Is it OK to show scars in public? Should I be concerned about people commenting or should I be self-confident?

Susana Diaz, lpc

I believed that to be a successful therapist is to be able to empathize and connect with all clients. My work with clients is to help them identify resources to cope.

Anonymous
Be self-confident, and yes, it is totally okay to show your scars in public. People might comment (and that's totally in the realm of possibility) but having confidence in yourself and being able to accept that others might not understand is the most important thing. Some people will stare, others might ask you - but it's because it's something they don't understand or have not experienced. Just something to remember!
MollyCule
I say there’s no shame. When I see others’ scares, its makes me feel less alone in my struggle. Those scars are a part of what you are overcome or what you are struggling with.
magicallysunset75
Be self-confident! Those scars show how strong you are and how much you have grown. Everyone struggles, and people should understand that you have as well. People who comment may be concerned about you or they may be insecure about themselves and want to put you down to feel better about themselves. Either way, you are not defined by your scars. Do not listen to others who comment. They don't know you and they don't know what you've been through. You should be confident that you have grown and you are strong enough to show the marks of your past. Go get 'em!
peacefulLight8704
There's nobody who can tell you what you "should" do or what you "shouldn't" do. It's your skin, and it's your choice and nobody else's. I personally would say that you should do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. If that means that you go in the closet and choose what to wear without worrying about whether the outfit shows your scars or not, that's fine! If right now, you feel best when you are covering them, that's perfectly fine too! Nobody knows you or your story. That's all for you to decide what works best for you, and what you believe is most comfortable.
Petervanowen
I have a lot of scars on my body. I’m sometimes ashamed of them but mostly I try to embrace them. They haven’t killed me yet so I don’t mind talking about them. It is difficult when people stare however, makes me real uncomfortable in social situations. Self confidence to me has been a key point in accepting my scars. It is VERY hard to be honest about them when people ask. Sometimes I feel like I’m ostracized when people hear the truth. Mental illness is a huge problem in the country. All too often it’s minimized and back burnered. Wear your scars how you feel most comfortable.