What's the best way to stop fight between mom and dad without making them angry?

Hope Hadding, MSW, LCSW

I am a professional therapist with extensive experience working with various mental health disorders as well as sexual issues. I am supportive and non-judgmental.

flxrxleen
Tell them that you're hurt to see them fight this way, and you hope to see them calm down and talk instead of fighting and as a result hurting you at the same time.
JessInTechnicolour
I'm sorry you have to experience your parents fighting. That's never a pleasant thing. It's best to not interfere when people are having an argument because they are likely not thinking rationally and may direct their anger at you by accident. When they are calm, you could speak to each of them individually and tell them you love them and care about them and then tell them how their fighting makes you feel. If you express how their fighting affects you, hopefully it will encourage them to behave differently, especially in your presence. Best wishes!
Anonymous
Sit down and speak to them without raising voices. Explain what is going on, Tell them you really need them
Ninolo
If you are their child, you are ill suited to be the intermediate between them. It's best if the mediator is a person with no personal ties to any of the parties involved in the conflict. In other words, even if you know how to help them, you're the wrong person to do so: they will not let you, and whatever you do may affect your relationship to each of them.
MaddestHatter
I can't speak too well form experience in this field, but when it was regarding my mom + someone else, I would always distract one of them subtly.
GeorgiaMae
Talk to both of them individually and tell them how their fights are affecting you and your home life! Confronting them whilst they're fighting is a no go, just talk to them when they're calm and you should do just fine!
Manta
Show what brings them together, without corrupting it with things that drive them apart. Take on extra tasks or chores to make life easier for both of them, thus reducing the household stress. Coordinate with siblings. Talk with your parents as adults and allow them to voice their concerns about the relationship. Genuinely desire to see both view points, and then work with them to create a better environment for all.
That can be difficult. And a child should not have to worry about stopping a fight between their parents. If you are having issues with your parents fighting, perhaps talking to them about how you feel could help.
Robyncheespuff19
February 23rd, 2016 1:31pm
I would say the best way to stop a fight between mum and dad wihtouth making them angry is once they have stopped the argument, talk to each of them separately and explain what it makes you feel when they argue, and then talk to them together. They might understand the effect is it having on you, and make them realise that they need to sort out their problems nstead of arguing about them.
musicalZebra37
By talking to each one fo them alone, when they are in a good mood, and try to start it indirectly, not just coming to them and being like "Mom/Dad, you need to stop fighting." Try to first know what is causing the fight and slowly try to come up with a solution.
Anonymous
Have a calm conversation with them, and let them know how you do not like it, and that it makes you uncomfortable. Actually, because they are yelling and screaming, when you have calming tone, and voice, it will be more powerful.
Anonymous
I suggest that when they are not fighting, you talk to them each separately. Emphasis on separately. You can even do it on 2 different days. Make sure you explain how their fighting is affecting you.
Anonymous
Be the mediator, remind them how they love each other. Ask them what's the problem, offer your hekp to them.
beautifulheart100
Mom and dad are the last generation me the New one. They are losted between the tow generation.. so i have to respect them and help myself.. so tge best why by make them understand listen to them even if iam not agree with them