What's the best way to stop being afraid of discrimination?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

Anonymous
Discrimination is a part of social life. Every person has a mind-set in which they think that a group of people deserve more than others. The best way to stop being afraid of it is by not caring what other think. Other thoughts and mind-set shouldn't affect you, its their thinking not yours and the only way you are harming yourself is by letting it affect you.
Anonymous
When you see it, confront it, and know that you have made the world a better place for the next person.
Anonymous
Be your own person. Do what makes you happy focus on your own life. You cant change what people think but you can change how you react to it
LilyFlowers
By accepting that discrimination happens. I have a lot about me that people discriminate against me for. What can I do about it? Nothing. Nor does it truly matter. It just gives us good information of who we should spend our time with.
peacefulCat41
Work to be your best self and then those who love you will continue to love you and those who don't, they don't really matter so much. If you are right with you and your conscience, that is the best thing.
Nassi121
When you learn to love yourself, everything around you becomes beautiful, and when they discriminate, you learn to overlook it.
Anonymous
November 2nd, 2015 1:31am
Being self-confident! If they receive the message, great! If don't, you will always be fine Trying to convince someone who wont give up may cause you damages There are group or individual therapies focused on your demand, many many professionals able to help you in your way to self-confidence!
emmaleethealpha
To love yourself and be comfortable in your own skin. You are powerful and strong . People can't drag you down unless you let them. Stay strong .
Anonymous
I can't say what's the "best" way for everyone, since dealing with our fears is a very individual matter. What works for you may not be the best way of going about it for somebody else, and visa versa. However, one thing that you can do can be to surround yourself with open, honest, non-discriminatory people in your life. When you stop feeling discriminated against (by removing discriminatory people from your circle of friends, coworkers, etc), perhaps you will also be less afraid of it. For example, how afraid are you of getting polio if you don't see people suffering from it every day?
rodentCult
the world is a scary place and that fear is understandable. if you are afraid of violence against you, it is (depending on your location) within your rights to carry small weapons or pepper spray with you. consider going places in groups. there are apps that are used to make emergency calls with the press of a button.
Sittingwithyou
Personally, one thing I found helpful was the realization that I was expecting a negative reaction, even before I received it. When I recognized this, I could see that going into a situation or interaction expecting the worst might have seemed like self-protection, but actually was not setting up the dynamic for success and sometimes led to false assumptions. Now, I try to assume the best going in, which leaves more emotional energy for when things really do go awry.
To stand up for yourself and don't be afraid or hide from people who you think are not treating you fairly. They are usually cowards.
Freedomtochoose
Unfortunately, it surrounds us. Continue to be true to yourself, and treat people exactly, how you would want to be treated.
Yocan18
I don't think you ever get over being afraid of discrimination. I do think you can shrink into a manageable fear though, by knowing exactly what situations this may occur and and getting ready your responses ahead of time. This will help with most cases. There will always be a surprise time when it comes up out of the blue. Best to take some deep breaths, process and revisit the situation another time if you can....don't always react in the moment, put some thought into it...There are all different ways to be discriminated against for all different reasons. It's best to work with the acknowledge the fear but don't let it stop you from experiencing life.