Why do I always think badly about my abilities?

Tim Van Rheenen, M.A., LMFT

I will work to help you get unstuck. Together we will apply methodologies that work to find freedom from trauma, sexually addictive behaviors, and relational problems.

Anonymous
Because you focus on the things you can't do very well instead of focusing on things that you can do very well.
ArtChoosestheArtist
I asked this question of a friend once, and they told me that I have "tapes" in my head. Things that other people said to me about my abilities. I thought about that, and my friend was right. I started surrounding myself with positive people who helped replace those negative tapes with positive ones. I started saying affirmations, and by doing these things alone I noticed that my perspective started to change regarding my abilities.
Anonymous
It's much easier for people to believe the worst than it I to believe the best. Therefore, people are more likely to feel bad about themselves or believe that they aren't very good/talented/nice etc. whereas other people may see you as very talented. It seems to be human nature to believe that there is always going to be someone better than you. We just need to try to embrace what we're good at and accept what we're not.
amorvincitomnia143
Its natural to have self doubt, but I always try to find the best qualities I have and focus there..
heavenPurple92
Sounds like low self esteem. Try saying some positive affirmation to yourself each day, do things that you love doing. If you genuinely feel you're lacking in specific aspects of yourself try working on them :) Just remember though, only do things if you want to, not because you think it's what others want from you. Take care and good luck :)
Anonymous
Sometimes, when we're feeling low, depressed, or otherwise negatively, that negativity can spread to all aspects of our being. That includes our own skills and abilities. Low self-esteem often derives itself from our emotional state, and thus radiates out to everything we do. Just remember, there are good parts of you!
gentleBeauty54
i think i do that because i am harsher then anyone else on myself and i am my own worst enemy at times! My head talk sometimes especially when i am depressed is usually mean!
Riyeruu
Hi.. Good day ! Maybe you are afraid of something ? Could it be? Maybe you are afraid to fall and commit mistakes. You should be brave .. Face your own fears ;) be fierce enough .. I know you can do it .. :) it can also be self issue and all you have to do is embrace yourself .. :D Thank you ! :) I hope it helps..
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2015 10:05pm
Well, that is because you are suffering from low self confidence. You have to start loving yourself much more
Anonymous
You have a lot of capabilities that you have to discover and with these capabilities you can find your purpose so don't think badly about your abilities because you did not discover them yet and some of them are special abilities that nobody has!!
Some people lack self-confidence and always see themselves as less able than others which in reality is not the case
kindDreamer9743
This down to the lack of self esteem and belief in ones self from an early age and that is the job of a parent to install that feature as well as confidence, so as soon as you come across something that you would like to do my thoughts are im to old to young to small not clever enough, to think badly of abilities to me is like have a tattoo from birth and it stays with you, my lack of confidence feeds the thought of thinking badly of my abilities where it reaches the point where i get angry or jus not bother at all.
Bethanylovely2648
I can understand how you are feeling. I have felt similar feelings. Sometimes the more we know the more we feel that we do not know. It's easier to make ourselves feel self conscious and less deserving that it is to be proudful of ourselves. I think it's important to recognize why you feel bad about your abilities, and then remind yourself 3 times where your abilities did something good for you or made you proud? Or when you start to think bad try to tell yourself "that is not true" and try to counter the thought with another happy thought you have about yourself.