If I told a counselor that I constantly have thoughts of hurting people I love, but would NEVER act out my thoughts would I have to be committed?

Jamitia Wilson, MS, LAC

I believe that true healing occurs when one is able to honestly express how one feels about himself/herself and the world. I would be honored to support your healing change.

Calmseas76
No not at all. The only reasons a person can be involuntarily psychiatry hospitalized would be if they were a danger to self or others or unable to care for themselves. Having thoughts of harming self or others would not be a reason to hospitalize as long as the person can contract for safety convincingly...by saying they don’t intend to act on the thoughts. As long as the person is sufficiently rational and in control of their behavior (not acting recklessly, endangering self or others), then their would be little reason to question their commitment to safety. We all have fleeting thoughts about various things in life, but that doesn’t mean we have to act on them.
EndlesslyDreaming
November 21st, 2017 3:50pm
I would say no. they are only supposed to commit someone if they have specific plans to hurt themselves for others.
Anonymous
I'm not an expert, but I don't believe so. For minors, if they say something like that, then their parents have to be notified. For those over the age of 18, if you make it explicitly clear that you would never act on these feelings, they shouldn't be able to do anything about it. However, I don't know all of the laws.
Anonymous
Even if you showed your counselor with evidence that you hurt others at times it is unnecessary to make a scenario of an event when they can work it out with you based on information you had given them.