Is it OK to show scars in public? Should I be concerned about people commenting or should I be self-confident?

Dorothy Paige, MS Psychology

I believe that any issue that prevents one from living life to the fullest or prevents self love is defeating. I am committed to providing support to anyone who seeks help.

Erynn - Expert in Self-Harm
Whether or not it's "okay" will depend on the situation and how comfortable you are. Sometimes people will comment, so it may help to think of how you might respond in advance. Most of the time people just stare though. I've worn clothes that show my scars for about a a year and a half now and only had 4 comments. They all were "what happened to your arm?" one was pure concern from someone without his glasses on. The other 3 were curiosity. I tend to say "Oh, it's from a long time ago" because I'm typically shocked. It's awkward, but generally well meant or simply ignorant. I've never hand anyone continue a conversation past that point. The first few times I advise bringing some sort of covering clothing with you, so if you get too uncomfortable you can cover up again. The more you show your scars, the less it will probably bother you. Sometimes I pretty much forget I have scars!
Estherrrr
It is definitely ok to show your scars in public, just as long as it doesn't make you uncomfortable. I struggled with showing my scars for a long time but now it doesn't make me uncomfortable because after awhile you just stop caring how people are going to view you and what they are going to think. You shouldn't be concerned about what others say because when all is said and done at the end of the day, they aren't you. You are you. All you really need to be concerned about is yourself.
Anonymous
Scars are beautiful - they tell stories. Don't be ashamed of them - they are a part you who you are. It is normal for people to be curious, so don't be afraid of people's questions, opinions, or comments if they ever come up. It's OK :)
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2018 8:19pm
I think it is completely fine to show scars in public. Yes some people will stare, or even ask you about them which may make you uncomfortable or upset. But at the end of the day you know why those scars are there, and the fact that you're still here, even with those scars shows what a strong person you are. Be confident in who you are, even if some people don't get it.
lisahart0811
Our physical appearance is somewhat a reflection of who we are. Since others cannot know us off first instance they use our bodies, gestures, scars, and facial expressions as guidelines. This is a sign of who you were and what you went through. No matter what others perceive, it is your story and yours alone. How you present it can help influence how others see you. Be proud of what you have overcome and many times others will see it that way too. So, yes it is okay and you shouldn't be concerned. A chance to tell the beautiful journey of you!
Braesiat
definitely be self confident. A lot of times people judge what they don't understand so don't worry about it!
ClaireyMarie
I think you should do whatever you want. I don't hide mine, and only some people notice. I think that if it tells someone struggling that they aren't alone, it's worth having them on display. I don't care about the people that don't understand and judge me, it isn't my concern.
Anonymous
I think it's a very personal choice. But if someone wants to display their battle scars in public then I don't see a problem. People might want to show their scars because they want people to know that they are and have been fighting a battle. Sometimes to show the bullies what they have done.
LokadiaElaine
scars a part of your story. it sucks that you have emotional scars and now you have physical ones too... BUT they are a part of the beautiful you that you are. and you NEVER EVER have to be ashamed to show the real you
Eluna
It's definitely ok to show your scars in public! Most people will not comment about that, as it's usually really insensitive to comment about someone's scars. Although, if you feel confident enough to show them- go ahead! Wear them with confidence.
Anonymous
Of course, it's okay. They're warrior parts. There's nothing to be ashamed. You've done it pretty well. You should be self-confident, they're part of you anyways.
CaptainBatkat
I myself have many scars, but I believe it is okay to show your scars in public, it only shows people that you have had a though time, that you had your downs of life, but it also shows people that even through it has been a hard time, you also overcame it! You will always get scars after a battle afterall! You shoudln't be scared about people commenting, be self-confident! It was your battle, and you only show people that you won the battle.
Anonymous
It is absolutely OK to show them in public, and you ought to be self-confident about them. Remember, each scar on your body sings a story of your personal victory in battles and lessons learnt from those that are lost, metaphorically. Your body is a battlefield. You're a fighter, love. And the scars are your medals.
Nahsha
If showing scars makes you feel comfortable, then do that. You should ever care about peoples negative comments.
Belbelbel
Be self confident! It's your body, and your scars. You might want to consider showing your scars to the world if they're very now because you never know who that can trigger - but otherwise, get outside in that tank top and the short shorts!
Anonymous
If you are happy with your scars being visible then absolutely! Do it. If people comment it may simply be that they are intrigued, perhaps been in a similar situation that you don't know about or if negative comments that is their own problem. Be confident in who you are and where you have come from, these scars are just battle wounds to show how far you have come.
Anonymous
I believe that showing scars in public is very brave. If you feel comfortable about this and your past, or even the problem you are having now, then there should be nothing to hide about this. You should't be concerned about being commenting on it, because many people got through the same as you, this is nothing to be ashamed of.
beautifulsilence15
Your scars are your body's way of letting the world know you have lived life. Some people hide their scars like the plague, but I say show your scars like trophies that say you played the game of life, and won.
Anonymous
It's really hard to tell what others will do if they see your scars in public. Some people may not say anything, and others might comment. It's kind of like a 50/50 chance that someone could comment on your scars.
CJSteckDawg
I think of scars like natural tattoos, so I don't mind showing mine in public. Be brave and authentic. :)
Anonymous
It depends. If seeing your scars is triggering to you, don't show them. If you're not triggered by seeing your scars, feel free to show them in public. Polite people might not mention it to you. If your friends judge you for it, they probably aren't good friends.
Robicle
You should always be self-confident. Never let anybody make you feel like you can't be you. There will always be people who may say something, just don't take it to heart and move on.
WarmFireworks
Yes! If you are comfortable with it of course you can. There may be people that comment or whisper about it but keep in mind that their words will only bother you if you let them. You have no obligation to justify yourself to perfect strangers. You may have scars but they are not all there is to you.
Anonymous
Be self confident, you should be proud to show what you've been through! But it is understandable if you are not yet ready.
PaleRose12
Be confident show that there looks or comments don't bother you its important not to cover up scars they are a part of life and its normal to have them so work it.
RaCat
It is really brave to show your scars in public. And if you are comfortable with this and with your past (or with your problem you are having right now) there is nothing to hide about. When someone see it, they can help you or they can't change them behavor and even make someones life better :)
Magicalsunshine9
I feel like you feel self conscious about your scars. It is perfectly okay to show them off in public , it's not against the rules and it is no ones business to judge you for them. If you feel confident flaunt it , your scars show a story , it's a challenge and battle you've over come be proud 😊
Anonymous
"Should" according to whom? Do not live your life according to other people's opinions on what you "should" be doing or not - that is entirely up to you, the rest is garbage. Second, your question implies it is either you show your scars or you are self-confident. Is it not possible to self-confidently show your scares while being open-minded about a variety of reactions that may occur? Be you! Live you loudly! It's OK if you think it's OK!
smallstrawberry12
I think if you want to show your scars, that's fine. I've never really tried to hide mine when I'm out in public. If other people comment or are uncomfortable with it, that's their fault and not yours. The scars aren't necessarily a good thing, but they are there and they're part of you, and there isn't much you can do to change it. I think that if you accept it. other people will start to too.
Anonymous
Be self-confident, and yes, it is totally okay to show your scars in public. People might comment (and that's totally in the realm of possibility) but having confidence in yourself and being able to accept that others might not understand is the most important thing. Some people will stare, others might ask you - but it's because it's something they don't understand or have not experienced. Just something to remember!