I feel like I overreact when my boyfriend is around girls I don't like. I have addressed it to him before but I feel like I sound crazy. Am I crazy?

Christina Hussami, MSW, LCSW

Strengths-based, solution-focused therapist focusing on helping clients find life balance and navigating down their own path leading towards overall well-being.

Ponderwillow
A good first step would be to ask why you're jealous of these girls. What about them makes you uncomfortable? Often, jealously is less about your partner, and more about one's own insecurities. Discuss these insecurities with your partner, and the jealousy may fade.
LJSharp
You are not crazy at all so don't ever think that! You love your boyfriend and care for him, of course it is going to agitate you when he is around people you don't like. You just have to find a way or learn to be civil when you are around them because your boyfriend is always going to have friends too :)
Buffee
No, in a relationship you should be sensitive of each others feelings, and not do things that make your partner uncomfortable. You are not crazy. As a boyfriend, he should be understanding of you not wanting him around girls that you don't like, and he should stop the behavior. I say this mainly if there is a reason for you not to like the girls, like if they did something to come between the two of you or have done something specifically to you. In this case, he is totally in the wrong. But, if you just dislike them because you're worried he will do something, but they haven't actually made advances at him then you need to be with someone you can trust, or you need to work through learning to trust him. You are not crazy, and if it is again the first circumstance that I named, then you should be with someone who genuinely respects you and doesn't make you feel crazy for having normal emotions.
Anonymous
No, you're not crazy. It's perfectly understandable for a girl to be that way. They may feel that their boyfriend might not be as invested in the relationship anymore. The boyfriend just needs to hear the girl out and understand why she feels that way.
supersensitiveStrength
Nope, not crazy. Everyone has "crazy" thoughts, even insecurities. First, try to find out the reason why behind them.... Are there any repetitive thoughts ("automatic thoughts"/AT) that occur during/after you see him with them? What do you dwell on during those times? How come you don't react the same way when he's with other people--do you overreact to all girls? Second, seek support. It doesn't always have to be from your boyfriend. It can be from another person you trust. It can even be from yourself.