Best way to get over feeling like you'll be embarrassed in public?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

fairybunny
Try and put yourself in someone else's shoes. If you saw a stranger in public, how much attention would you give them? Would you care as deeply about what they were doing? People don't have much interest in a stranger's day!
Anonymous
The way to get over fear of embarrassment in public is to get out there and go through it. after going through a situation and experience it becomes easier each time.
Becca0926 - Expert in Anxiety
It's helpful to realize that in public, people aren't watching you and looking at you as much as you think they are! Even if you do something embarrassing, people forget about it. If you do feel embarrassed, act like you aren't! No one will remember.
Meowbuddy
I found the best way to stop worrying that I might be embarrassed in public was to realise that I definitely WOULD, at some point in the future, embarrass myself in public! So what's the point in fighting it? It might sound counterintuitive. But I realised, life is full of awkward moments. I can be socially clumsy – just like a lot of people. So the best thing for me to do was to see the humour in it, and try to laugh at myself. And not beat myself up if I was awkward. I can honestly say I have had countless embarrassing moments, but I can't remember any of them, because there are so many other nice moments that went well, so it all balances out. So don't fear your awkwardness! Embrace it :) In yourself and in others. Also, reading about the Illusion of Transparency helps. It's a relevation when you realise other people can't read your mind or your behaviour nearly as much as you think they can. http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/07/14/the-illusion-of-transparency/
considerateCloud58
Don't care about what people think, hold your head up high and just remember that it only matters what you think
Anonymous
The best way I have of getting over feeling embarrassed in public is to go to the place beforehand if possible to get over my fears of not knowing how to get there on the day of the event. On that day I dress in my favorite outfit so I have confidence in how I look. I also remind myself that people are generally worrying about themselves in social situations not what everybody else is doing. i try to keep the self talk positive and finally I make it a goal to enjoy myself
lovelyUnicorns31
You are going to dwell on the event more than anyone else. Most of the time people don't notice the embarrassing things I do, and if they do notice, I have to remind myself that they have probably forgotten about it soon after. They have more interesting/important things to think about. I know when I witness something embarrassing, all I think is "I'm glad that wasn't me", and they're probably thinking the same.
Anonymous
I like to shrugged everything and think they will never see me again because they are just stranger
Anonymous
Is to do a lot of public speaking. I have done so many speeches in college that I no longer have that fear. Also having a friend with you, if possible, helps too. Just be yourself and laugh things off. Don't let little things get to you.
DancingAlong
Remember that very few people are actually looking at you. Think about how you act when you walk down a busy street. You glance around, take in the sights, make sure no one is in your way. You aren't actively watching for individuals to do something silly or embarrassing. Everyone else is doing the same!
brirose23
I try to just take some deep breaths and think realistically. I remind myself that a lof of my worry is all in my head and that I not everyone is watching me. I also try to minimize my time alone in public. It helps a lot when I have a friend of family member with me. Also, if you are prescribed something, try to take a PRN or anxiety medication before going into public places that may be overly crowded.
Justanotherfangirl
I recommend counting back from 1000 in 9's, it takes your mind off of it and you feel incredibly smart after
Anonymous
Laugh it off yourself!! cause that way they won't be doing it for you, and you'll also be perceived as confident!
scenicSunshine18
You just have to remember that embarrassment is all in your mind. You have to remember that the opinions of others do not matter and that embarrassment only happens when you allow yourself to believe what other people are thinking.
empatheticrachel
To not overthink it. A lot of the times you think people are focusing on you are looking at you and really they are thinking of other things. So you add stress that’s unnecessary to feel as if I others opinions or stairs should matter. Be your authentic self because those who judge are worth it and those who find it funny or find it as a way to be there for you are the ones that will make you feel fine. Remember that no one will remember this in a couple days or even a day and hour who knows
xxashleighmorganxx
Everyone has different ways of dealing with things,has something happened in the past that mad you feel like this?
Anonymous
Remember everyone is just a person, we are all human and we all make mistakes. Even the most important people you can think of make mistakes.