Are you open about the fact you self-harm, or do you hide it?

Luz Cotto-Charneski, LCSW

As your therapist I will help guide and support your unique process of self-discovery. I will witness you reclaim your voice and find a life of fulfillment, purpose, and ease.

BabyJay
I hide it. It scares me knowing that one day Il have to explain my scars to people. I don't want them to know my story.
michelle2000
Personally, I hide it. It's mainly due to my anxiety though. I don't want people to see my scars and judge me based off of them or even think that I'm weak and useless because I already think that. So no, I'm not open at all about my scars. I can't even get myself to tell my therapist that I self harm, much less everyone else.
Anonymous
I think if you self-harm ,you should be open about it if you think it will stop another individual from doing it.
bubblyunicorn
actually both depending on who is it i' talking to... my level of comfort.... my relationship with the person.. how much trust there is b/w us..and much more!
Anonymous
I don't like people knowing that I had self-harmed, and I do my best to hide it from my friends and family.
Anonymous
I'm not open about self-harm, but thats because I'm afraid. I do really want to be open about it, but I feel weak if I show it to anyone. I've been open to it to my school nurse, and my closest friend, but the response I got from both of them made me feel even worse about self-harming than I was before. But I do really admire the people who are open about self-harming, and wishing that I could be as open about it as they are. I hate hiding that I'm self-harming.
ShadowMirge
I tend to hide it because I don't want to worry anyone, but I know that self harm is not something that should and can be faced alone. Sooner or later, you will need to find a person whom you can trust and share about it to them.