Why do I always fear the unknown to the point that it's almost debilitating?

Tim Van Rheenen, M.A., LMFT

I will work to help you get unstuck. Together we will apply methodologies that work to find freedom from trauma, sexually addictive behaviors, and relational problems.

BirdsOfAFeather
The unknown can be scary! We don't know what to expect, and that can be hard to accept sometimes.
Twokindears
A big part of fear is lack of knowledge. It someone jumps out at you and you are not aware that they are there you may become frightened because you weren't expecting them but if you had known you may be less afraid or not afraid at all. When we face our fears we gain power to overcome them (knowledge is power)The more we run from what we are afraid of the more it tends to consume us to the point that it interferes with our subconscious even though we are not aware of it. Excessive worrying can cause fear and make you think you are fearing something that doesn't exist
LilyFlowers
That is a very good question, I struggle with the same thing myself. Humans fear the unknown more than anything else, so you are in good company. Because in our history as humans, unknown could have meant death. Fearing the unknown goes hand and hand with trusting our ability to handle things as they come, finding more ways of having confidence in your ability to succeed and learn from difficult situations will free you.
Anonymous
Because the unknown is scary. Unlike a fear of failure, heights, or embarrassment, the unknown is, well, unknown. But the thing is, you're not alone. Nobody knows what will happen next. But you can look in the past and see what has happened to people: there has never been a problem that's so unbearable that humanity couldn't get through it. Although nobody can specifically predict the future, you can look to the past to realize that 99.9% of the time, people wind up just fine.
PathLessTaken
That's easy, it can be literally anything! There's a reason that the saying, "The devil you know over the devil you don't," after all! And sometimes, an unknown positive can be harder to deal with than a known negative.
karmicangel
Fear of the unknown has always been something that makes us feel more alive! Though excessive fear creeping down to my gut always leaves me exhausted and I sometimes feel prostrating to horrors unknown. There lies the fact that beyond fears lies the paradise unknown; only if we were to look beyond those insecurities and stand up to face ourselves in the mirror. That's when we see these vibrations of terror to be nothing but a camouflage of insecurities built up over years of dejection and suffering!