What is the best way to stop cutting myself?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

sherlockedabi
February 23rd, 2015 5:15pm
There are lots of things that help. You can draw or paint, listen to music or one of the more hepful ways is to hold an ice cube in your hand until it meltss
ectopicskies
Since I'm a bit of an artist, I like to draw or paint on my body. I usually get sucked up into the art and forget about my cravings. The best part is when you get into the shower and you can see the color wash off your body and go down the drain. It's like a relief to see it gone.
24Help1
You could try freezing your razor, and hopefully by the time you have finished un-freezing your razor your wanting to self-harm will be over.
Anonymous
Start by being aware of which situations are likely to trigger your urge to cut. Make a commitment that this time you will not follow the urge, but will do something else instead.
Ariel901
The best way to stop cutting is to replace it with something healthy, like crafting ,reading , writing, cooking or drawing. Just try something to keep / distract you from cutting. It may be hard at first but in the long run it is worth it and you are worth it.
beautifulsilence15
The best way to stop cutting yourself is to find another outlet for the pain you hold inside. Try working out, or listening to music. I personally enjoy writing. Writing your thoughts down on paper, instead of on your skin, can be a good way to release all your pain and make it more manageable.
FlowerInDisguise19
If you have been cutting and you want to stop, you gotta try resisting the urges to cut, try distractions and alternatives: http://becausewecandothistogether.tumblr.com/alternativesforselfharm Then start by being aware of which situations are likely to trigger your urge to cut. - Make a commitment that this time you will not follow the urge, but will do something else instead. Then make a plan for what you will do instead of cutting when you feel this urge. Things to distract you: call a friend/trusted adult and talk about something completely different take a shower (make sure you don't have razors in the shower) go for a walk or run, take a bike ride, dance like crazy, or get some other form of exercise play with a pet watch TV (change the channel if the show gets upsetting or features cutting) drink a glass of water write your thoughts and feelings down into a diary scribble on a paper scream or shout into a pillow
Anonymous
Try getting professional help or try the Butterfly Project, which you can look up on Google or something.
Macie101
Setting a goal is always helpful, and with goal comes reward. For example say you are clean for a week, now you go celebrate by going out with your friends or by eating some cake!
Anonymous
Instead of cutting yourself take a marker or a sharpie and draw a line. each line represent how much stronger you are getting!
AnnaKatee
A way that I stopped cutting was when I would feel the urge I would squeeze an ice cube. It helped me a lot, but everyone is different.
strongforce
Try to surround yourself with people who love you and will support you on your journey. Remember that relapse doesn't erase your success. Try to gather coping mechanisms and figure out which ones work with you. Remember that you can always talk to a listener if need be. It's going to be a long and tough path, but you can definitely make progress. Good luck!
EmpatheticFANDRAGON
Squeeze an ice cube in your fist and doodle wherever you want to cut, make sure to use non-toxic markers though.
helpfulKiwi11
Find something else to keep you busy, like punching your pillow, listening to music, or take a walk.
Anonymous
I personally do it, and the best way I stopped cutting is when I started to draw or put ice over my wrist instead. Yes, it is still painful but I think it is much better.
Anonymous
Find better alternatives to it. There's a lot of things you can do besides harming yourself because that is never the answer to everything. It will only make matters worse and stress you out more than you probably already are. Whatever you do do not give in. I myself have a problem with it too. I used to daily but my counselor told me to just scribble all over myself. He told me to pick up a marker or pen instead of a razor. Draw pretty designs or complete non sense draw how you feel you can draw literally anything you want or feel like. It's your body. Draw wherever you usually cut (unless you did recently and have an open wound. In that case avoid that area at all cost till it heals over. And make sure you clean it properly) Draw on your scars to cover them or if you want to make them stand out. Just please pick up a pen and not a razor.
Anonymous
Rubbing ice and/or drawing a butterfly would help, you can try them if you want, for me they worked pretty good, I really recommend them, I'd try the butterfly first but if you know it won't work go straight to the rubbing an ice cube where you use to cut idea, might be helpful, another tip I can give is to heat or make cold the marker or pen you are using to draw the butterfly, this will make you feel something, that's like the ice thing but not that strong, if it just doesn't work, the ice is your best friend