is induced by some external factor (like a deadline, a threatening person, etc.) that is being allowed to carry far too much influence in my mind. While it's easier said than done, identifying that external factor and putting some distance between us is the best way to stop the attack. Meanwhile, time becomes distorted for me during a panic attack. It seems to move faster or slower depending on the situation which seems to multiply the fear and dread of the attack, so keeping a watch with a second hand on it helps me. I focus on the steady ticking of the clock to bring myself back to normal speed.
beautifulWaterfall29
August 22nd, 2017 2:58pm
The best way to stop a panic attack is to ground yourself to your surroundings. Panic attacks originate in the mind and manifest in our bodies as trembling, sweating, and dizziness. If we divert attention from the anxious thoughts in our head to simpler ones such as "What five things can I see around me? What five things can I hear around me?" and attempt to engage all five of our senses, we are better able to ward off a panic attack and stay calm.
Anonymous
To take deep breaths and take a break from what you are doing. Look around and realize what is causing the panic, then go get a drink of water to try to refocus.
Anonymous
Slowly inhale and exhale while thinkinging of things that make you happy and that make you smile....
KingOfTheFranks
Go somewhere quiet and cool, remove any layers of clothing that feel constricting if you feel comfortable, and breathe deeply into the stomach and actively breathe out. I try to remind myself that it will pass and make sure that I have water and some kind of snack with me to replenish my energy when it's over.