How to maintian peace in mind while having trouble breathing?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 daily live chat sessions. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

Spiderman93
try and remember that it is only a temporary thing. thinking about something that makes you happy may help you to clear your mind and improve your breathing.
LilyFlowers
Your breathe controls your thoughts and visa versa. Control your breathing and control your thoughts.
TheLizzyMonster
When I have trouble breathing I try my very best to distract myself. I will take a hot shower, I will play music and force myself to sing to it, I will hug my dog or take him for a walk, I will clean my apartment or type an entry into journal. Distraction is my coping mechanism however there are others. You can try meditation and relaxation techniques..there are a bunch of videos on youtube for guided meditation. You could make yourself some calming tea and just sit there smelling the wonderful aroma.
Kalmina
It is important for you to know that it is impossible to die from a panic attack or from hyperventilating or feeling like you can't breath while anxious. You're struggles for breathing is all caused by your thoughts, and your automatic bodily functions will always over come those thoughts if you were really about to die from an attack. That should always be on your mind when experiencing this. Another thing to think about is how everything is caused by your thoughts and you are in charge of them. Just think about something pleasant while ensuring yourself that it is all in your mind and impossible for you to actually run out of breath.
Anonymous
If you're having difficulty breathing because of a panic attack using a breathing pattern might help you feel calmer, more in control, and open up your lungs. Personally, I like the 4-7-8. You breathe in for the count of four, hold the breath for the count of seven, and breathe out for the count of eight. It can also be helpful to remind yourself, either mentally, verbally, or by writing it down, that you ARE breathing right now, pulling air into your lungs and pushing it out, and that you're going to be able to keep breathing. Remind yourself that this will not last forever and that you can make it through this.
Anonymous
Stop what you are currently doing and just be calm and focus on your breathing. Inform the person that you are with about the problem you're having and know the reason behind it.
Alwaysdreamin
Whoa. This is a difficult question because if this is referring to trouble breathing from a panic attack, it is so difficult to focus on anything except the fear, physical, and mental pain. Waiting until it is over, then reflecting on why it happened and what you can do next time is helpful. If I misunderstood the question, then sorry.
Anonymous
When you are having trouble breathing try to remember the last thing that made you happy or try to focus on your breathing.
MamaMia2
I have many techniques that I use myself. I can listen to soothing music, breathe through a straw, breathe in and count to 6, then breathe out and count to 6 then repeat, put on lotion, or talk to a friend.
Anonymous
I like to like to think of a rocking chair. how it slowly rocks back and forth. I sync my breathing with the speed of the chair and after about a minute i feel fine!