Why do I always cause physical harm to myself or others during a Panic Attack?

Tim Van Rheenen, M.A., LMFT

I will work to help you get unstuck. Together we will apply methodologies that work to find freedom from trauma, sexually addictive behaviors, and relational problems.

Anonymous
When you are having a panic attack, there is a large release of hormones, and as a coping method for it self harm is done due to the fact that when you participate in self harm your body releases a hormone known as endorphins, and it causes you to experience relief. I can relate to this due to the fact that when I have a panic attack I tend to self harm and in all honest opinion it gives a sense of euphoria, even though I am fully aware it is not healthy.
LilyFlowers
Because your panicking and confused. You know pokemon?? How a pokemon can hurt it's self in confusion in the games? It's the same thing. People who are panicking lash out.
Snakefoxbox
It's just a way some people deal with letting their stress out. While there are better other ways to relieve this stress, it is a common result.
Anonymous
I know that when I have a panic attack, I feel threatened and am overwhelmed. I also feel very defensive and may lash out at people, including myself, because of feeling threatened and defensive.
Anonymous
Sometimes panic attacks can make us think in ways that aren't rational, causing us to, well, panic. That sometimes leads to us harming ourselves or others.
trisjlistens
Because something is blocking your mind, therefore it is hard for you to focus on what you are doing.
If you are in this situation to where you know you are causing harm to yourself or others, perhaps you should speak with a trusted person, or trained provider like a counselor or therapist to help with your feelings.
There must be a psychological reason to your panic attacks, please seek help to find out what it is to deal.