Why do I still feel so alone when my family is so supportive of me?

Tracee Moore, PhD

I have worked with people on a variety issues across a spectrum of issues including grief/loss, adjustment issues, anxiety, depression, medical issues and life transitions.

Anonymous
March 23rd, 2015 1:38pm
Maybe it's because sometimes most of us feel like they don't know what we're going through. Feeling lonely has nothing to do with family support it's something inside us that we can't explain really.Sometimes we feel like we have no one to relate to or we feel like no one can understand us or what we're going through. which makes us lonely.
fearwilllose13
Sometimes, even if your family is there for you, there are some things you still can't tell your family, leaving you alone to deal with problems by yourself.
Hyachin
You want a change. Not that you want them out of what you're doing, you just want to prove something to yourself. You want to become independent, one who can stand on your own.
emmaleah
Sometimes even when you have the biggest possible support system you can still feel lonely. This could stem from feeling as though no one really understands you or simply feeling alone because whatever issue you're suffering with makes you naturally feel so separated from everyone else. It's nothing to blame yourself for though. It's not at all your fault.
Neil22713
It could possibly be that they are there physically but not emotionally. It is easy to say that they are here for you, but then not be available later. Or maybe even you are struggling to let them in. Make sure that you are willing to let them help and it may become easier :)
MuchOfAMuchness
February 21st, 2017 5:40pm
It is a basic human need to be understood by others. We all need a variety of interactions and relationships in order to feel happy and fulfilled. A supportive family is a great, healthy system, but you may need strong relationships with people outside of your family too. Encountering different people with different perspectives will open up new ways to see the world and yourself. Reaching out to like-minded people who may see you in a different light and who can provide new social interactions for you will make a very big difference.
Ashlee26Jayde
Sometimes your families support is great but at the same time you may be looking for support from your peers more so than your family. If you do feel alone because you feel like you dont have friends who support you, keep reminding yourself that your family loves you and really try to show each other that as much as you can so you dont feel so alone.
Josho93
Even when family is supportive you have to teach yourself what makes YOU happy. Sometimes it takes time but when you get there you will know.
Anonymous
Do you get out at all? You mght just need to get out and hang with some friends or shop, have some fun!
March 22nd, 2016 6:39am
Maybe you take them for granted. Sometimes when u have the people u need that are always there for you, you tend to not realize it till you loose them. So try appreciating them and their support.
Sprinkles128
In moments when your family might be showing support, what kind of thoughts come up that have you feel alone? (and what are you doing to address those concerns/questions?) In general, simmering in positive moments and truly experiencing and absorbing them is a practice. Our brains are wired to notice the negative moments - so we can obsess over them, learn from them, and survive. But if you want happiness, next time you feel good feelings - gratitude, support - breathe into it and experience it lasting for 10 seconds before the judging thoughts come in. When someone offers help, support, or compliment, take a breathe, smile, and say thank you - without any qualifications or explanations, or "back atcha" out loud to them, or in your head. Receiving any attention, even positive attention, can be really hard. Just know you're not alone in feeling alone.
SunflowerCrow
Feeling alone does not always pertain to being around people! You can be "alone in a crowded place," even if that place is full of helpful people that support you and help you (or assist you in managing a mental illness). I understand how you feel! Often I become upset because I *know* there are people out there that care about me, I just feel like there's an invisible wall between my thoughts and their supportive selves. I'm sure they're doing their best to help you out, but if you feel so alone when it comes down to it, you should tell them. Or perhaps find someone to whom you can speak and relate these feelings to! It is up to you, my dear. I am always here if you need to talk. With love, Crow
Anonymous
January 21st, 2019 8:23pm
Your family is always there, you know that and some times, you do not even knowledge it, consequently it is not important or you do not feel them close to you. You are looking for a new experience, somebody who will bring you something new.. but will also stay. We are eager for new things, new emotions and when we do not get that, also a feeling of loneliness can take place. Another reason why you feel alone is because you do not see the people around you, they are there.. but you are just.. alone.. you do not want to talk to people.. you do not share their emotions.. you just isolate yourself..