What does it mean to be Queer?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

caringEnergy22
That's difficult to explain because people have multiple explanations. I interpret it as follows: to be anything in the LGBTQ+ spectrum, yet to be nothing. Does that make sense?
TattoodMonkey
To me, being queer means being part of the LGBTQ+ community, and being myself. It's the only word that really fits for me. It encompasses my gender identity, as well as my sexual orientation. For me it gives me almost a sense of self, and belonging, and it makes me feel comfortable. I find it's a really good label for me because otherwise, I have to use too many different ones and things get complicated! Like, it's much easier for me to say queer, than a "panromantic, polysexual, trans masculine non-binary person" but queer can mean whatever you want it to mean for you! If you feel it fits, go for it!
SunshineRosa94
Typically Queer indicates that you have a different sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression than what is mainstream. It is sometimes used as a condescending word, but have luckily in newer time been taken back and used by individuals within the LBGTQIA+ community about themselves in a positive manner. Subjects regarding the community often go by "queer theory" and the community itself by "queer-community". If you have a sexuality or gender identity that is more unknown or if you don't feel safe disclosing the exact nature of your identity, the word queer is a good way to indicate that your identity is not mainstream, but without having to disclose every detail of your personal-life to a stranger to explain it. It is a beautiful word and should only be used with positivity and love in mind!
Oli4545
Being queer is not a choice. Some people are born queer and are openly out, some people realised in their later years, there is not a unique way of being queer. Being queer can mean being Lesbian, Gay, Trans, Non-Binary, Asexual, Bisexual, Demisexual, Intersexed and so on.... It is an umbrella term to indicate somebody is somewhere on the LGBTQAI+ spectrum. If somebody comes out as Queer to you, it is important to stay sensible : Coming out is always a process that takes a lot of energy and courage and queer people still experience discrimation, support is the best answer. If you're queer and find yourself in a difficult situation, you can reach your local queer community, or even try to find some help online : there is a group chat for LGBTQ+/MOGII Support on 7 cups, and some listeners are specialised in LGBTQ+ issues.
Anonymous
If you are talking in the sexuality way, to be queer is to be homosexual. If you are queer, you also identify as gay or bisexual. You are not straight. Being queer is not a bad thing. It can be confusing, and there may be a lot of hurt that comes with it. If you are queer, or someone else is, it is helpful to surround yourself with people who are accepting and understand. Like I said before, there is nothing wrong with being queer or gay or any other sexuality. You love who you love. It doesn't matter and no one should hate you for it.
Anonymous
For me, the definition of queer is to not be just straight. Instead liking people that aren't the opposite gender. such as somebody who is non-binary or gender-fluid. Yet the main point of all the labels in LGBT, is to find comfort. If one does not find it comfortable to be called queer, they don't need to call themselves that. This is all about finding comfort within yourself. If labeling yourself is something that provides comfort, as it does for me and may others, go for it! But typically, as time progresses, it is less about who you like, and more about who you are.
Poptheweezl1058
Queer is used as an umbrella term, some times it is also used as a non umbrella term, queer can be used when you feel as if you don't fit into any other sexual identity or label or don't wish to fully use a label. As the umbrella term queer means anyone inside of the lgbt+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and transexual plus) community. Whlist queer used to be used as an insult we changed it into an umbrella term, it is still being used as an insult and should be used as an umbtell a term with care. Hope I could help, if you need any other help message or ask me -pop
intelligentSpring93
January 22nd, 2019 3:26am
For me personally, being queer means not really exactly fitting any of the other LGBTQ+ identity labels. For example, I I am attracted more than 90% of the time to other women. However, there is a very rare chance when I am attracted to a man. While lesbian doesn't really fit because I can be attracted to multiple genders, I don't really feel like bisexual fits either because of the disparity between my attraction to CIS men and women. Throw gender nonconforming folks into the mix which I am attracted to as well and attraction doesn't seem as clear cut as one may think. Queerness as an identity for me helps bridge that gap between what is logical and what is not. I hope that makes some sort of sense.
Anonymous
To be Queer is to be Queer, It's an umbrella term. It can mean anything, if people can't find a label they go with Queer. Don't call someone Queer unless they identify as it, because someone could take it as an insult if they don't. I identify as Gay, because I'm a men who likes men. But, I'm still technically queer even if I don't identify as it, you can be l, g or b and still use queer. But, if someone has a very specific sexuality queer is the perfect term. If you like nonbinary girls and cis guys, for example, Queer is probably the term for you.
AlexanderReed
February 2nd, 2019 12:09am
The word Queer has been used as a slur in the past but is slowly starting to be reclaimed by individuals who are part of the LGBTQ+ community. Many do not feel comfortable with using this word while others do. It's really up to the individual and how they feel regarding this word. It often is more respectful if you didn't refer to someone else as Queer unless you knew that they were comfortable with it. The reason for doing so is again because some still may not be ready to reclaim that slur to associate themselves with it. Basically the word Queer can be used as an umbrella term for someone who is part of the LGBTQ+ community. I hope that I was able to answer your question to the fullest of my ability.
Nkav
All Queer means is that you are not a heterosexual (straight) cisgender (your gender identity matches the one you were assigned at birth). Like "gay", Queer was originally used as an insult, but was taken over by the LGBTQIA+ community. It's actually what the Q in LGBTQIA+ stands for. Genderqueer is another common term. It basically means the same thing as non-binary. Genderqueer people do not consider themselves male or female, but rather neither, both, or a combination of the two. This is a simplification of the Genderqueer community. There is a lot of information and facts about what it means to be nonbinary or genderqueer, and I don't have time to explain them all. If you want to know more, a quick google search will turn up a lot of good information. I hope I was able to help answer your question!
Ency
Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities such as gay, trans, nonbinary, pansexual etc. It is considered by some to be offensive as it is a reclaimed slur but most young LGBT people are comfortable with it and it's becoming more and more popular as a catch-all term for anyone who isn't cisgender (the gender they were assigned at birth) and heterosexual (sexually attracted to the opposite gender) and heteroaromatic (romantically attracted to the opposite gender). The word does have a sketchy history though so older folks sometimes are uncomfortable with it so just be careful where you use it. Hope this helps, Ency.