Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Ask About America!

If you don't live in America, and you're curious about it, here's your chance!

People who aren't American: Please ask anything and everything!

People who are American: Please answer questions, or share your experiences? <3

105

@ShadowFaerie @unassumingEyes @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sadcat13 @Amanda84 @goldenduckling @mytwistedsoul @Tinywhisper11 @LovemyMoonflowers @GreenLime3141 @7Bear7 @Phoenixthepoised @Torean @GentleHealingInitiative @cyanessence @YourCaringConfidant @CaringEzra @fossilfellow @BastionKnight @trueconfidant123 @safeplace288 @lovingCat6978 @reservedOwl321 @dapperNest2125 @Creamyyy @naturesbeauty1234 @bubbleSummer9800 @warmheartedHuman836 @Mansbestfriend @Paliloveyourself @Magicpawsoffuture @SelfCareMatters @sabeyesofblue3535 @AiluraTheCat @charmingApple8098 @luvArisu @BlueDarkAurora @curiousbookishness @sympatheticPlace3743 @musawva @KindleMissie @WellsFiction @Angelanj @SunshineJazz @LexListens2025 @Heather225 @agreeableSkies9889 @HopeAura @rainbowBridge46 @sereneMango2512 @SmackyMcGee

I’m adding a taglist to start, but this post is open to absolutely everyone! <3

@jesusredeemedme2425 Do you often see people performing music, dance or any other talent on the streets in America? 💗

24 replies

Not often. Only if you're in SUPER touristy spots usually. At least where I live anyway <3

I did see TikTokers making a video once tho. It was funny hehe

17 replies

@jesusredeemedme2425 I see, I've seen tictokers here too xD, but we can't call them tictokers here cus it was banned in India long time ago, during Covid we use to make tictok all the time at home <3 

Are Doritos and Cheetos really popular in amarica? Are they really tasty?

16 replies

@fossilfellow I tried Doritos and Cheetos recently, but google says it's not the same flavour as in America. 

7 replies

@fossilfellow

They are common, and tasty too! The only problem is that the cheese gets all over your fingers 😝

3 replies

@RayniDayAmbience Sounds yummy! 💗😋

2 replies

Cheetos are SO messy. You will end up with your fingers in your mouth after every bag! The cheese gets all over your fingers lol

1 reply

@jesusredeemedme2425 Wow, I want to eat it now 💗😁

aLyknDXvTklJUqwJNQL.gif

load more
load more
load more

Yes. Cheeto dust is a problem. Be prepared with a wet paper towel.

2 replies

I've heard of people eating Cheetos with chopsticks so their hands wouldn't get cheesy lol

1 reply
User Profile: amicableLand9991
amicableLand9991 3 days ago

Can confirm! 😆

load more
load more
load more

@fossilfellow american here. Cheetahs and doritos are good. Crunchy with a very potent cheese flavor. Like a super cheese powder. You eat just one and you want to eat the entire bag. I only have them once in a while. Cost of groceries is too high. I can't afford to buy them anymore. Though I do get them at family barbecues. Burger or chili, doritos, fruit, and drink. Also had that at camps and such. You can turn the doritos into a doritos taco salad by crunching the chips up and shaking ground beef(or b

black beans) with cheese then a bit of salsa. That's probably my favorite way to eat doritos.

2 replies

@olivePond9649 Doritos taco salad is such an interesting way to have them 💖 Thank you for sharing! ❤️🥰


What did I tell you about Taco salad??

Recipe:

Cooked ground beef (or any beef or chicken)

Cubed cheese or grated

Lettuce

Black olives

Canned beans

Avocado

Crushed Nacho Cheese Flavored Doritos

Salsa - tomatoes, peppers, onion, cilantro, lemon juice. garlic powder and salt

Salad dressing of your choice

load more
User Profile: emilystar
emilystar Monday

yess theyre really popular and they are pretty tasty 🫰 but i try not to eat them because they are very unhealthy.

2 replies

@emilystar

Have you tried the  Doritos Protein? I enjoyed the Nacho cheese. However, Tangy BBQ was too overwhelming. 

doritos-protein-chips_1790627046.png

1 reply
User Profile: emilystar
emilystar Monday

v-verity 🥺🥺 okay sorry haha

i havent tried them! i'll definitely look for them in the future 💗

load more
load more

Nacho Cheese Flavored Doritos are phenomenal!! That’s what I put in my taco salad!

Cheetos are a favorite - either crunchy or puffy!

@fossilfellow

ALL junk food is popular in America and there is a lot!zAs6ZiQA.gif

load more
load more
User Profile: emilystar
emilystar Monday

@fossilfellow

i actually live in a touristy city! so yes, i see it pretty commonly (i walk into livestreams a lot 😭).

User Profile: Rosey03
Rosey03 Monday

Yes! I've seen it a lot in bigger cities like NYC.

User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 3 days ago

@fossilfellow

Yes! In both Hollywood and New York City, there are tons everywhere and it was so fun to meet them. Lots of people dress up as movie or cartoon characters. They will come up to you, try to get you to take pictures and then demand money. They get a little annoying. In the subways in NYC, there were people singing or playing musical instruments. 

Here we have street performers. People playing musical instruments or singing. I have a friend that will go down into the city and sit on the sidewalk and play his handpan. When I was in California, we saw people juggling. 

User Profile: amicableLand9991
amicableLand9991 3 days ago

Bigger cities.

@fossilfellow

sometimes but not very often especially where I live unless its for a small event or something

User Profile: colorfulSpace
colorfulSpace 2 days ago

I see street performers a lot at the more touristy beaches. Those seem to be hot spots for it along with bigger cities. It’s so much fun and completely free entertainment 😁

load more

@jesusredeemedme2425 

Do you really get kicked out at 18yrs? And have to pay for college yourself? Why? 

5 replies
User Profile: emilystar
emilystar Monday

it really depends on the parents! some parents would want you to stay for free, others for rent, and some do kick you out. and yes we do have to pay for colleges ourselves through work but a lot of parents would support you or they already set up college savings for you! but those that go to colleges within their own states have a lot of financial incentive. there's also a lot of financial aid depending on your parents income.

and i really don't know why, i think it's all dumb too. especially the poor job market these days. that's why you see so much college kids barely making ends meet!

1 reply

@emilystar 

Ah i see. Thanks for explaining it!

Yeah I hear lots about student debt in the US. Where i live parents commonly pay. If they cant afford it girls aim for scholarships that cover most of the cost and boys do part-time, but middle-class families usually have parents paying. 

load more

Nooooo!! Bad parents might but no.

User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 3 days ago

@unassumingEyes

That really depends on your family, but once you hit 18 you are legally responsible for yourself in most cases. That's when some parents say "we're done" and your life is now your responsibility. I was not that cruel and neither were my parents. But some can't have the financial responsibility of another adult.  

It depends on where you go to college. Some parents have savings for their children to go to school. Some don't, and we have to work through college, and take out loans. In my state, if you go to a state college, it ends up being no cost. 

@unassumingEyes

depends on your parents my oldest brother is 19 and in community college and he still lives at home but I have friends who's parents kicked out their older siblings within 2 weeks of them turning 18

load more

@jesusredeemedme2425 I’ve always been curious, how does jury duty work? As an outsider, it sounds like a massive hassle for regular citizens to deal with.. do people actually want to do it?

11 replies

@QuietWillow00

ooh i wondered about jury duty too! And is the final decision the jury’s or the judge’s? The jury can be bought so that doesnt sound very good?

3 replies

I was excused from jury duty because of breastfeeding. I wasn’t summoned again for 20 years. No, I didn’t breastfeed for that long.

2 replies

Lol the last sentence!

@WhimsicalWhimsy 

😬😬 

load more
load more

@QuietWillow00

@QuietWillow00

You get a summons to do jury duty, you have to go to court and be vetted. Example if you have something that would make you not objective or a commitment you can't avoid. If you pass and can't get out of it. 😉 you have to show up to the court and be the jury for each case that shows up. It can be violent crimes or substances etc. Horrific cases. My dad did jury duty for a month or two and he was drained by it. You have to also abide by court rules. Not talk about the cases online or to anyone. Not look at social media or research the case is another one. Etc. As for deliberation and how the jury decides a case, it's very hard. Each case has it's own rules. Anyways once your time is up or if you have to drop out fr an emergency, you're done. Jurors are supposed to be anonymous for their protection which is why they aren't supposed to discuss cases online or say which one they deliberately for. It's for their safety. I have not been called but honestly I have an opt out And I am glad. I could not do jury duty and be fine.

1 reply

@olivePond9649 

There are violent cases? What if someone has some kind of trauma etc, do they get an "out"? 

load more
User Profile: emilystar
emilystar Monday

nope, mostly nobody wants to do it. they will ignore it for months until they get hit with a fat bill and be forced to go. so people usually come up with a reason to get out of it by claiming they're biased (ex. i'm racist, homophobic, etc.) and cannot judge properly. they don't need proof or anything.

User Profile: Torean
Torean Monday

Personally, I agree that it's a massive hassle. Some people want to do it, and workplaces have no choice but to give you the time off. Still. I've been summoned, I believe, seven times. I think the average for a person is twice, some people never get summoned at all. I forget how it works, but you have to check in with them. Only two of the cases I was summoned to went to trial, but they still select a subset of the people summoned, and they didn't select me either time. I still had to show up multiple times to jury duty related stuff, and I couldn't really afford to lose the time from work.

@QuietWillow00

Basically you are summoned to be part of a jury. You can only be excused if you have a really good reason... I think they try to get a lot of people from different places so that it's harder for them to be bought? And also it seems really stressful to me, but I guess some people might like being part of it.

User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 3 days ago

@QuietWillow00

I did jury duty once. It wasn't any big scandalous case, we got a nice lunch both days and I got out of work. So it was nice. Some people hate it and avoid it at all costs. Some people love doing it and consider it their duty as a US citizen. I really don't care either way. I found it fascinating as I had never been to court before. 

load more

@jesusredeemedme2425 Do they really make children swear allegiance every morning?

12 replies
User Profile: emilystar
emilystar Monday

for me, in elementary and middle school yes. but nobody knows what theyre actually saying, theyre just saying it mindlessly. to me it was a waste of time; everybody just pretended to do it

2 replies

@emilystar Ah ok, I'd been picturing it a little like a north Korea situation! Sounds like it's a little less like that.

1 reply
User Profile: emilystar
emilystar Monday

omg haha yeahh 😭🤍

load more
load more

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

It’s an honor. But no one is made to say it or forced.

6 replies

@WhimsicalWhimsy Why is it an "honor"? If it isn't something mandated/forced do you think everyone would be happy if they changed it for people to just do at home if they felt like it?

5 replies

It’s not something people would do at home.

4 replies

We are proud to be Americans (maybe not so much right now 😜 but it will get better)

1 reply
User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 3 days ago

@WhimsicalWhimsy

Love this hope and optimism! 💖

load more

@WhimsicalWhimsy Why wouldn't people do it at home? I might be missing something? 

1 reply

Its basically a school thing mostly, mostly kids. Idk why people do it. It's just a thing lol

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 3 days ago

@magicallyApricot9947

Yes, in my day, we were made to do this every day in school. You stood up and did the pledge. You didn't fight it until high school. Then two of us did not stand. We got sent to the principals office and grilled for an hour about why we did not stand for the pledge. The principal said to me, and I quote, "You are playing a dangerous game." Playing a dangerous game by not standing for the pledge. What is that? 

Personally I find it ridiculous and I don't know if they do it every day still or not but I hope not. 

@magicallyApricot9947

you are not forced but you are strongly encouraged and it is seen as respect to everyone who has died for our country in my opinion

load more
User Profile: Luminity125
Luminity125 Monday

@jesusredeemedme2425

So I wanna ask, in America... 

Y'all are allowed to drink at 13!? 

Date and ahem get physical during highschool?! 

Parents kick you out at 18? 

Schooling is free and college is wayyy too expensive? 

People have swimming pools in their backyards? 

(Random things I gathered from some shows and books 🤷🏻‍♀️) 

7 replies

@Luminity125 drinking age is 21

@Luminity125

Drinking age 21

Age of consent varies by state and some of the states are insane. Same with how young you can be to get married. 🫣 in my view if you can't drink legally you can't get married because what do you do if you have a stressful day? Pop a chocolate milk?

Public school is free but people can go private instead which can be super expensive.

College is not free. Community College is less expensive but costs plenty. Lots of College kids work and try to get scholarships or they get saddled with 100k or more in student debt loan with a high interest rate on the loan and it takes years to pay off.

Yes we have pools but depends where you are. Arizona and super hot places have pools.

As for getting kicked out at 18, that is the age it's legal to kick them out. Each family handles that different. Some help support their kid through College or their first job financially, some have adult kids move home because rent is too high. But yeah as soon as you're 18 parents don't have to let you stay. They can evict you and it's legal to do it.

User Profile: emilystar
emilystar Monday

noo! drinking age is legally 21 but people are allowed to drink at whatever age in their own home (privately.)

yes dating is very common and normalized, and some people do get physical during high school (we have a program that gives out free condoms! theres also sex education.)

yes some parents do kick you out at 18; it depends per family. its not thaattt common because of the poor economy.

yess public school (elementary to high school) is free and lunch is free. private school may differ, though. and yess college is very expensive but there is a lot of needs based financial aid and scholarships, and in-state college is a lot cheaper.

i actually see a lot of people with them! even living more north of united states where its more cold.

but sadly america is not a lot like the shows and books 😔 i still dont have a superpower in high school 💔

Drinking at age 13? No!! The legal drinking age is 21 with the exception of Texas which allows beer drinking at age 18 (I think).

Sex in high school? Umm. Only half the students but I never saw them. 😜

Bad parents might kick a child out but no one I know has done that.

School is free through high school. Community college (covers the first two years) is inexpensive and the students live at home so no room or food expenses. State University (3rd and 4th years) is manageable. Private Universities (3rd and 4th years) is more costly.

Lots of people have swimming pools in their backyards. I did when my kids were growing up and we lived in very hot climate.

User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 3 days ago

@Luminity125

We are not legally able to purchase alcohol ourselves until 21. No that does not stop us. I started drinking when I was 12. Big surprise I turned out to be an alcoholic. Yes a lot of us behave inappropriately when we're young. I know I did! I had a great time. Do I recommend it? No, but I don't regret it either. :) 

Parents do not kick you out at 18. You are a legal adult at 18, and they are no longer responsible for you. Some parents tell you to start being an adult. Some will now ask for rent and help to pay the bills. Some won't. Mine didn't. I was a student. Your parents can still be responsible for some things when you're a student, but if you're not, you're responsible. 

Schooling is only free at state colleges in my state. 

Lots of people have swimming pools. It's very common :) 

@Luminity125

lemme answer all of these in order

no its 21 books are just CRAZY sometimes

I mean most of us aren't given permission by our parents but do it anyways (not me I'm literally the singlest person ever)

depends on the family but for the most part no where I live

yes pretty much lmao besides community college that's usually pretty cheap

only people with a LOT of money

User Profile: Luminity125
Luminity125 2 days ago

@Luminity125

Lolll y'all these replies are so informative and funny 😆 thanks for sharing 🫶🏻

load more

I’m happy to answer any and all questions!

If i come visit, will people insult me and be mean to me and pull off my hijab?

3 replies

I live in California and we are accepting of everyone! I hope you come and visit. No one would touch you or be mean.

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but NYC has a pretty big Muslim population and we are generally very welcoming to all faiths and cultures ❤️

User Profile: TovaCares76
TovaCares76 3 days ago

@redTortoise8959

You need to come to my state. :) We have a large Muslim population and are very welcoming of all people! 

load more

@jesusredeemedme2425 I see comments like, is education banned in America, i know it's much reduced and what do you think about it tho

4 replies

Education isn't banned here! I was homeschooled and LOVED it <3

2 replies

@jesusredeemedme2425 i was trying to be satire , but okay xdd 🤣

1 reply

Ohhh lol

load more
load more

@blissfulSoul2956

no actually you legally have to go to receive education in most places

load more

@CubicCube42