How do I know if I am transgender?

How do I know if I am transgender?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW, LICSW

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

Anonymous
No one can tell you for sure, but there are some questions you can ask yourself to help with questioning. - If I could press a button tomorrow and be male/female (as applicable) would I? - Would I feel more comfortable being perceived as male/female (as applicable) - When you think about the future, do you see yourself comfortable living every day as that gender? You could try small, safe, steps which will help you to know. A different haircut, changing the way you dress, all these things and you comfort levels can help you to understand your own feelings about your gender and the way you express it.
Anonymous
Only you can know you. Knowing in your heart and mind what feels right. Listening to yourself and trusting that you will take the right path :)
Anonymous
It would be in your best internist to seek information out on this topic and know the In's and Out's of the Topic. And its something that your going to have to find out on your own if your in this topic area.
imnotahero16
Feeling as if your trapped in your body. As if, you know your one thing but your body tells you that your wrong, and that you dont belong with those genitalia or looks
StayHumble
Start by asking your parents when you were a child what did you like to play with, and simply ask questions about your childhood.
Anonymous
You know that you're a transgender if you are sexually attracted to someone who has the same gender with you.
Joseph394
When the skin you're in just isn't quite on right. When you feel like you're in the wrong body or that the right body for you doesn't really exist.
BeAwesomeUK
It depends on how you feel and what makes you be the happiest the most. It what makes you, you. It's what you believe in, what feels right to no-one but you.
SquishyRaspberries
If you feel as if you do not fit the gender you were assigned at birth, it's likely you're transgender. These feelings can manifest in a variety of different ways, and can sometimes change as time passes and you venture further into self-discovery. After all, the only person who knows how you truly feel is you.
SolarisAntares
Whilst sex refers to the biological sexual organs we are born with, gender is related to the way individuals identify themselves. If in your mind you feel that the biological sex that you were born with doesn't match up with the gender you identify with in your mind, then it is likely that you are transgender.
Rebecca
This is a great question! It's also not too easy to answer. Figuring out your gender can be a long journey. I encourage you to "experiment" by introducing yourself as a different gender than the one you currently identify as. A safe place to do this would be in one of the support rooms or community rooms here at 7 Cups. This can help you to see if you like being a member of a different gender more, and see what resonates with you. I also encourage you to do some reading about the stories of different transgender men and women. Many of the people in that community have gone through these same struggles and questioning periods that you may be going through now, and their experiences may help you to figure out who you are. Most importantly, don't hesitate to take your time with this. Some people know really quickly how they want to identify, and others don't figure it out until they are much older. I'm sure you've heard of Caitlyn Jenner a lot recently. She is an example of how it can take half your life to truly figure out who you are, but how it is okay to take your time. I wish you the best of luck in this journey! If you ever need support during your explorations, I highly encourage that you connect with a listener who specializes in LGBTQ+ conversations. They may have some great resources to help you out, and can be a great ally. You aren't alone!
punkpaintedlies
If you are transgender, you'll feel that your gender is not the same as the gender you were assigned at birth. So, if when you were born, the doctor said "It's a girl!', being transgender would mean that you do not feel like a girl. Or vice versa, if you were born and the doctor said "It's a boy!", you would not feel like a boy.
Anonymous
Someone who is transgender has basically switched genders. You will know if you want to switch genders because you may have a total dislike for the one you currently are.
Anonymous
You will feel it. But there is no need to label yourself. Follow your heart and do as you feel. If you relate more with the opposite gender, than do more of that
Happylittleme
you will know if you are love, it will come to you. It might not be right now but when it does you will know.
greendream21
Do you feel like you are trapped in a body that does not match who you are? If you feel like the body you have is not what matches who you are inside, you may be transgender.
TehRingmaster
It took me a long time to define it for myself. Being born female I had always wanted to play with traditional "boy" toys. Even from a young age I was displeased with me genitals and felt that they didn't fit. Over time I found more and more that I didn't really identify with my gender given at birth. A lot of knowing is how you define yourself and how you'd like the world to perceive you. It's all part of a process that can take some time to fully understand. Get in tune with yourself, discover what masculinity and femininity mean to you, decide how you'd want the world to see you and what would make you happiest.
Anonymous
Try assuming roles of the opposite gender to see if you enjoy it. Dressing up is one way to test that theory.
BubblyDoll
Only you can know. If you don't feel like the gender you were assigned at birth, then you are transgender. You may feel male, female, neutral, genderfluid, several of those, none of those... It is all up to you to define who you are, and that's what wonderful!
Inthismomentweareinfinite
Ask yourself if you are comfortable in the skin you are in and if not try out something new. For example if you are uncomfortable in girly attire try something on the boy-ish side. Try to find your comfort zone.
Noah88
What I usually ask people is if they can tell me how they would see themselves in a perfect world. How do they look, how do they function, how do people treat them? Who are you when you could change everything to how you'd want it to be? If part of that perfect world is you being the other sex (or plain gender, if your body is less important to you), you've got your answer. In short: if you're more comfortable identifying with another gender, then you could be, but this is one question only you can answer.
BLMlove15
I can't answer that for you. I'm sorry. I'm sure there are other resources available that can assist you in figuring that out. Youtube may help.
Anonymous
i think you just know. if you have a feeling that the gender you were assigned at birth doesn't match the gender you identify with, you probably are transgender.
optimisticKoala39
transgender individuals have an innate feeling that they are physically in the wrong body gender-wise.
TalkToMe21
A lot of my transgendered peers have talked about feeling wrong in their own bodies. Looking weird in clothes typically associated with their sex (Women uncomfortable in dresses/ skirts and men uncomfortable in baggy jeans and polos).
Anonymous
When your outside doesn't fit your inside. When you look at yourself in the mirror and you see someone that is completely different. You get the uneasy feeling in your stomach when people use the wrong pronouns, the sound of your birthname makes you sick, and wearing clothes of the other gender make you the most comfortable. You don't feel like you're YOU.
Whitepawlove
You feel dyhshoria in your own body. Your gender doesn't match your birth sex. You want to be the opposite gender. If you were trans, you would want to be someone else
CharlotteBanana97
Most transgender people know that they are transgender from a young age and will mainly know because they don't feel comfortable in their skin as the gender they are now.
Emily619
You know if you are transgender if you have the feeling that you are wither a female stuck in a male's body, or a male stuck in a female's body. It's perfectly fine to feel this way :) If you ever need help, you can chat anytime with any listener here. We are here to help you! Also, http://www.translifeline.org/ is a great site as well! Take care.
Anonymous
If you were born a male (sexually), but you feel like a women you are transgender. If you were born a female (sexually), but feel like a man you are transgender. Things like sex changes, hormone treatments, or anything really is just part of it. You can do nothing about it and you will still be transgender.