Is it normal to feel uncomfortable moving and talking during an anxiety or panic attack?

Smita Joshi, BA Psychology / MA / Advanced EFT Practitioner

I am empathetic with my Clients going through emotional overwhelm and passionate in helping them. I am supportive, openminded & interactive in helping my clients.

Anonymous
Well I am always incredibly anxious. But when my anxiety gets too much then my entire body freezes a I can't talk to people
uniqueHeart93
In my experience yes i get really uncomfortable moving and talking and usually just want to be left completely alone during one.
Anonymous
I say yes. But there are techniques to quell the storm of these feelings. believing you can works. ask more questions of the other to shift the focus off of yourself. It will calm you down.
RideMikeRide
If you're experiencing either anxiety or a panic attack, it's normal to feel as if you cannot either move or talk! Breath and realize these feelings will pass!
iWalkBesideDylan
Yes, it's absolutely normal. During an anxiety attack your nerves take over your body with so much tension, hence regular supple movement may become rather uncomfortable.
AlexandriaJ
Extremely! Panic/anxiety attacks are a total body experience. Depending on how you experience them, you might be unable to move (or, like you said, feel uncomfortable). Other people may be able to continue walking without feeling uncomfortable, but still be experiencing an anxiety/panic attack.
DreamsandHope
Yes. But it also depends upon the situation and person. Some times it provide comfort but other time it feels like pain.
trisjlistens
August 3rd, 2015 10:02am
It is, because you are feeling anxious and you don't know what to do so your initial impulse would be to feel uncomfortable with yourself.
youdontknowme
Completely! One who's undergoing such a hard experience shouldn't be expected to walk or talk. However, if a person prefers walking and talking during their attack then that's completely up to them.
SunshineCeline
I feel that it is. Often, I feel trapped inside of myself when I'm experiencing anxiety. I do not want to talk to anyone, except for my boyfriend, and, even though it isn't good for me, I want to be alone with myself and my thoughts.
AutumnLeigh
DEFINITELY, yes, it is. Because of probable raised blood pressure, you may feel tingling in your extremities, Also weakness in those areas. You may feel your tongue is dry and swollen or a number of other symptoms! If you possible can, during these episodes, please try to get to a position where you lie on the floor and place your entire legs up upon a couch or chair. This brings blood to the brain and is similar to a 'tilt-table' relief provided in hospitals. Doing this and breathing in through the nose for 6 counts and out through the mouth 6 counts. should provide relief. Also, ALWAYS check in with your doctor to make sure your physical health is fine so you can reassure yourself during attacks that you AREN'T going to die or be permanently injured. As a panic/anxiety attack survivor, I know al these to be key! Try to isolate yourself, if you can, to perform these exercises during an attack and make it through. :)
Anonymous
yes this is absolutely normal to behave this way. However do try some anxiety relieving exercises to overcome the situation.
Anonymous
Yes, it is common for people to get stiff in their hands, feet, and legs during a panic attack. It's also hard to talk within the tears and hyperventilating of a panic attack.
Anonymous
Absolutely, oftentimes panic attacks can make you feel like you cannot move at all and your thoughts may become louder than usual, making talking difficult. Most activities would feel uncomfortable during a state of heightened anxiety or panic.
Anonymous
It is normal to feel uncomfortable moving and talking during an anxiety or panic attack because you're afraid what will happen next and when you remain in one spot you feel more safer then.
Anonymous
It can be. Most anxiety or panic attacks are different for everyone. Some people may just sweat alot, others may have chest pain and shallow breath. So, that could very well be normal. :)