How do I know if I have social anxiety?

Australia

Lauren Brody, Bachelor in Psychological Science, Advanced Diploma in Counselling and Psychology

I work in supporting individuals in reclaiming their lives from overwhelming thoughts and emotions and help them to take control

Anonymous
When I'm in a group situation and start to feel awkward and as though I'm going to jump through my skin and run for the hills.
Anonymous
You will know that you have a social anxiety when you feel like going out and living your life to the fullest, but you don't because you are afraid. You will be afraid of large groups of people, and any kind of gathering. Your palm will get sweaty, you might start having breathing problems, your heartrate will increase… People with social anxiety, sometimes, but not always, have problems with speaking. They tend to stutter. If they feel that society is putting too much pressure on them at some specific moment, their hands will start to shake and they will feel lightheaded.
Anonymous
First of all, you can look at the symptoms of social anxiety online. However, bear in mind that self-diagnosis can sometimes be harmful and actually make the problem worse. To know for sure if you have social anxiety, you should get a professional opinion from a psychologist/psychotherapist or an official diagnosis from a psychiatrist.