Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Ask About America!

If you don't live in America, and you're curious about it, here's your chance!

People who aren't American: Please ask anything and everything!

People who are American: Please answer questions, or share your experiences? <3

105

Do there have to leave the home after 18 and have to manage life by their own and parents don't even help with any expenses is it like this ?

6 replies

we all have the same question xD 

4 replies

Depends on the family. But foster kids do...

3 replies

@jesusredeemedme2425 

Wait, seriously? Why? If the foster parents are ok with paying, even then? 

2 replies

Im not a foster kids, so I don't know details about this, but yeah, foster parents aren't legally obligated to keep you after 18. :(

1 reply

@jesusredeemedme2425 

:/ 

load more
load more
load more
load more

@sincereWest5817

In all actuality, young people are staying at home much longer into adulthood now. 

load more

I wonder what Americans, especially Texans.

What to they eat, dress, or behave?

I imagine every Texan dress like cowboys or cowgirls, eat brisket every Sunday, and ride horses confidently.

Well, I could be wrong or right?

19 replies

@marek05adler

What I found on my trips to Texas, was that they were big on Mexican cuisine due to being at the Mexican border.


1 reply

₍₍ ◝( ゚∀ ゚ )◟ ⁾⁾ that's interesting

load more

I've never been to Texas, but what I do know is that a lot of the movie type stereotypes are false. Americans aren't all rich like the movies say, either lol

I’ve been to Texas many times as I had relatives there. Texans often wear cowboy boots and hats. They usually have a pickup truck. They own guns. They love their barbecue!! Don’t ask them for their barbecue sauce recipe. It’s considered rude. Chili in Texas doesn’t have beans in it. If you get introduced to someone who you’ve seen around they might say, “We’ve howdied but we ain’t shook.” Meaning, we’ve said hi to each other but we never shook hands. If you are ever in San Antonio go to the River Walk. If you go to New Braunfels, get some German Pastry but most of all go the first part of November so you can attend the Wurstfest. It’s a 10-day salute to sausage!! You’ll have a stick with 4-5 sausages on it in one hand, a beer in the other hand and a funny hat all the while dancing to polka music!! There is more but you get the idea.

2 replies

Ok, I officially want to steal that... "We've howdied but we ain't shook" XD

1 reply

@jesusredeemedme2425

Honestly there are so many cool expressions here... Also, some people might say things like "boy, howdy" (an exclamation of surprise) "Bless your heart" (which can vary from being a phrase of genuine sympathy to saying someone had been foolish) and "All hat, no cattle" (which is kinda like saying you boast a lot but don't have the skills to back it up)

load more
load more

@marek05adler

In Texas, cuisine is pretty mixed. It can be mexican, tex mex (which is like a combination), or just normal food, like spaghetti or enchiladas. Texas dresses... hm. I don't think they're that different, but Texas boots and hats are common, and there are herding contests with border collies and other dogs herding sheep. I do see people just riding by on horses sometimes lol... There are a lot of farms here, actually my grandma has one, and a lot of country music, and just country in general! 

3 replies

@RayniDayAmbience

Oh also, accents here can vary from barely there (like pronouncing brown a little exaggerated) to pretty evident, and I think both are really cool. 

User Profile: marek05adler
marek05adler 3 days ago

I ate in at a place in a mall once named 'Texas Chicken'. I'm not very knowledgeable with Texan cuisine but I had a burrito, fried chicken, and a fried cheese thingy - have no idea what that's called. But it's quite delicious.

I like the restaurant logo and feel, very cowboy and Texas.

1 reply
User Profile: RayniDayAmbience
RayniDayAmbience 2 days ago

@marek05adler

Ooooh, that sounds really yummy! 

load more
load more
User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 3 days ago

@marek05adler

Well, I can tell you my experience in Texas: 

We got to Texas and were going to work our way west to California so we stopped at a Walmart to stock up on road trip goodies. Everyone was strapped down with guns. Hoss in front of us in the checkout had three guns on him. That was a culture shock for me coming from my cute little state where we hide our guns. Yes, lots of people wear cowboy hats and steak is a big thing. "Everything's bigger in Texas" definitely applies. The stereotypes in that respect are definitely alive. 

4 replies
User Profile: marek05adler
marek05adler 3 days ago

Guns are illegal in my country, only the police has it.

It must feel scary walking around with people strapped down with guns. 😭

3 replies
User Profile: amicableLand9991
amicableLand9991 3 days ago

Not as scary as you think.

User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 2 days ago

@marek05adler

It is something I have encountered all over the world, especially in airports. It's just a freedom our people have. 

1 reply
User Profile: marek05adler
marek05adler 2 days ago

They say America is Land of the Free. ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: amicableLand9991
amicableLand9991 3 days ago

I would say you're wrong.

@marek05adler

I mean I don't live in Texas but I ride horses every week

2 replies
User Profile: marek05adler
marek05adler 2 days ago

That's so cool! ╭( ・ㅂ・)و

I used to dream about own a horse because of My Little Pony.

1 reply

@marek05adler

horses are so fun to ride tbh also fire show

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: WhimsicalWhimsy
WhimsicalWhimsy 2 days ago

Why do you think Americans have guns?