How long will it take me to get over my previous partner/friend?

Tim Van Rheenen, M.A., LMFT

I will work to help you get unstuck. Together we will apply methodologies that work to find freedom from trauma, sexually addictive behaviors, and relational problems.

Carriekats120
Well there isn't an exact answer but maybe talking about your feelings will help you get through this rough time
aamdna
It varies from person to person; some take just a few weeks, some can take years even! I find that keeping busy and being with others helps speed up the process a lot. I wish you luck :)
Brittneym101
April 22nd, 2015 12:47am
There is no set time in which you can get over someone that has to happen on it's own and that may take months, weeks, days and even years. It just depends on how much you really loved and cared about this person.
Anonymous
That is all up to you. Many people are different, I can give you advice but it could turn out to be unhelpful, in the end of the day you are the one that makes the choice.
GratefulSpring
May 3rd, 2015 11:27am
Sometimes someone special in our life ends up leaving it for one reason or another. In my own experience, I have found this to be saddening, and cause feelings of loneliness. For a few months, I even felt hopeless that someone (or something) else special would come into my life to fill that hole in my heart. I had tried taking up new hobbies, working harder, but none of it helped me. One day, I stumbled upon this website, and however cheesy it may sound, I feel in love with it. Simply having someone to talk to really helped me get my life back on track, and feel understood. Later, I became a listener, and being able to help others through their problems made me feel even better. In the end, you just have to find whatever it is that makes you happy.
Anonymous
Only you can determine how long it will take for you to get over your previous partner/friend. Everyone is different and handles things differently. You have to find the best way that works for you in moving on from someone/something.
Rosyunicorns
It depends on your feelings. Mostly, the first step to forget someone is to forgive and move on. If it somehow ended because of something wrong that you did, then you need to apologize for it and make them understand that you really are sorry. If it ended because of what your partner/friend did, then you need to forgive them and understand that holding grudges will only make it worse. Once you forgive you will move on with your life, find your peace of mind, and hopefully start to build new feelings whether through a friendship or a relationship!
lovelyOcean15
It depends, no matter how long it will take, but give ourselves a timeframe for moving on. That would be more effective.
Anonymous
That is up to you and your heart. There is no set date that say you need to be over him/her by now. However long it takes for you!
Anonymous
I would say it depends how much you loved them, say if it was a lot then I would personally say it is a lot harder to get over cause of what you felt towards them.
Anonymous
ashmiblue
Exactly the amount of time you'd take to realise that you're more important than anyone else. Love yourself first!
Anonymous
It just depends on how attached you were. The best thing to do to help get over them is to find something that can take your mind off of them, but don't do anything harmful to yourself or others.
Nahsha
It'll take however long you make it take. If you need to heal, then that'll take time. But if you continue to linger over the thought of no longer being with them, then that'll take longer. Push the thoughts out your head as much as you can. Each day it'll get better. Keep that up and eventually ,you'll find yourself thinking of other things.
Anonymous
Getting over people can be difficult. If I loved a person, it takes me months, sometimes years to move on.
Anonymous
It depends on the what the relationship was like, the breakup, and how you feel about it. It can take a week, weeks, months, or years. Everyone is different.
CatKraken2
Honestly, it depends on who they where, what you and them did, and how long it lasted. Finding other people is a very tricky thing to do, but it begins by saying hello and going a little more out of your comfort zone. For example, the boy with the shirt that has a reference you understand? Tell him and compliment that epic shirt! Don't be afraid of all people because of on person.
magnanimousStrawberry75
Everyone is different and no one answer can sum up the time span. It all depends on you, whenever you heal and figure out how to move on from the person.
neverendingStar20
Everyone is different when it involves getting over someone. Some take weeks, other months, and other years. The important thing to know is that you will get over them, and you will be happy soon. Just give it time :)
Depending on how long your relationship was with him/her and how reliable you were on him/her.
positivePower46
As long as you decide on that. We always try to live in past and find difficult to come over of it. The minute you start thinking that you want to get over by your Partner/Friend start working towards it. it will not take much time.
CarefreeApricot
Unfortunately, it's different for everyone. It really depends on the person. For some, it can take a couple of weeks. For others, it can take years. And it's natural to feel impatient with this sort of process. But it will eventually happen.
Anonymous
It depends on how long and how intense the relationship was really. So if you had a longer and deeper relationship with somebody the healing process might take a while...
Anonymous
it can take a long time, but eventually you will get over them, even if it takes years. Try to distract yourself from them, get rid of belongings of theirs or things that remind you of them. Also do remember that your allowed to feel sad, to miss them, even tho you two broke up. Everyone gets over a breakup at a different speed, so dont beat yourself up for the speed that your getting over it.