Why does my anxiety keep me awake at night?

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

lovecathy
Your anxiety keeps you awake at night because your brain is forced to deal with relative silence. You let loose, allow yourself to relax, and that leaves empty space your anxiety can fill up with bad memories, worries or negative feelings. You are at your most vulnerable state of mind at night, and it's easy for anxiety to overwhelm you. It happens to me, too.
Dreamer49
My anxiety keeps me up because i just overthink about everything that could go wrong and end up crying and feeling terrified and i find it impossible to sleep
SolvedSolutionLife
March 22nd, 2016 8:00am
Anxiety keeps you up at night because you're stressing about what might happen, or what could be about a certain situation. Trust me. I deal with the same exact thing. What I do is write down all my questions, thoughts, feelings, and anything else in a action web and draw out everything. This allows you to see what's going on through your thinking and come up with ways and solutions to solve some issues. Also, you're tiring yourself out and becoming calm by getting everything out of your thinking and you'll end up wanting to relax and sleep. Hope this helps! Give me feedback! 😊 💤 🏨
peacefulCat41
Do you drink caffeinated beverages? I have found this to be a major cause of anxiety even when I drink coffee or tea early in the day. I have switched to an entirely caffeine-free diet. The difficult part comes when you learn that chocolate has caffeine. Sometimes stress at home, work, or relationships can effect your peace of mind. Just realize that as the day comes to an end your peace and safety comes not from others but from within. Seek serenity and peace of mind, and make sure you are not ignoring your conscience as that too can cause anxiety. If it becomes to great to handle on your own, seek a close friend or a professional. Also, you could look at the self-help guide on 7 Cups of Tea.
Anonymous
You overthink about your day at night and worry about the future. So it's best to think about your day and the next awhile before you go to sleep so it doesn't keep you up.
ejaysunflower
The thoughts are always consuming my mind which makes it so difficult to fall asleep. I toss and turn and wake up frequently during the night.
Krovnikkk
Usually its things that during the day you did/didn't do. Sometimes, days can effect your nights, sorry to hear you're not sleeping well.
huskyhemmo
Because anxiety dominates your thoughts. You might be afraid to have nightmares, or maybe you just can't stop thinking about it. It could be anything.
Anonymous
Anxiety keeps you awake at night because your sub conscious wants to keep thinking about it and then you can't get distracted.
LumaGenie
Anxiety can keep you awake because, in my words, your mind won't stop working and worrying. If it's a constant problem, you could talk to someone about being on melatonin supplements, or anxiety medication.
Anonymous
Anxiety is a disorder often characterized by a state of extreme agitation and stimulation. To fall asleep, we often need to do the exact opposite; to enter a state of extreme relaxation, devoid of external (and internal) stimuli. It's common for anxiety sufferers to also experience insomnia as a result.
Anonymous
The constant worry of anxiety is probably leaving you unable to switch off the constant anxious thoughts in your brain, which is causing you to be unable to fall asleep.
RayOfSunshine93
Because anxiety is very physical, and the symptoms make you feel like you've just ran a marathon making it impossible to relax! Advice: take some deep breaths and do some meditation or relaxation exercises.
GingerBread212
Anxiety is a perception of danger. It's probably telling your body that there might be danger, which keeps your body full on alert and hence keeps you awake just in case
Mentor9
Anxiety is unhealthy for everyone. It weakens your body and especially your digestive system. When you are axnxietic, you overthink, when you overthink, you lose energy and feel dizzy. When you are unhealthy you have hard time sleeping.
strawberryJoy91
Because you are worried about something and going to sleep is the moment when everyone starts to think. Anxiety makes you think about these things that worried you and yo cannot sleep because of these 'problems'
naturalbeauty
Sometimes when we go to sleep, a lot of times things that bothers us keeps us up. We feel as if we cant help but think about it and the more we worry the more it keeps us up. Especially if you are just lying there waiting until sleep takes over, your mind wanders. That's why sometimes we might dream about something that's into relation of our stress. Because we got to bed with the thought on our mind.