Why do kids call their parents by their first name?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

Anonymous
I say that children are used to it because they were either never corrected or they just don't want to listen
happy22icecream
Children sometimes start to call there parents by there first name mostly in there teenage years. It often happens because the child is upset by something and the parent has something to do with it. Now, if that starts to happen, you need to confront you child and talk about it. But, you have to do it gently.
shvrry
Some kids don't have full respect for their parents, in my opinion. Or, some kids must've been adopted and don't feel the need to call them "mom" or "dad".
Anonymous
I do it because it is a boundry I put up between us. It helps me to have a relationship with them without the emotional baggage that comes with my family. I think some others might to it because it is funny. I'm sure people have their own reasons!
Anonymous
Some parents and children prefer calling their parents by their first name, I guess itโ€™s beacuse it makes them feel more grown up.
Anonymous
Because some parents raise their children that way. Or because a child got adopted and isn't comfortable with calling them mum & dad (or mum&mum or dad&dad)
Anonymous
Because of the good bond they have. You call people outside your family by their last name, because it shows a certain amount of respect, but also distance, which shouldn't be in a family relationship
Anonymous
January 22nd, 2016 8:24am
Possibly the parents feel strange using the names "Mom" and "Dad" and see their kids as not just offspring, but good friends.
Anonymous
Mayb because they are not used to calling them mom and dad so they say that because they are kids :)
shiningSky15
Well kids in early ages repeat all what they heard so if they hear someone else calling their parents by their names they'll surly call them the same
Caringmagic60
Some kids think it's cool to call like that. Some think it's friendly, more close.. Some do that because others do
bambooPanda15
Some time it is because their parents could be divorces or just find out their parents name even in some cases it could be a step parent
darlingyouregorgeous
I don't know why some kids call their parents by their first names, but sometimes it may be because that is the kind of relationship that they have with their parents and what they are used to. Lots of families have different things that they call their parents.
dreamwithmelovers31
i guess its kind of more impersonal ? like if you dont have a great relationship with your parents then some people call them by their first name
BouncyTurtleDream
Based on my experience, when kids call their parents by their first name it may mean that they want to severe the tie that connects them to their parents.
Truckerwife08
Sometimes its what the parents what to be called for what ever reason or because their mad. It could be a number of reasons
Anonymous
February 3rd, 2016 9:48pm
Kids see people call them by their first name, so they start doing it. Or maybe just to show anger.
Anonymous - Expert in Family Stress
This may be due to cultural differences or differences between families. Some families feel comfortable with children calling their parents by their first name. Other times children want to lay down a barrier to let the parent know where they stand in the relationship (usually occurs with step parents) or some may do this as a sign of disrespect.
Anonymous
Usually kids call their parents by their first name because they are in close relationship. Years ago they called mr and mrs but it's something normal to call your mom/dad by the first name.
Oluwa
There can be many reasons why kids do this and it varies greatly across different cultures. Many cultures would find it very disrespectful for children to address their parents/elders by first name. Especially in some western cultures, parents allow their kids to address them by their first name after a certain age. It may be seen as some sort of minor rite of passage. Once a child is of teenage years, they may prefer to address their parent by name rather than mum/mummy etc. Providing the parents are comfortable with this arrangement as well. Additionally, it is fair to say that on some occasions the use of 1st name to a parent can also be a deliberate act of disrespect if parent and child are not comfortable with the form of address,
Anonymous
When the kids call their parents by their first name, it's mean the kids trying to be friend with their parents.
I think this depends on culture. Like in some countries if the child calls their parents by their names it is considered rude/ disrespectful.
Anonymous
February 21st, 2016 1:06pm
well it depends like if they call their mother by their first name because their father must be calling their mother by her first name so habits come from that.
Anonymous
Some kids do it because their parents didnt raise them to call them mom or dad or the kids dont care and rather call them by that. Sometimes youll be surprise the parent taught them to call them by their first name
Anonymous
Most don't, but if they do it might be for something related to respect or preference, it all depends on the family and how they were raised really
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 11:47am
I believe that it is their personal choice and until they're not your kids you shouldn't be actually worried about it if they're alright with it.
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 5:06pm
It can depend, some parents allow their kids to call them by their first name, and sometimes it's the kid disrespecting their parents.
Tiffany43
March 3rd, 2016 3:12am
When a child first utters a parent's name, in lieu of "mom" or "dad," he/she is taking the first unchartered steps toward independence.
MaddieMay825
Kids tend to call their parents by their first names when feeling like they aren't close enough anymore to call them parental nicknames, or when they feel like they are getting to old to do so. It could be from a comfort stance or from a perspective age stance.
Kayla252
I sometimes call my parents by their first name because they are more responsive to that then just 'mom' or 'dad'. Especially if I need to get their attention immediately.